Rollback Rx woes

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Fuzzfas, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I installed the new version on Win7 x64.

Seemed all fine. Then by chance i took a look at the event viewer.

At every boot, a bunch of errors.

- Cloverm.
    - Volmgr.
    - Something about inability to load crush dump.

I traced Coverm through google back to Keriver driver. And knowing that Keriver is a branch of Rollback...

Volmgr is about mounting the hard disk volume. So even more suspicious.

I uninstalled Rollback (very sloppy and i fear unclean uninstallation) and now all events are gone...

It seems so hard to get a Win7 version that will just run with no risks.

How can one depend on the stability of a program, where its own driver doesn't load according to event viewer?

Is anyone else getting these events in Win 7? I just want to see if i am again in the small minority of cursed users or whether it's a generally sloppy release.

Thanks.

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Fuzz, I'm pretty sure this is an RB issue - the lateat RB release probably isn't yet fully compatible with Win7. If you haven't done so already, do report this in the Official Rollback Rx Forum.

3. Fuzzfas

I already posted it there...

I am 100% sure that these errors are from Rollback. As soon as i uninstalled it, no new errors appeared in the event viewer. I also tried to re-install it, just in case something went wrong in the first time and the same errors reappeared at every boot...

1.png

The volmgr gives: The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

At every reboot, the same over and over...

I also found Cloverm directly here:

http://horizondatasys-forum.com/rol...d-not-sucessfully-load-crash-dump-driver.html

4. Aaron Here

Although I love (and wouldn't be without) RB, their #.0 releases are always problematic. The developers never seem to get it right until the #.1 (or later) release! :doubt:

5. Fuzzfas

I don't know, this program has already tired me... I wish the new company that plans to come up with First Defence PC Rescue Win7 compatible version comes up quickly, so i can drop Rollback. I simply don't trust it. Sooner or later i am afraid i will have some catastrophic crash and i won't be able to boot into Windows. While i was in XP EAZ Fix was doing checkdisk at every boot. Rollback wasn't (go figure).

Now that i put Rollback for Win7, i get problems with it... Maybe EAZ Fix for Win7 will be the solution? :D

I don't know, i loved First Defence PC Rescue. This Rollback , too touchy, too problematic, i don't trust it. I use it right now, but i don't trust it.

And with the frequency that they come up with new versions, i will probably have my license expired before they solve my issue... I already have a problem with large fonts which make some options invisible and they said they can't do anything about it unless they do a big overhaul of the GUI... Now i have the errors too.

Oh well... I bought it because i read First Defence PC Rescue would not support Win7 and now ironically i wait for Todd's new business partner to release a First Defence PC Rescue Win7 compatible version so that i can drop Rollback... Insane...

6. Aaron Here

Fuzz, the most reliable(and most dependable) protection = image backup! ...don't leave home without it. ;)

7. Fuzzfas

I do have Macrium Free, but i keep only 2 basic images. New ones are slow, take much space and are slow to restore. I guess i should go towards something with incremental updates. But i never liked the idea of having to restore from boot CD. I always liked FD PC Rescue and Rollback simply because you can restore the system volume quickly and without having to change bios settings to bootable cd.

8. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Why don't you give Comodo Time Machine a try? It's working well here for me.

9. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Yes, I get them from time to time using Eaz-Fix. I could be wrong but the two you mention have to do with the image backup/restore part of the program and not the instant rollback feature. As I said, I'm using Eaz-Fix and when I was running XP only prior to 10/22, I always had doubts about the program but if never failed. My use of it was quite frequent. I honestly don't think I've missed testing a single app from the net only to restore a snapshot,lol. I said all that to lead into this, I'm now dual booting XP/7. Installing into both OS took me forever since the only instructions stated to install into both of them. My first install went to XP which asked for the usual reboot. I clicked OK only to have the installer stalled. I decided to kill the installer and reboot, went into 7 thinking the installer would continue but not so. I went back into XP with only a gray tray icon. I tried to uninstall with no joy and had to manually remove it. I sent an email to the company asking for instructions on how to do it with a reply of read the instructions on the site and follow them exactly. Instructions said to install into both OS, yea but how,lol. I went back and reread intructions a few twenty more times with nothing. Finally I gave it another shot. It stalled again and I had to manually restart. On boot up, I went into 7 and installed it there and noticed the install screen had the option of dual booting and Eaz-Fix is already installed on the other OS. It's installed now on both OS and I've taken one manual user snapshot since the 10/22 install. With this dual booting, I have even more doubts about it working right but it did work very well in just XP only so maybe I'm wrong with my doubts.

Having installed with dual booting doesn't really work the way I imagined. I thought snaps could be taken for each OS and were independant of one another when restoring, but not so. Eaz-Fix stated that a restore would overwrite both OS since my drive was partitioned for both OS.

10. Fuzzfas

1) It's beta and it's based on older version of Rollback. So i am scared to try this one too, specially since i 've fresh installed Win7 and carefully maintained. My main reason that i use ISR software is because i hate software remnants to folders and registry.

So for now, i will wait to see if i get a reply in the horizon forum and whether it stays stable. For now it seems working. I also expect the new release of FD PC Rescue for Win7. Once it's out, bye bye Rollback, CTM etc. So the less software i install, the less remnants i will have.

2) I don't like Comodo's EULA about privacy.

