RollBackRX as a replacement for GoBack (?)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by celer, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celer

celer Registered Member

Hi,
    I have been using now GoBack 3 and 4 with Windows 98 and XP for quite some time and was always happy with the program. But now after upgrading to Vista 32 Symantec support replyed to my request about an update for Vista that there would be no new version of GoBack at all.
    Because of this I was searching for an alternative roll-back program. Until now I have been looking at some programs like RestoreIT (which doesn`t support Vista) or First Defense (which I can`t use because of my german language version of windows). RollBack RX so far seemes to be the best choice for me as RollBack RX 8 with Vista support will be released soon and because the program needs few disk space.

At this point I would be interested about your opinions about / experiences with RollBack RX. As I would mainly need the program to try out Shareware / Demos and to recover my OS from system crashes I wanted to know how good the program really is. An "100% clean uninstaller" sounds good but does the program really fully restore all files, INIs and the entire Registry? GoBack was able to do so and this feature would be most important for me as I always want an clean computer.
    Does RollBack RX keep it`s marketing promises (so far I have not found any tests of the program in computer magazines) or do you know another (better) alternative?

Greetings
    celer

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

rollbackrx is a fine program.
    it creates the first snapshot in about 3 seconds the ones after that take less time
    the professional version is the one you will want to trial.
    you create a snapshot name it then if anything happens to your pc .e.g malware you can press the home key before windows loads and load that snapshot and have a perfectly working system again.
    you can set it to create a snapshot every hour if you wish.
    lodore

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

A fine software indeed. At least it seems so. I have no respective knowledge of MBR-FAT changing restorers, but I've been using RollbackRX Pro 7.2.1 (current?) on my test box laptop for over a month already, and it has performed flawlesly so far. I find it very useful in testing software, if you install something, there is no need to uninstall, just restore to previous snapshot. In seconds. It is so very fast, and the snapshots are really tiny in comparison to similar apps. Also, the resource usage is very fair, I'm seeing 3 instances in task mgr, alltogether less than 7 megs. Of course you can go back and forth through snapshots, and I have noticed no lags on system startup regardless of the number of snapshots. So I can say nothing bad about Rollback, but if celer wants to use it as a primary solution against disasters, I would suggest reading the following thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=163234

also, use the search option for rollback on this fine forums, this sw has been discussed pretty thoroughly in comparison to other alternatives. Glad if I've been of any help. Regards

The Seer

4. celer

celer Registered Member

@lodore & The Seer
    Hi,
    thank you very much for your help and your feedback!
    I think I will definitivly give RollBack RX a try as soon as the new version for Vista will be released and then post my experiences in here.

Greetings
    celer

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

You're welcome celer.
    I wish you a good luck with testing.:thumb: Yes, please do post your experiences with Rollback 8 & Vista, Vista experiences are very welcome these days. Make a new thread. See ya...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  6. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Can anyone compare and contrast:

Rollback RX

Acronis True Image

RestoreIT (by Farstone)

I am looking into disater recovery software and thes 3 are at the top of my list.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hey ejr,

Depends on a disasater you want to recover from. I would suggest you start a new thread, as Acronis TI does a different kind of protection which is not discussed in ths thread. Hint: you may also want to add FD-ISR to your list.

Chers m8. :)

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

waiting "a few weeks" for the vista rollbackrx then going back to that for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.