Rollback rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by gergy, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb:

Acadia

2. Avail

Avail Registered Member

I am puzzled over this, has anyone use this software before? How much Diskspace will it take up? If you only have 40G and u have use 12G up can u use such a program? Does it image or takes snapshots of your crirtical system like Windows GOback? Or can it do both but u can choose?

Can FDIR do this too? I read that if u take a snap shot of your system and it is 12G that means it will double this! This is big!!!

Avail

3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

It takes very little space - more than the manual implies but not much.

You should have more than enough space - remember this program takes over the MBR - so don't try to use it if you have GB already installed.

It takes snapshots based on schedule or events (like install or boot).

I use FD ISR on a different machine and I like both equally. They are different.

FD takes fullsize copies and Rolloback uses sector mapping hence space difference.

In fact I bought a 2nd copy of Rolback for my dad's machine

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Just understand how Rollback works. If you take a snapshot and then add 1gb of data, take a snapshot and delete 1gb, take a snapshot and add 1gb, take a snapshot and delete 1 gb, your drive right now, has an extra 2 gb of space used. To reclaim that space you would need to take another snapshot, then delete the old snapshots and run Rollback defragger. While nothing like FDISR's doubling of the space used(1 snapshot), Rollback can consume disk space.

Pete

5. starfish_001

indeed - and yes it uses space but nothing compared to FD-ISR.

6. Avail

Avail Registered Member

thanks guys! So u 2 r saying that using First Defense ISR will consume less disk space then Rollback RX? Can u explian? I thought both consume the same space.

7. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I think he's saying Rollback Rx will use less disk space that First Defense.

Thanks,

Chris

8. starfish_001

much less space than FD

But both apps are excellent

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Rollback uses MUCH less disk space than FirstDefense. They use two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT technologies to accomplish the same thing.

Acadia

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Been following this thread and have some questions and as usual risk making an arse of my self (again) :D

Looks good

Can I do "bare metal" restore with Rollback snapshots?

Or is this designed more for "instant" recovery?

If there is a software snafu and cannot reboot is there a use for this app.

Can the snapshots be kept on an external drive and used for salvage in the event of HD failure?

If snapshots are made will a disc imaging app save them?

I imagine the appropriate sequence is; Rollback s'shots as req then image disk for safety then further usage then s'shots then new image ?

AS an aside;
    I seem to be seeing that many disc imaging apps have conflicts with the MBR (not that I specifically understand what that is) although I see some users here are using eg ATI & Terabyte

Lost in the maze again, Longboard.

11. Peter2150

If by "bare metal" restore you mean in case of hardware failure, no it won't help there.

Instant recovery from any software mess, absolutely

If there is a software mess where you can't reboot is exactly what this software is designed for. You can intercept the boot process right after the the bios checks and do a restore of a previous snapshot from there. Rollback even creates a snapshot of the crashed system, and you can recover files from that.

At this time snapshots in Rollback can't be kept on an external drive to be used in event of hardware failure, but they are working on that for a future version.

You can image with Acronis True Image, but the image will only contain what is in the snapshot you take the image from. Unique data in other snapshots won't be imaged. The MBR(Master Boot Record) might be an issue if you restore over a previous system. Then all that is required is running FDISK/mbr(see the rollback website). This is because Rollback modifies the MBR so it can intercept the boot process early on, long before the operating system starts.

Hope this helps,

Pete

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

All of Peter's answers are :thumb:. If you wish, you can download the Rollback users manual and read it before purchasing.

Acadia

13. Longboard

Thankyou

@Peter2150

Which immediate recovery system are you using?
    I noticed you had some issues with FRDISR recently and seemed to have gone over to Rollback. Have you gone back?

@Acadia
    LOL thanks, I know, I'm trying to avoid too much brain strain and half the time I cant understand some of the terminology and the other half none of it :blink: I am cheating by trying to pick the brains of those here whom I have come to respect.

ANd so to be clear, if I am using either of these instant recovery apps, which, both have good reps so far:
    which can do individual file recovery?
    which will allow Disc imaging without conflict, or which Imaging app do you use?

This theme runs through several threads over and over!

Very contentious and many favourites.

As I recall Diginsight ran some personal tests in a previous thread which seemed to fade away at the end.