Thanks!

Cloverm is very plausible to be driver for imaging, since i found it related to Keriver Image software. What i don't understand is, that Rollback is supposed to have the imaging feature removed (they made a separate program about imaging). So why does it try to load? o_O I HOPE that the volmgr is also related to imaging and not directly to Rollback.

The program does seem to work despite all this. I did a couple of rollbacks and seems all went right. Of course my event viewer is filled with errors, but well...

ROFL! :D Nice instructions!

11. Fuzzfas

Well, at least i got rid of the cloverm error! Now i get only 2 volmgr errors at every startup instead of 3!

Since cloverm fails to load, i thought to "help" it a bit, by modifying the registry start value of the service to 3 (run manually). So now it doesn't even try to load and it spares me 1 error. :D

I wish i could do the same with volmgr, but it seems that's a Windows service which actually mounts your active partition and it's crucial. Apparently when Rollback loads during boot, it kicks out the Window's mount service or something and so it doesn't load.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/process.pl?p=volmgr.sys

So, i am not touching this one.

12. ambient_88

I understand. I'd like to point out, however, that Time Machine probably runs better than Rollback Rx or EAZ-Fix. I have not encountered a single problem (Event Viewer problems, Pagefile problems, BSOD, etc.).

13. Fuzzfas

Thanks, i will keep that in mind. If i see that time passes that i have no positive evolution neither on the front of Rollback nor in the heir of FD PC Rescue, i will try Comodo and see how it goes.

I will probably try EAZ Fix too as soon as they come up with a version that supports Win7. It's so weird, it's supposed to be the same program as Rollback Rx, but on my hardware EAZ Fix and Rollback have different behaviour (Rollback ran better in XP, but maybe in Win7 it's time for EAZ Fix to take the lead?LOL).

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Same technology, so why would it be better. Some folks have no problems with Rollback, others have nightmares. So while your experience is great for you, it may not indicate what others will encounter.

15. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

The paid version of macrium has a boot option that can be enabled, that allows you to boot either into windows or into macrium reflect console ,where you can restore an image from wherever ( i use external hard drive).Im not sure if the free has this?,The paid also has incremental updates.You shouldnt really need to use the boot cd to restore an image, in the paid for version ,unless something catastrophic happens.
    ellison

16. ambient_88

I know the core technology is the same, but Comodo stated that they included their own additional fixes. Unless Comodo shares their code with Horizon DataSys, then there will be differences between Time Machine and Rollback Rx/EAZ-Fix. Of course, this doesn't mean it will run on every configuration out there.

17. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Fully agree with you Peter. RB Rx has always worked fine for me and I have never yet experienced any issues. One should try these various options and go with the one that works best on ones own rig (after taking a full image of course...just in case :D )

18. Fuzzfas

No, in the free version you need to use the bootable CD. That feature in the paid version is really great. It may worth it to pay for it, but right now i 've spent enough money for software the last months, i should stay with what i have. Next year maybe.

Besides, with my luck, if i go and buy Macrium Pro now, after a week Bits Du Jour will put it on 80% discount (just like it happened with Rollback) and i will be hitting my head against the wall :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  19. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

LMAO :D

20. ambient_88

There are coupons floating around for Macrium Reflect. I used one when I purchased my copy.

21. Fuzzfas

I think i saw one with 5% and one for 15% discount yesterday. Not sure if they still work, but it's certainly something to keep in mind.

Unfortunately, right now, i have 2 other priorities:

1) Get the new First Defence PC Rescue incarnation for Win 7 (my Horizon license won't be valid i suppose, since this will come from a new vendor).

2) Possibly an Athlon II x4 605e (i love the idea of 45W quad).

So Macrium will eventually have to wait.

It's tragicomical, but has happened to me often. I mean, i bought EAZ Fix 1 month before they put it at 80% dicount. Last year i also lost Defensewall at BitDuJour and paied it full 1 (?) month later.

And i am pretty sure Macrium will come up at BitDuJour again.

Look at this:

http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/macrium-reflect/

50% discount! It will come up again. And this time, i will nail it for the best price! :argh:

22. ParaV

ParaV Registered Member

You can try to test MagiCure Pro with your Win7. Product can be found at

Code:
    http://www.magicuresoft.com/products_1.php

23. Fuzzfas

Thanks, i wonder if it's yet another Rollback Clone.

But at 69$, i don't see me buying it anytime soon...

24. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Maybe something here - just a simple google search with the search terms < Macrium coupon >. No doubt some (many) are expired but no doubt there are some good ones. BTW there are lots of coupon sites on the net, simple enough to check a few of them and see whats on offer (I am providing links to a few,,,bet there are Macrium coupons on one or more of them --- but I am not willing to bet too much.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...1&q=macrium coupon&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

http://www.softwarediscountcodes.com/

http://www.freesharewaredepot.com/

EDIT:

Correction,,,I will bet a million dollars ---- here is a current coupon from the last link above = 15% off. Not 80% but better than a kick in the head for sure.

http://www.freesharewaredepot.com/productpages/Macrium_Reflect_039399.asp

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  25. Fuzzfas

I installed the new Rollback version.

No cloverm error. I get "only" the volmgr error now! At this pace, with the next release i should have the volmgr error gone... Right? :ninja:

God, what's taking so long for the new FD Rescue version for Win7?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.