RollbackRx Is Unstable

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dmenace, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

count me as one. i glibly ignored Peter2150's attempts to guide me over a year ago concerning Rollbacks twitchiness. until i uninstalled it one time too many. hosed my system drive for sure, and my cmos i believe. still feeling the effects to this day, i must be present to press F1 upon reboot of this machine, even after replacing the harddrive (could not boot at all until i did replace it).

but the baffeling thing is, that Horizon Sys, had a wonderful opportunity after purchasing FDISR, to really get into the guts of that app and further develop it, and improve upon their current offering as well. instead, these august braincells neutered FDISR, while leaving Rollback Rx, twitchy, and (in my experience) dangerous.

another opportunity to advance a great product in the market-space, squandered by groups that are utterly clueless about business development (read Prevx). it is my belief that an organization understand it's strengths and weaknesses. coders code, those with business acumen expand the market, build trust and relationships, and make decisions that ensure growth. it seems a uniqueness in the security software industry, that folk who wouldn't recognize a business opportunity if it squated over and then s**t on them, are in charge of growth. my less than 2 cents (US).

Mike

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Do you know how many people have installed programs on their systems only to get a bsod. If everyone posted that program is junk in this forum it would turn into a junkie forum and no one would want to come here. I totally understand that if a program doesn't work as suggested or causes bsod's it should be brought to the attentio of others but as peter said not in every thread almost daily. Sure rollback has its problems and so does vista and so does xp and so does.... and even some of the apps that have their own forums in this forum.

Thanks,

Chris

3. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

hrumpf, hrumpf. trashing a physical drive is a little more than a BSOD. are you one of the Horizon Sys dweebs?

Mike

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

oK, downloaded the trial and on install it said I didnt have a MBR and Vista proceeded to try and repair itself. not a biggie as I plan to sit here the next 2 hours and reimage. Was it Rollback, or was it Returnil, or maybe DriveSentry. Screw them all. Folks, people will make you think there is a holy grail when in reality all you have is your hoe and shovel. Back to basics for me, and I really dont care about the ultimate solution.

Find what works safely for you and use it. If after 3 years you are still safe, never dump the product. AVs still rule, suites still rule and anyone, ayone who tells you differently, well, give them some time, they will see, they WILL see.

5. Chris12923

Yea I like HDS if thats what your asking but for it toasting your drive and your cmos...I doubt it..

Thanks,

Chris

6. Brian Elias

Brian Elias Registered Member

My $0.02:
    I started using Rollback Rx with v7.21 and progressed through v8.1. I thought the concept was fantastic: Being able to move through snapshots backwards and forwards very quickly, and the speed of the snapshots was great. It made FDISR seem so slow and cumbersome. BUT... Rollback would work for awhile, and then eventually I would end up with a trashed file system. With each revision I hoped the problems would be resolved, but they never were. If you can get it to work, that's great. It has great features. I am using FDISR now, which has never failed.
    I am also using Altiris SVS for software virtualization, which uses a similar scheme to Rollback, where the file structure is remapped, although on an application level not the whole file system like Rollback. SVS has been reliable for me. I hope that continues now that they have been bought out by Symantec!

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The genuine original FD-ISR will never fail. It might grow whiskers from age, but i cannot be denied that it still stands stately the test of time.

Thats a far cry from any others of it's field which is sparsely limited at best.

Rollback is always been prone to serious errors and customer fury because of one of two problems, the programmers/CEO either lack the talents to advance it beyond all it's sudden rupture cases leading to pure data disaster or else they deliberately are manipulating matters to where they stand today.

Trust is EARNED! Not imagined.

8. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

I second that :thumb:

Today my second pc with rollback installed on it failed - going into a cycle of endless reboots. So now I have two computer crashes caused by rollback. (Note this time no BSOD, maybe mbr?)

I will never trust rollback again ~ it works for a while and is great but after a while with like 12 snapshots, the file system becomes corrupt and you lose your data and files - much worse than a BSOD.

