Rollback rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by gergy, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gergy

gergy Registered Member

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Rollback Rx is a very nice program. Just released not long ago. I would not think of this the same as DeepFreeze or ShadowUser and the like because it works a bit differently. I would compare it to Raxco's First Defense. One of the main differences is that Rollback Rx can have up to 60,000 snapshots among other things. Took me about 10 seconds to do a restoring of a snapshot compared to about 10 minutes to restore a disk image. Great for beta testing. You can also keep files and add them to a snapshot. Many features including great tech support. Sorry if I went overboard but it is a great program and I would recommend it highly. Glad to see other people noticed it.

Thanks,

Chris

3. This program sounds like First Defense ISR on steroids! It also sounds like it blows programs like GoBack out of the water. A nice find indeed!

4. gergy

gergy Registered Member

What makes me think of DeepFreeze / SU / WinRollBack is the ability to restore the system to a clean state after each reboot. But it goes indeed further by allowing storing and re-using snapshots of the hard disk.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am not sure by what they call a snapshot. This makes it hard to compare to First Defense, so i have one question.

Taking a scenario that has happened to me with First Defense.

I do something that corrupt's my system and it crashes. System flat won't boot. Says a critical window file is missingor corrupt. I can't even get into Safe mode.

How does Rollback Rx handle this. Or can it.

This situation is a breeze with First Defense.

6. ithink

ithink Guest

I think what would make this product the best would be if you could save your restore times to a cd/dvd/external hard drive. Now that would be really great, but RestoreIT does allow you to do this, so I find that a better feature incase of hard drive failure. In what ways does Rollback Rx protect you against hard drive failure?

7. Peter2150

Another good question. Now FDISR does actually provide a way of protecting you against hard drive failure. Tickles me because of the reliability.

8. gergy

gergy Registered Member

From Rollback Rx web page:
    "Based on a patent pending technology, RollBack Rx™ only takes 0.07% of total hard disk space and allows users to create up to 60,000 snapshots"

For those interested, the patent referred to might be:

http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=WO2005050386&F=0

Basically describing incremental snapshots.

9. Peter2150

Didn't have time to read the whole patent, but basically that doesn't answer my original question. I suspect though this is more like Goback on steriods, then FDISR on steriods. I say that as in the scenario I described I don't think this program would help a bit.

10. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Looks very interesting but it seems more like Goback than FDISR as Peter says.

"Didn't have time to read the whole patent, but basically that doesn't answer my original question. I suspect though this is more like Goback on steriods, then FDISR on steriods. I say that as in the scenario I described I don't think this program would help a bit."

11. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

In a system failure you press the home key as you reboot and that`ll take you to your snapshot/s. Don`t know about storing in other places yet.

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Does it save system states, or is it a drive imaging program? Or both? (kind of looks like both)

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

14. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I saw that, too.. I don't think it's just for servers, you can get it as a single user home license as well.. not too terribly much more, either.. just about $5 more. I guess if you had a pretty static system that could work just fine. I would want the pro, though.

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmm, yes, upon reading the faq, to me it sort of sounds like GoBack, but whereas GoBack is constantly monitoring sector changes, Rollback only notes the sector changes whenever you tell it to (the snapshots). That's why you would need so many snapshots, to keep track of all the changes that your system is constanly making. My guess is that each Snapshot is actually only a "snapshot" of the changes, and not the entire c:drive, which is why each Snapshot can be so small; so unlike FirstDefense, there are not other bootable Snapshots that you can play around in with different software configurations (like having different partitions).
    Even though I have never used it, Rollback sounds to me a lot like RestoreIt.

Acadia

16. Peter2150

This would make me really wonder if it would help you if you badly trashed the system stuff. I would be curious if someone has tested this recovery ability. I know with FDISR, I have really put this to the test and it has been 100% reliable.

