Rollback Rx...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by fce, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

i don't want to install a lot of safeguarding software that will slowdown and experience a lot of software conflict issue.

so for now i'll stay with this stable software (KIS7 and Rollback Rx)....after couple of months i'll try image backup software, i also need to review more thread/review before i go with image backup.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's most probably the reason, why I don't know much about backup/restore of RBRx-snapshots. Maybe they don't backup/restore at all or don't care losing all their RBRx-snapshots, except one. :D

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I made a typo, meant low on reliablity. You've missed the point of a few posters. Namely that Rollback has not been stable for a lot of people. Hope it works out for you.

4. fce

fce Registered Member

that's why i challenge all the user who experience problem with RBRx - Chkdsk error to give me step by step procedure i'll check it myself....if i experience that crashing issue i'll throw RBRx since i still have 12days before activating this product.

i run chkdsk manually and do hard restart (i think 3times) Chkdsk run automatic but never experience that crashing issue while running CHKDSK.

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi fce,
    this is not the right procedure to replicate the "chkdsk bug". You shouldfirst try to fill about 70% of your disk/partition with snapshots, delete some, defrag them, create some more and then try the hard restart.
    This bug become visible after you run rollback Rx for 1-2 months when lots of snapshots have being created, deleted and defragged.;)

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

For the moment backing-up all the snapshots serves little. They will be lost as soon as you update Rollback RX; so what is the meaning in creating them since they'll be lost anyway?:p

7. fce

fce Registered Member

oh. i used almost 10% of my HDD (all of my software is already installed) and it will take me more years to use 70% of my HDD. Maybe when i reached that 70% ....horizon data will release new version to fixed that chkdsk problem.

i hope when i reached that 70% HDD capacity, still i'm one of the lucky one :D

for now i'll enjoy this Rollback Rx

8. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Thats the thig you either love it or hate it :) I love it to, but just the other day on one of my customers pc they received error 8002 (I think it was) MBR invalid. Now I have never heard of this so I don't know if it was Rollback error or hard disk error but neverless they could not access windows. I used ATI 10 boot disc to backup drive. Fixed MBR but now I was at the snapshot I created for them in April. Luckily they still backed up some of the important files they needed. So as much as I love Rollback it is possible to lose info. If they would have used Rollback to store their snapshots to another disc they would have been ok but they didn't.

Thanks,

Chris

9. ErikAlbert

I hope they put this as a feature on RollbackRx's website too along with the other problems of RBRx and ask $23 for it instead of $69 and let them scratch the word "robust" as well. :p

10. fce

fce Registered Member

alright i'll leave this thread first and go to Acronis Forum for a while :D

i just can't ignore you warning guys, instead of wasting playing games for this weekend i'll spend time using ATI10 (+ RBRx8 ) :D

11. ErikAlbert

Well let us know your experiences with this combination. I'm curious myself.

12. fce

fce Registered Member

Geez! I find ATI10 features more good compare to Rollback Rx :D

and they work the same except for 15mins time to make backup vs. 1minute of RBRx.

Is it worth it to keep RBRx if i will use ATI10? :ninja:

If i got BSOD or corrupted files i can easily restore my back up with ATI, same with RBRx....i really don't know what's the big difference between the two.

What i liked with ATI is i can create bootable rescue media (RBRx need BartPE which i can't create because its not compatible with vista)

Btw, what is the advantage of enabling acronis startup recovery manager?

13. fce

fce Registered Member

i perform Backup and restore with ATI10.....it take 5minutes to restore myy back up.

but got this message when loading acronis during restoring...PCI: cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 00:01.0

hmmmm...i'm thinking of using ATI10 only to save money ;)

14. ErikAlbert

Trial the full evaluation version of ShadowProtect Desktop v3 first, to see the difference, Recovery CD included.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Exactly similar problem experienced myself. Lost data as in ALL snaps created with exception of first one, and that turned my gut. On a positive as mentioned, and especially with that ongoing issue, the prudent/wisest protection is to keep RB snaps onto alternative media.

