Rollback rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by gergy, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Chris, I bought a licence today with 50% discount( as my trial was over), and they have very good support indeed, especially the live chat.

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Glad to hear you purchased.

Bad news. My hard drive was bad. This is the reason my clone was going slow when it was complete I guess. This time Windows CD couldn't format it. I could try some software to repair it but it is old and small anyway. Sooo unfortunately I will not be able to run the tests right now. I apologize to you guys. :(

Sorry,

Chris

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

That's OK, Chris, we appreciate all of the effort. :cool:

Acadia

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Ditto. Many thanks Chris. Actually that is good info in and of itself, as it says it wasn't the software.

Pete

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Recently I read about RestoreIT and BootBack. How we can compare these to Rollback.

Thanks

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Bootback and FirstDefense are identical programs. Bootback is sold by Leapfrog and FirstDefense is sold by Raxco, but the two companies are affiliated somehow and the programs are exactly identical.

Acadia

7. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Sorry to hear that Chris - been there myself (twice). :(

However, now that you need a new (replacement) drive, it's an opportune time to find out if a TI image (which should contain a RBRx-modified MBR) will restore to a 'virgin' drive!

Best of luck, pv

8. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Correct me if I am wrong guys but we still do not have a definite answer on whether an image created with TI or Image for Windows or whatever with RBRx installed could be restored successfully to a new hard drive in the same system. That, is could be restored without first uninstalling RBRx on the old drive which might fail.

This is a key question to be answered in order for us to have confidence in using this product along with imaging programs.

Gary

9. pvsurfer

Gary, you are correct. From my post today in another RBRx thread to that issue...

~pv

10. huntnyc

Sorry I stepped on you there but I forget which thread is following which topic?

Gary

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Where is this thread pvsurfer!

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, and what about restoreIT. Any experience by any user here?

13. pvsurfer

14. pvsurfer

Yes, I have used RestoreIT and GoBack... I mention the latter because they are both very similar in their operation... I found them both to work 'as advertised', but they both consume quite a bit of system resorces!

For me it came down to FDISR or RBRx. I decided to go with RBRx because it seems to have all of FDISR's capabilities ...using lots less storage in the process!

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

thanks for the information, pvsurfer.

16. huntnyc

Just FYI, I did another uninstall of RBRx and this time, I had to reactivate Bootit NG which had been installed in its own partition. So, I do see a little more clearly how deeply RBRx must be related to the MBR and modifying it. It also reaises the question in my mind again as to hard drive failure and how restoring an image would be affected if unable to uninstall RBRx before that failure.

Gary

17. pvsurfer

Gary~ Clearly, BootNG modifies the MBR so that it can provide a multi-boot environment, so I don't understand why you are even 'playing around' with two programs - when each one modifies the MBR out of necessity in order to do what they do. o_O Imho, that's looking for problems! ~pv

18. huntnyc

Yes, you are probably right. I just have used it as my partitioning program. But, I will take a break for a little while with RBRx.

Again, the problem of needing to uninstall RBRx even to make changes in partition sizes or creating new partitions is also something to be aware of.

Gary

19. pvsurfer

How often are you changing/adding partitions? That should be a very infrequent necessity, whereas protecting your PC with RBRx (or whatever) should be standard operating procedure. ;)

20. huntnyc

Yes, will give what you said some thought.

Thanks.

Gary

21. pvsurfer

Imho, that thought process and decision shouldn't take more than 30 seconds! ;)

~pv

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I can understand the nature of ATI, FD, GoBack and Rollback( of course not all are similar) but I have no idea where Norton Ghost fits in all this scenario. What will be it advantge/ drawback over others.

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Norton GHost is another imaging program similiar in nature to ATI

Pete

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So no major difference between the two?

25. pvsurfer

This discussion probably belongs in another thread, but having used both, I'll give you my opinion. They each function quite differently, but with an identical purpose - creating an image or a clone of any of your hard drives. You can also choose to image any logical unit (partition) of a hard drive.

Of the two, Ghost is a more bloated program as it combines the original Ghost design with PowerQuest's DriveImage (Symatec acquired PQ a few years ago). Furthermore, Symantec's support is practically non-existant!

I have found TrueImage to be a better (although not a perfect) product as long as your intent is to backup to some other hard drive (as TI does not natively support optical drives such as DVD). I have already expressed the only concern I have with TI (regarding its ability to restore a virgin disk if its image was created with RBRx loaded in the MBR), but I would have the same concern if I were using Ghost.

~pv

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.