I am not bashing Rollback, merely telling it like it is. I just couldn't believe that a disaster recovery program that I paid money for causes the disasters that i otherwise wouldn't have!!!

One more note: Prior to these problems, I followed the Rollback instructions carefully and did not install drive encryption software or defragment my hard drive. I just used my pc for ordinary everyday uses - word processing and internet browsing.

And even so rollback works well but after a while it trashes your pc('s) .

So in a nutshell stick with system restore and your backup program!

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm not but Never is a totally brave word Easter :cautious: take for instance, it fails to allow you to install XP from vista being the host OS :shifty: well at least in does here

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I see where your lashing raised up from.

Vista will never be my cup of tea so i can only speak from experience on XP systems.

Cherrio!

11. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

Rollback RX is a cool idea indeed. but they still need time to deveop more on it to make it stabler.

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Right! Well Listen up Cattle Rustlers :cool: I just spent over 5 hours throwing everything, (Including the kitchen sink) at Rollback Rx 8.1 Professional, to see what damage I could cause :ninja: I deleted registry entries, I've not even heard of, I deleted Windows Folders, Files Etc Program Folders, ran Malignant Trojans, Viruses, and shady Hijackers, bassically I deleted the whole WINDOWS, and smashed it to bits with a Meat Tenderizer :argh: :p And then I clicked Rollback System, and in 30 Seconds it was like nothing had happened :D I deleted All the test snapshots, defraged with the Snapshot defragger, and everything was erased permanently. So Who in the Hell knows what you BSOD Merchants are doing, like I said some while back, you must be up to some shadyness, that you dont know how to fix :ninja:

And Easter, the tests were conducted on Windows XP Professional SP2

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No, and that is wrong to even imply it. Just like dmenace, on a clean reimaged PC I installed it and got the cant find MBR screen and it crashed. I think I know what I am doing and for some, there are issues. For others as yourself, they are not. But dont globally state that for all where there is a issue it is the usersfault.

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Why not? It's Generally true in most cases :cautious: And if thats not the case then its generally that people have so many other softwares that dont comply together, that they cant figure out which one it is, so Pick the last one they installed to hold to blame, when in fact it could be a combination of several (This is a Fact, and It's Unquestionable)

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well, yes, just like crappy software in most cases.:cool:

16. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

A couple of personally directed aggressive comments removed.

Here's the deal - be civil or find some other site to post on. Yes, I mean that. There's enough vitriol floating around the Internet. Frankly, we don't need it here as well. If you can't make a comment without blowing a gasket, try not making it until you calm down.

Regards,

Blue

17. Chris12923

There will always be issues with any program. No program will run on every single system without fail. So for you guys that have bsods from rollback or problems with it rebooting sorry it does not work for you. I have also had a problem with rollback in the past but the latest version has been flawless for me except the snapshots take two and a half minutes on my vista sp1 system. This should be fixed soon. But for everyone else that has rollback working on their systems we have a great program for what we are looking for.

Thanks,

Chris

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree, if it works for you, congrats, you have a remarkable product. But for those who dont, well, we just move on.;)

My point is, there are as many reasons as for why a certain software wont work on a PC as there are members here. It could be driver related, old software remnants, users inability to install correctly, and yes, bad software. You do what you can, contact support and one way or the other, the issue is resolved.

19. Chris12923

But people aren't moving on they just want to keep posting everywhere they can how rollback sucks not that it didnt work on their system but that it sucks in general. This is just not true.

Thanks,

Chris

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I never said that, and for a time used EAZ-FIX and loved it. So Rollback-RX falls into the catagory of all software, it may work for you, it may not work for you. Fair enough?:)

21. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

:p I bet $40 Million Dollars before the weeks end, Someones posted another Comment about FD-ISR in this thread, when it quite clearly is a Rollback thread, You just cant leave it alone can you :p

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It would appear you just won your bet.;)

23. Chris12923

I wont take your bet :p I cant afford to lose 40 mill..

Thanks,

Chris

24. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: thats a little long, how many snapshots have you got? try deleting some you dont really need.

25. Chris12923

Thanks,

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.