Rollback RX V9 out on Febr 15th

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Banshee, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

2. guest

guest Guest

http://www.horizondatasys.com/177440.ihtml

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It would appear they have also separated out the pricing, so once again, Rollback will have imaging problems unless in theory you buy their product. Hmm

4. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I have been holding off with a purchase because I wanted to wait until the new release date was announced. Can someone tell me if in the past new releases were fairly bug free? I tend to like to wait a few months after a new version of anything is released so the co has a chance to iron out the bugs. I am thinking of getting the current release now and then in a few months upgrade (on the website they say if a there is a new release within 3 months of you making a purchase you can upgrade for free). In your opinion would this be a good idea or would you just go with the new version?

5. Banshee

I think you can trial it for 15 days or so.if you like it you can buy it?

I am trialing it now and I like what it does but I don't think I will keep it.I like Fsidr too much and on top of that ever since I installed it I get constant stutters when using trackir with flight sim.Rollback doesn't seem to like my ms train sim either so not good

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

the last version of RX and EAZ-Fix are generally bug-free; the only problems arised from the feature "keep thes files and folders unchanged..."
    I am almost certain that the one of the differences will be the replacement of that feature, with a consistent virtual drive that will be excluded from the snapshots (similar to the one used by deepfreeze and returnil).

Panagiotis

7. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Seems to me that v9.x is a reincarnation of v7.x! :p

8. fce

fce Registered Member

i'll keep my RollbackRX ver8.1 (snapshot + imaging software)

WTF they're doing! this new release should be Rollback RX ver. 8.0 (without the imaging software) :D

better save your Rollback Rx ver 8.1 :thumb:

9. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Shame but as the Linux based imaging functionality of the current version does not work on my rig I will not be losing anything from moving to v9 and perhaps gaining if boot times are indeed improved.

Will just have to wait and see

;)

10. bgoodman4

Thanks for your input folks.

Then I guess it makes sense to get it now and then keep the current version in case I don't like the new version. If I do like the new version I can get rid of the old one anytime.

Oh, by the way Banshee, what is Fsidr and how does it differ from RollBack Rx.

As to a separate imaging program I have no problem with that if it will assure me trouble free images (as opposed to using TI and Rollback together, which I had planned to do in spite of the possible complications and or hassles). The system and data integrity is what primarily concerns me, if I have to spend a couple of extra bucks to get that its a no brainer.

11. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I would be wary of relying solely on Drive Cloner RX as it will effectively be new software and given the potential importance of the images you take you will need to be fairly certain of the ability of the software to deliver reliably.

Whilst awaiting this reliability you might want to check out usng ATI 10 which is currently on free offer for a limited period:

~Limited magazine offer removed per Policy.~

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As much as i always admired the concept as well as Rx's GUI and also the ability to mark certain snapshots as deletable from those a user prefers to keep locked, i am still on the fence with this program untill i am totally convinced by other users that it is indeed nearly flaw-free as possible without any potentials for data loss, instability, ot otherwise experienced in past versions.

For me this applies to the product i chose in EAZ-FIX. I do believe that separation was inevidible though and probably a wise choice (for them) in more ways then one.

EASTER

13. bgoodman4

I currently have and have been using True Image 11 (I have been using TI since 2004). I would plan on continuing to use it as well as the new program from Horizon. My big problem with this plan is that my OS install files reside in a partition on my hard drive (there is no install CD) so repairing/fixing the MBR if I had to uninstall RX and restore with TI would, I think, be a problem. Is there any way to repair a MBR if I have to uninstall Rx and restore using TI without having a physical Windows installation disk? Or would I have to do a full restore of the OS using the partitioned installation files and then restore to a current state using TI? Mind you this would only be an issue if I was unable to restore properly using the new imaging program. Sort of a last ditch strategy, so maybe its not a serious issue.

14. bgoodman4

I just took a look at the EAZ-FIX website, not at all a confidence builder. If they cannot put together a useful website (many blank pages as well as pages with very sketchy info) I cannot imagine trusting my data to them. Given the favourable comments from RollBack users on these forums I think RollBack has proved itself, at least it has to my satisfaction. Its not perfect (it would be just about perfect if I could use it seamlessly with TI, or if Horizons imaging program were as good as TIs).

