rollback sucks

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by tk123, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tk123

tk123 Registered Member

I recently installed some software called rollback it was an older version so I updated it said internal error I tried to go back to the old same thing so I uninstalled then I went to defrag and it said rollback now does the operation so I went to search and tried to delete of course it said cannot delete write protected or used by another program I tried to go to task manager and msconfig and windows and could not find now I am unable to defrag could somone please give me step by step thanks in advance

2. tk123

tk123 Registered Member

attachment to previous thread

I even deleted the shared dll only thing left is configuration settings and the file with basses and indexes sorry dident include this info in last thread

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello tk123.

Rollback Rx has an option (menu on the left in the main window) to defrag snapshots. You cannot use Windows' built-in defrag while while Rollback Rx is installed. The only way is to use Rollback's defrag. I'm sorry, but I don't quite follow you there... please explain what did you tried to delete?

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

YEP. A FLAW!! By Design.

Be very careful that YOU NOT DEFRAG! with Rollback Rx. Unlike the flexibility of a FD-ISR, if you defrag with Rollback Rx, it will not paint you a very pretty picture. I learned this only recently myself when after a simple defrag my icons got blotched over with what looked like some dual layer slop job.

Theres a reason Rollback Rx commands to defrag, and that's because it's part of it's makeup and any attempt otherwise will leave you with a bitter pill to stomach.

On an aside, i really kind of like Rollback Rx myself in some ways, but other ways it makes me very wary of it. All in all though it's a nice rollback program but sorely lacks where FD-ISR doesn't.

5. tk123

tk123 Registered Member

that still does not answer my question will someone please help me to get rid of the remaining rollback files the ones that were left after I uninstalled the extensions are
    c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\kasperskylab\avp6\dataupdater\temporaryfiles\update Ive tried every way I know to get rid of them I cant defrag until then thanks a million

6. tk123

tk123 Registered Member

and if no one knows how to is there another way to defrag

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Oh Contrare :cautious: Rollback Surpasses where FD-ISR clearly lacks. Rollbacks Snapshots can be restored to within Minutes, whereas FD-ISR doesnt have that option, and each snapshot is a Clone of the Hard Drive, thus HUGE!!! GB Size Sbapshots where as Rollback Supports up to 60000 Snapshots with as little as 2 Seconds for each Snapshot, FD takes a few minutes to a Few Hours dependant on your Hard Drive Size. The beauty of Rollback is its Daily or Hourly Snapshots for instance with default Settings a Snapshot is taken Daily at System Startup, so say, If you startup at 9:00am, and get infected by a Virus, or A BSOD and Windows wont start at 9:04am, Rollback will Restore to 9:00am that Day :D FD-ISR is yet unable to do this :cautious:

8. BuckSnort_

BuckSnort_ Registered Member

No offense, but why not ask your question at the Horizon forum that deals with this program?

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello tk123.

Reinstall the software, and then perform regular uninstall (using RollbackRx's uninstaller). I'm afraid the manual uninstall won't do. Rollback resides in MBR, and is not a software to be tinkered with. If reinstalling fails, I would use a backup to restore my system.

My regards. :)

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Use YourUninstaller! Pro :cool:

11. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

tk123,

I really don't understand how this happened, but a 'dirty uninstall' is always possible with just about any software. Unfortunately, the uninstall programs provided with most software are far from perfect, and that's a fact.

However, if you will answer the following questions, I will try to help you...
    • Did you purchase a license for Rollback Rx? - if so, did you activate it?
    • Which Rollback Rx version and build number are you using?
    • At what point did you do your defrag? - with Rollback's defragger or a 3rd party defragger?
    • Has your incomplete Rollback-uninstall brought about any other problems? - if so, explain fully.
    • At this point, are you able to reinstall Rollback Rx?

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Then could you be as so kind to politely point to EXACTLY where those snapshots are stored? FD-ISR are in the .arx format.

I've yet to come across the Rollback Rx snaps but according to another user here Rollback only adds/removes as is incremental type of changes geared to only a single WHOLE (baseline) snapshot as reference to points-in time, whereas FD-ISR creates ENTIRE snapshots of GB size as you say.

I would be etrenally grateful for any insight into those. Thanks

13. pvsurfer

Easter~ My only purpose in replying here is to address your comments, hopefully providing the insight you requested. I have no desire to participate in a FD-ISR vs RB debate.

You ask where RB's snapshots are stored. They are stored in a hidden and special partition on the C-drive. The partition is special because unlike all Windows partitions, it is not defined to Windows Partition Table (so as far as Windows is concerned it doesn't exist). The snapshot database is defined in an RB-Proprietary Table which is only readable by RB's programs. This is RB's way of making the snapshots immune to any Windows operation and to render the snapshots invulnerable to malware attacks.

You are correct in that any RB snapshot subsequent to the initial (Baseline) snapshot is not a full snapshot of the Windows partition or drive that RB protects, but they are not incremental, they are more like differential backups (to the Baseline). In this way each subsequent snapshot to the Baseline references and supplements the Baseline, much like a differential disk-image references and supplements the original disk-image. This technique reduces the size of the snapshots and at the same time allows older snapshots to be deleted without affecting the integrity of newer snapshots. That would not be possible if the snapshots were incremental. The only snapshot that can not be deleted is the Baseline (although the Baseline may be brought up-to-date at any time).

Hope that clears up any confusion. ;)
    ~pv

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Yes indeed, that does it well enough for my curiosity. Thanks

I also see the point in Stealth locale to keep return snapshots from tamper, so that is a good technique without question.

Contrary to any suspicion though, it's not so much my intent to make comparisons to take anything away from Rollback Rx, nothing could be farther from reality. In fact, i rather fancy Rollback Rx's uniqueness and am quite satisfied on the drives i keep them on. My only interest was like anyone with a common curiosity as to Where & Why?

Thanks For Clearing That Up. Helpful Reply. :)

15. pvsurfer

tk123~

Since you never replied to my post (#11) offering to help, I can only assume that all is ok now, and if that's the case, that's good.

Re the left-over entry that you complained about (above quote), I just noticed that entry was created by Kaspersky and not Rollback Rx!

~pv

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  16. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Hi pv,

RB 7.2.1 has been working wonderfully for me, but I was always curious about the same questions EASTER posed. So I just wanted to thank you for that great explanation. :thumb:

Jo Ann

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Booting into another snapshot in FD-ISR doesn't take long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.