After gratefully recieved comments here
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=123526

I have realised I am happy to spend some $ to get peace of mind and I dont really want to spend hours screwing with my system trialling what you guys have probably done already. (I realise my setup is likely different to yours)

@Peter
    i noticed the FDISR is always the "C" drive, what if the snapshot is stored on another partition?

I have 250G HD, C has OS and apps 80g, F has 170G for storage and data back up.
    Have current Ghost image on external USB HD of 80g

Happy also to spend $ for bigger external HD or even go to extent of mounting internal HD, although, this seems a bit superflous with the great functionality of USB drives. Transfer speed is not critical to me.

Thanks for your support
    sorry if I have HJ this thread for personal gain

LOL Still in a haze in the maze

LBD

PS :ATI I know it's many peoples' fave but I cant help but notice the forum here with some problems for many users (nothing to compare of course so this might be a bit unfair)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  14. Peter2150

Hi Longboard

I skipped the quote this time.:D

1. I am using both FDISR and Rollback. Rollback on my desktop and FDISR on my laptop. I managed to find some obscure bug in FDISR, that is affecting it on my desktop. I've been working with Raxco(and indirectly Leapfrog) on it, but so far no go. Regardless I will probably keep FDISR on my laptop and Rollback on the desktop. Both a raid issue, and the way I use the two machines. I know you are going to ask, but I'll save that.:D

2. Rollback offers the advantage with individual file recovery. If you get a non recoverable crash with FDISR you can boot to a secondary and repair the primary, but you lose anything the primary had. With Rollback when you restore to a secondary, it creates a snapshot of the crashed system. And all though you can't boot it, you can recover files from it.

3. Imaging/backup Both have advantages and disadvantages. I use Acronis True image and Image for Windows. With FDISR, you image the whole disk so it takes at least twice the time. Rollback can have an mbr issue which is solveable per the website(FDISK). Also Rollback only images the snapshot you image from. It doesn't capture all the snapshots. On restore FDISR will have all the snapshots, Rollback won't. Also a file back up program like Retrospect won't work with Rollback. It's open file API isn't compatible and you get the BSOD.

4. With FDISR you can only store snapshots on the C: drive. No Option. ROllback I am not sure as you can protect other drives, but I haven't tried this.

5. Re you query about ATI, I know there seem to be a lot of issues, but I only use it's simple mode, image the whole disk. Nothing fancy.

Hope this helps.

Pete

15. Chris12923

All the questions I tried to answer are from Longboard.

If you use HDS Clone http://www.horizondatasys.com/product_page.html?page_id=115&product_name=HDS Clone which is free to users of Rollback Rx this should be possible. Unfortunately it does not work with Sata drives. Or at least not my Promise Sata Raid setup. But it is supposed to be good for hard drive imaging/cloning.

As Peter said yes after the bios boots but before Windows loads Rollback Rx allows you to hit the home key and restore a working snapshot from earlier. Also as he said you can also restore the files from the crashed system as well.

Again using HDS Clone which is free to Rollback Rx users it seems like this would be possible. If you want to be absolutely sure I would contact the developer. But from the looks of their page it looks like it will work.

This seems correct. You should only need the image in case of drive failure and again HDS Clone should work for you and freee :)

Yes many of them do. example is you can not use Acronis True image installed in windows to restore an image with Rollback Rx installed. Although you can create an image. You must uninstall Rollback Rx then restore the image then reinstall Rollback Rx. Again you should be fine using HDS Clone. Sorry to keep repeating it but it seems to be the best answer. That is use the program made for Rollback Rx.

Not making an arse out of yourself at all. It is good to ask questions!!

No ned for bigger hard drives. Unless you have huge amount of data on them.

Just for the record to restore a snapshot with Rollback Rx takes like seconds most of the time not even minutes for the most part. On my system at least.

Not really to many problems. Just some pople have more problems than others. I have used 8 and 9 with no real complaints and I used in simple mode and some advanced features.

I hope this helps and I know some of the questions have already been answer but thought I could second them and also maybe answer in a different way. If you have any more questions please just ask :)

I doubt highly that you will dissappointed.

