RollbackRX and Imaging with Terabyte

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by aigle, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I did some imaging tests with RollbackRX and terabyte( IFW, IFD, BING).

While I was in Rollback snapshot A I took an image of my HD with IFD and BING respectively( say this [B]image X[/B])
    Then I uninstalled some of the software( just to make my current system stste different from the [B]image X[/B] I took), and then I made a new snapshot with RollbackRX , called B.
    Now I tried to restored my image X taken with IFD and BING one by one. In both cases result was exactly same. Image restored successfully according to BING and IFD but on boot up, RollbackRX boot screen appeared, it took control of MBR and took me straight to the last system state before image restore, that was snapshot B. The result-- no image restore infact because RollbackRX is there in MBR and it does not matter what u write in the windows file system. RoollbackRx will restore the system to the state as it was just prior to last shut down.

Then I uninstalled RollbackRX while I was in snapshot B( with the option to keep snapshot B as my system state after uninstall of RollbackRX).
    Again tried to restore Image X with IFD, I expected the image restored to be the snapshot A of RollbackRx but it was infact my original base line snapshot( say R) of RollbackRX, neither snapshot
    B nor A. Result-- IFW imaged my base line snapshot( not the snapshot A in spite of the fact that when I took image with IFW, I was in snapshot A. Same for BING.

I have posted these results as I think the results of some user are probably different than mine.
    So I want to know exactly, what is the status of imaging with terabyte utilities while using RollbackRX.

2. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Stick with ONE imaging program that works BEST (100% reliable) with your system. DO NOT mix n match imaging/backup proggies, especially those that mess around with the MBR.

The best strategy is to set the MBR to DEFAULT condition, then install the imaging application of choice.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Restoring image X should always give you the same result. That's the purpose of restore.

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I think, because of the file system used with RB, you must use the "Raw" copy option .

From Terabyte
    IFD/IFW are doing their job, as asked but there is a problem with the RB snapshots.

RB when installed will own the MBR.

This may be a genuine sticking point for RB and Terabyte apps. :(

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Have you tested it. see my post in the other thread. WHen I last looked at it there was no support for external drives.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Are these two programmes same- EAZ-FIX and RollbackRx.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

According my readings at Wilders upto now, they look exactly the same.
    If that is true, it must be the same developer.
    It's impossible that two different developers would create exactly the same software. How it is done, I don't know, but it's easy to do, just like selling the same washing machine under different names.

At work, we also bought a software from another company with the source programs included. We changed the programs a little bit and it looks like our software. :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  10. laqui

laqui Registered Member

Hi.
    This is a couple of questions I asked the HDS support team and the reply I get to them:

guest (Christian)
    2006-08-16 11:29:15 Hi.
    In which way the advance setting "GHOST=1" changes the behavior of Rollback?
    If, for example, I use Image for Windows within a BartPE environment, the image that I get, has all the snapshots or only the baseline?
    How can I get an image with all the snapshots?
    Thanks in advance.
    Christian.
    Andrew Shen
    2006-08-16 11:43:11 Rollback provides protection by monitoring and tracking hard disk sectors, sectors used by one snapshot do not appear as used in another snapshot. To get an image with all the snapshots, you would have to image the drive with sector by sector option.
    Ghost=1 option allows you to image the drive within a snapshot. For example, you want to image the snapshot 5, you would first restore to the snapshot 5. Press HOME to enter subsytem console, run "ghost=1", select Boot from floppy to go to command prompt, image the disk. The image will contain the data from snapshot 5. Thank you.

Bye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.