Personally am looking forward to the new version. I harbor a rather sneaky suspicion that finally some complaints made there way thru chain of command (revenue) ;) and even more beneficial improvements/results are on their way for us.

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm thinking this. With Rollback 8.1 released next week, can we upgrade without uninstalling 8.0 o_O Cause I dont want to lose some snapshots, and besides repeated install/uninstall shags out your hard drive :cautious:

17. fce

fce Registered Member

i talked to horizon data and they advise me to uninstall v8....im dissapointed because i have a good snapshot that will be lost if upgaraded to v8.1

erik, i'll try SP3 (edit: after checking price of SP3...i'll just try ATI10 :) )

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  18. ErikAlbert

Backup/Restore is always slower than Immediate System Recovery, that's why it's called "Immediate".
    I can't answer that question, because I don't like RBRx at all.
    If you would ask to keep FDISR along with ATI10, than I would say : YES, YES, YES.
    Yes you can restore your computer after a BSOD or even worse, like a zeroed harddisk. You only need 2 things :
    1. Acronis Rescue CD, make 2 or 3 of them and use QUALITY CD's, like Verbatim.
    2. An UP-TO-DATE image on an external harddisk. (Don't use DVD's with ATI).
    Acronis Forum is full of disaster posts with DVD's.

You don't see the difference, because you just started. Trust me, there is a difference and one day you will SEE the difference. Give it time.
    Every decent Image Backup software has a Recovery CD or a function to create one.
    As I said before winVISTA is a pain, I'm not surprised that BartPE isn't compatible with winVISTA.
    M$ didn't have to create winVISTA, M$ had to improve winXP.
    Never used that one, including the "Secured Zone".
    Keep in mind that ATI is also bloatware with useless functions, especially ATI10.
    You need ATI10, because that is the only version of ATI that is compatible with winVISTA.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  19. fce

fce Registered Member

after using RBRx and ATI10....its redundant if i will retain RBRx with ATI. I think same with FDISR. So for now I'll try ATI10 only (cheaper than RBRx too)

I dont plan to use DVD to backup ATI.

Btw, to ATI user... how can i back up using external HDD. I'm trying to check the main panel but can't find the option to save my ATI backup to ext. HDD. Also if i uninstalled ATI all my back up will be useless (same with Rollback Rx)?

really, i thought its the same startup Rollback Rx is using. if i will not enable acronis startup recovery manager i cant have any option to choose to recover during startup?

20. ErikAlbert

The backup and restore Wizard guide you through the backup or restore process.
    You can also store that info in schedules.
    Your images remain on your external harddisk after uninstalling ATI.

21. ErikAlbert

Any specific questions about ATI will be answered in the Acronis Forum.

22. ErikAlbert

As I said before, using ATI10 alone without FDISR/RBRx is a good decision. FDISR/RBRx = luxury, you can live without it.

23. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

If you have even one Seagate drive (either internal or external) connected to your PC, you may download/install Seagate DiscWizard which is a stripped down version of ATI v10 (no incrementals or scheduled backups). I've got DiscWizard on my Vista PC and it works great. I have ATI v9 on my old XP PC and found ATI most reliable when only making full backup images and avoiding Secure Zone. I miss the ability to schedule automatic backups on my new PC, but not enough to purchase ATI v10 when DiscWizard is free. :)

I understand Seagate offers a similar program called MaxBlast for owners of Maxtor drives. If your only Seagate or Maxtor drive is an external one, it must be connected to your PC in order to install or use DiscWizard or MaxBlast.

24. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Do you have access to a XP machine? BartPE/UBCD cannot be made on a Vista pc but, once you have the bootable CD, that will work fine on a Vista pc.

Graham

25. fce

fce Registered Member

never mind. i created bootable disk from ATI10. thanks anyway.

i'm still building some confidence using ATI backup/restore.

btw, i created ATI full back up.... can i just copy that full backup files from my drive D directly to my external HDD? or do i need to use ATI feature (same as RBRx create back up)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.