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

OK

Your statements indicate without reservation from personal experience to me that all the past hoopla about EAZ-FIX & RollbackRx for all purposes being one and the same then simply is not true.

Is this indeed the case?

Thanks

EASTER

16. bgoodman4

I really have no idea, today was the first I heard of EAZ FIX and all I have to go on is the quality of the website which certainly is nowhere as informative and comprehensive as Horizons. Presentation is important, if you cannot present well, or cannot be bothered to do so, it does not necessarily mean your product is junk, (and vice versa) but first impressions count for a lot and I would be much more likely to purchase RollBack Rx than EAZ FIX based on this alone. Now if someone whose opinion I respected told me that EAZ FIX was as good as, the same as, or better than RollBack Rx I might be tempted to give it a try, but as it stands now I am not inclined to do so.

17. bgoodman4

18. pandlouk

LOL.
    EAZ SOLUTION INC. is the developer company of EAZ-FIX. RollBack-RX is a customised version of EAZ-FIX made for Horizon DataSys, their principal reseller for the US market.

ps. you cannot buy EAZ-FIX directly from EAZ Solution, since they do not sell to end customers.;)

19. bgoodman4

:eek: :) A respected source has spoken. SO there is basically no difference between the 2 programs other than the dressing?

20. pandlouk

Until, now yes. But if Horizon decides not to include Drive Cloner (=Easy Image 4), Rollback-RX v9 will be a stripped down version of EAZ-FIX v9.

Panagiotis

21. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

QUOTE: "In RollBack Rx Version 9.x we have separated the Drive Cloning capabilites and introduced it as a new product "Drive Cloner Rx". It will complete head on with products such as Ghost, Acronis and other hard disk imaging and cloning products that are available. We will continue to grow this product by adding features while maintaining a low cost point for our clients that need a cost effective hard drive imaging application." :UNQUOTE

So it sounds like they are, in fact, REMOVING features of their program and not adding. Money making scheme if you ask me.

I paid for the full RX package PLUS the annual maintenance fee which is supposed to include upgrades, but now they want me to buy another entire software package to get the disk imaging which was included in the package I bought already !

At the very least, they should offer the first version release to their existing customer for free..... and then charge for upgrades if they must.

Geez, what will they remove with the next so called "upgrade'?

22. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I'm pretty sure I read in their 'forum' that they would convert Rollback licences into Eaz-Fix licenses on request. Might be a good time to take them up on that :) .

Up until V9, that has been pretty much the case. I've got licenses for RB and EF, both V7.2.1 and V8.1 and they have all worked almost identically except for some corporate badging. There is now a very obvious divergence for the two products. As I use other backup software, I'm not overly concerned about the built-in imaging but, equally, there's little point in 'upgrading' to what is effectively becoming V7.2.1.

What is disappointing is that there is clearly no intention of tailoring the built-in imager to back up all of the snapshots. RB/EF are uniquely in a position to do this in an efficient manner as they know exactly which sectors are required for the backup. Whereas, those of us that want to retain snapshots have to backup all sectors, whether we need to or not.

I think that this should have been a relatively simple feature to implement and would have made Easy Image my first choice for backups. As it is....:(

Incidentally, if you do go the EF route and you need more than one license then it might be worth looking at the PCUndo site (they are EF resellers) as they are still offering a family pack of 3 licenses for $99.

Graham

23. Banshee

Maybe easy image has been improved to back up all the snapshots ? Did you test it ? I have no idea i am just saying.I mean this is something that they sure knew about for the longest time and now they released a new version maybe they did it :)

24. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Exactly my point (in post #7) - which is not to convey that doing that is bad news. I have the final builds of EF v7.2.1 and EF v8.1 but in both cases I use a 3rd party disk-imaging program (DS) for full backups, so I find v8.1 to be unecessarily bloated compared to v7.2.1! ;)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I looked at the EAZ-Fix website, and it doesn't look like the imaging solution there is part of the main program. Rollback may just be going back to what eaz-fix is doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.