Pete

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

This Rollback program may be a good program for folks that like GoBack but do not like the drag that GoBack puts on your system. Like I said, it appears similar to GoBack (even the screen shots look somewhat similar) but YOU decide when you want it to note the changes in your system, whereas with GoBack, you have no control over it. I would actually like to play with this Rollback, but it probably needs control over the Master Boot Record, just like most, if not all, of the other instant recovery programs, and that makes it a no-no to have more than one of them on your system at a time. And I am not about to uninstall FD just to play; not willing to play without a "safety net". ;)

Acadia

18. controler

controler Guest

Merry Christmas :D

I know there are some VMware users here but has anyone tried microsofts shared computer toolkit? It would be nice to see some posts fro people using it.
    It is free and I know there is alot of people here that like free stuff. I have tested some pretty nasty stuff on this system. Oh but I also have PG beta on it which I am only using for testing. Need some reatime no matter what.
    This is a pretty bare system. Only PG and windows firewall.

I have not tried roolback rx but have tried most of the others.

19. Peter2150

I am afraid my sentiments are like those of Acadia. I will play with a lot of stuff, but if it requires disabling or taking of First Defense I draw the line.

Another thing relative to the Microsoft toolkit. I can pick up the phone and talk with Raxco is I have any issues. Ever try getting help from Microsoft.

I am afraid on these types of programs I am like a broken record. FDISR FDISR. etc.

20. Heco

Heco Registered Member

I am much tempted to buy it. The trial version works like a champ:D

21. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

There`s going to be an update later this month to fix a few bugs...nothing serious. I don`t know the exact date but they said this month.

22. billaku

billaku Registered Member

RollBack Rx or any Horizon DataSys Prog. Discount

Looks like possible to get one-time 50% discount on any Horizon DataSys software ordered at one time
    - or maybe only one at one time?

Link at Most Popular Questions
    3. Are their (sic) any discounts for users that have competing products such as GoBack, Restoreit etc.?

OR lower on webpage.

edit: Also tried their Registry Vaccine. Ran Tuneup Utilities 2006 ver. 5.0.2331 3 times then RV.
    - RV found even more invalid Registry entries - WinXP SP2.

- Including one because I moved SpySweeper WRSSSDK.exe - not able to figure out how to keep it from loading.
    - Just want SpySweeper as backup scanner, not running all the time. Need to contact their support for info.
    - In any case, was able to easily uncheck the 'invalid' WRSSSDK.exe entry to leave as it should be.

- Don't know of other's experience with similar, but RV seems rather good, esp. at price of ~ $10 with the discount.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  23. Heco

Heco Registered Member

I bought it taking advantage of the discount...:thumb:
    I'd like to point out the efficiency of the tech support team. They quickly solved a problem i had encountered during the restoring process. A happy consumer:-*

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I just got done reading the Rollback User Guide that I had downloaded earlier. This is a very interesting program indeed, and if I did not already have FD on my system, I would love to install and play with it.

The tiny usage of space, 0.07%, can be a bit misleading because in the manual it states: "Theoretically, Rollback Rx only takes 0.07% total hard disk space to create all those snapshots. That is the least amount of disk space required to protect the entire system comparing to any software ever been produced; however, each snapshot might contain different amount of user data; therefore each snapshot size might differ."

However, one very interesting thing about this program, IF I AM UNDERSTANDING THINGS CORRECTLY SINCE I DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE THE PROGRAM TO PLAY WITH, is that you can delete older snapshots but still leave the integrity of newer snapshots intact. I believe this is different from RestoreIT. I believe, and RestoreIT users please correct me if I'm wrong about this, if you delete an older snapshot in RestoreIT, all snapshots taken after that snapshot are also deleted. Somehow, again if I am understanding this correctly, with Rollback you can delete any snapshot you want, except for the very first initial snapshot called the Baseline, and still leave all of the others usable. I would love to know how they do this, how this technology works.

VERY INTERESTING. If this program works like the manual says it will, this program is a winner. I forget who first mentioned this program to us here, thank you to whoever that was.

Acadia

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  25. gergy

gergy Registered Member

You're welcome :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.