Thanks,

Chris

16. Peter2150

Hi All

To update one thing Chris said. Before the latest version, HDSClone, had to me limited usefulness as it didn't have any drivers for external drives. The new version has this Ghost=1 feature to use ghost. I gave it a quick whirl, but Rollbacks boot from floppy option was just that, boot from a floppy. Unfortunately all my ghost, and recovery disk things are on CD's. Since I can boot from a CD, I thought that would work. It didn't

Pete

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Longboard, I was going to post some answers to some more of your questions but I believe that Peter beat me to it! :blink:

Acadia

18. starfish_001

HDSClone is not useful for me not NTFS write support / ghost support no floppy drive so stuck again unless I use TI 9

I spoke to tech support the other day and they said they were working on a better product that integrated inmaging and stored snapshots on separate media - this will be great

19. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

It`s kind of disappointing that they don`t have ntfs, just Fat or Fat32. I think that most NT users are using ntfs now. Of course I could be wrong. :)

20. Longboard

Overwhelming response, Thanks guys.

So now just one problem:

What imaging back-up can I use with Rollback?

-I saw the HDS clone at the website but it seems suspiciously lacking in detail!
    and I note the previous comments about problems

-did I understand correctly there is an option for "ghost" in the bootup. Is that Symantec ghost? Will it run the usual GUI? (confess to having had good use out of ghost previously but it seems not to be a fave here as part of reviled Symantec)

You mention uninstalling Rollback and reinstalling for imaging: eehhh could you make that a bit clearer?

Does that apply to all the other imaging apps :terabyte, Retrospect, Drive image, Restore IT, Novastore etc

Coming out of the fog :blink:

LBD

21. Peter2150

I don't uninstall Rollback for imaging, no need. I image with Acronis and Image for WIndows. I believe the Ghost refered to is Ghost 2003, although I guess the newer versions also can use boot disks. It didn't work for me as it only works from floppy disk, and all my recovery stuff is on CD.

HDSCLone, looks like a copy of Ghost 2003, but it lacks drivers for external drives.

Pete

22. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Well guys, my preferences for the moment are :

For Image Backup on my external harddisk
    I see only 3 possibilities in alphabetical order :

1. BootIt Next Generation of Terabyte
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

2. Norton Ghost of Symantec
    http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/backup_recovery/ghost10/

3. True Image of Acronis
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/

I prefer "BootIt Next Generation".
    I need Image Backup anyway in case of disk crashes.
    I'm not a big fan of using DVD/CD's as backup media, but "BootIt NG" has that possibility, in case I need it.
    I'm not a big fan of changing partitions after winXPproSP2 is installed, but "BootIt NG" has that possibility, in case I need it.
    I'm not going to entrust my Image Backup to some freeware with an unpredictable future either.

For System Restore
    I see only 3 possibilities in alphabetical order :

1. FirstDefense-ISR of Raxco Software
    http://www.raxco.com/products/fdisr/

2. Rollback Rx Professional of Horizon Datasys
    http://www.horizondatasys.com/product_page.html?page_id=89

3. ShadowUser of ShadowStor
    http://www.shadowstor.com/products/ShadowUser/

I prefer "Rollback Rx Professional", if I use my brain.
    Compared with FD-ISR, Rollback Rx Pro seems to be the winner in speed, space and possibilities.
    I prefer "ShadowUser", if I use my intuition.
    It will be a difficult choice.

23. Chris12923

Are you saying you have successfully restored an image (system partition) using Acronis while Rollback is installed? From my exp. and from what I am told by the developers this is not possible at this time. Or are you saying you backup non system partitions?

Thanks,

Chris

24. Peter2150

Hi Chris

No only for taking the image. I have no reason to restore an image with Rollback installed. I would be restoring the image to a brand new blank drive. If I have to restore an image to a drive with Rollback installed, it would mean Rollback has failed.

Pete

25. Longboard

Confusion city
    Two threads "Rollback Rx" going; both stuffed with useful info

As per the post above
    @Peter this was posted elsewhere
    What does it mean wrt to what you have just said above

I imagine realistically (for my needs)I would do a complete drive image for each backup

Regards.

(back in the maze wading through 55 page manuals for other apps :blink: )
    (you computer smarties make it sound so easy,LOL, damn you all to hell :D )

LBD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.