Rollback RX v8

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by starfish_001, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Elias

Brian Elias Registered Member

It seems like it would be easier to not uninstall RB and just do an ATI backup since you are probably doing more backups than restores. Then just do a FIXMBR in the event of a restore. I am assuming that an ATI backup with RB installed gets you the current snapshot with no problems (other than having to do a FIXMBR).? That way also you don't lose all of the snapshots by doing the uninstall. Does that make sense?

2. osip

osip Registered Member

No, it does´nt...When making the FIXMBR the rbrx subconsole will uninstall itself upon booting...

3. Brian Elias

But you only do a FIXMBR at restore time. What I am suggesting is doing the backup without uninstalling RB, then you don't have to reinstall RB when you backup, only when you restore/FIXMBR.
    Also, thanks - at your suggestion I got v7.2.1 and it does seem more stable than v8. I'll wait to reinstall v8 until all the bugs are worked out.

4. osip

osip Registered Member

Allright,got it...and that´s right,only when restoring...What I think was meant earlier (pvsurfer?) is that when it´s time for an ATI backup he uninstalls RBrx to make a complete defrag,then makes an image,then reinstalls RBrx on a new fresh defragged disk...

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Exactly. The point is that using a 3rd party defragger with RB installed is not only a waste of time, it could very well bring about RB problems! So the major benefit of uninstalling RB before imaging is to take that opportunity to 'properly defrag' the C-drive. Most importantly, afterwards I usually experience improved performance as the direct result of a 3rd party defrag.

And while it's certainly true that you won't perform nearly as many image-restores as image-creations, as I indicated in a previous post it's really no big deal (effort-wise) to uninstall/reinstall RB before/after imaging. And I should add that doing that (with the final RB v7.2.1 build) has not given me any problems whatsoever.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  6. osip

osip Registered Member

Well,this is to be my coming scenario as well...Takin´the opportunity to report that my last paragon restore failed with the snapshots...Indeed a mystery,in this case I used P drive backup pro:s rec cd v 8.5...Earlier used v 8 with success...So,I have to confirm that it some times works and sometimes not...Will in due time test this again with v8...In the meantime I turn to pvsurfers...Especially ´cause I also like a regular defrag and also I have never dropped ATI in which I through the years learned to completely rely on...

7. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

osip, that's too bad about Paragon (and really odd). Several months ago I started using pvsurfer's procedure of performing a disk-defrag followed by a disk-image. As ATI worked well for him, I started using it at that time to image RB's current snapshot (as he does) and it has been doing the job for me without a hitch. :thumb:

Edit: I should add that I have restored the ATI image (on a few occaisions) to a spare hard drive, after which I have booted that drive and exercised it just to convince myself that the restore was successful.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  8. Brian Elias

I experimented with Paragon because others had said that they were actually able to restore snapshots by doing a 1:1, all files, etc. backup. I used 8.5 and 8.0SE and was never able to get the snapshots, although the backups & restores went OK. I never really understood this (and didn't take the time) because theoretically if you do a 100% save and restore of every sector on a disk you should get everything back. Now I am using ATI, which gets the current configuration only, but works just fine.

9. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

In his post #24, pvsurfer explained that ATI is capable of capturing all of your RB snapshots by creating a 'raw' image (at the cost of taking a lot more time and consuming a lot more disk space). Personally, if I ever experience a disaster where I must rely on restoring my backup image, I will be very happy to have it restore my last system configuration, so I would like to understand the problem in only being able to do that? o_O

10. Brian Elias

I didn't say it was a problem. I said it works fine.

11. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Sorry Brian, I didn't mean to imply that you said it was a problem. It's just that others in this thread have indicated that it is, so I'm trying to understand why.

12. Brian Elias

Thanks, Jo Ann. No harm done.
    I think the answer is that people (myself included) would just like everything to work perfectly. So if I have a program that stores all of these great snapshots of my system, I would like to restore my system with all of these in tact. That provides the greatest flexibility to recover from anything imaginable. The reality is, like you said, the current operating version is most valuable because it has the most current information. In fact, it becomes somewhat of an accounting nightmare to keep more than a few snapshots for any significant period of time. But that doesn't keep us from wanting EVERYTHING!

13. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Gotcha, but I have learned to find and accept what works and for me, RB (v7.2.1) + ATI (v9) works!

14. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

After trying First Defense and not being to happy about the scheduler not working and the length of time to make a snapshot, I decided to give Rollback RX a try.
    Downloaded the latest ver. 8.
    So far, no problems with any aspect of it.
    Snapshots were easy to make and restore perfectly, which is my primary purpose with a program like this. To clean up my messes from trying different software and betas.:)
    Also will make the restore cd and see how that works.
    Very pleased so far.
    Works fast, resource usage is not bad and runs quietly in the background.
    One question if someone can answer this.
    The cost of the program is $69.00 plus the yrly. maintance fee.
    What about the 2nd yr? Does it have to be purchased again or do we just pay the fee?
    Thanks, Dan:cool:

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Danny,
    Also ask about the maximum activations of RBRx, I think it is limited to a certain number and an Image Backup software that restores all your RBRx snapshots, unless you don't care losing them.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  16. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Dan, that's good to hear, but quite a few others are reporting bugs with v8, so do take care!

As far as cost goes, if it works like it did with v7, $69 should get you free updates for all minor version changes within v8 (i.e., until v9 is released, whether that be just several months, a year or even two years). The maintenance fee is paid annually, but afaik it is strictly optional.

Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  17. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I went back to Version 7 on 2 machines. I kept V8 on one machine that I have Vista on. I got the dreaded "chkdsk" error with Version 8 on one XP machine.

18. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Regarding Annual Mantenance (approx. $9/yr for 1 PC or $19/yr for up to 5 PC's)....

19. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

So far v. 8 is running quite well, but just in case, where can the last version of 7 be found? Haven't seen it around anywhere.

20. ErikAlbert

Look at post #11 of this thread.

21. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Here's the final build of v7.2.1 Dan, and please keep us posted with your v8 experiences!

RollBack Rx Professional 7.2.1 (for Windows 9x-XP)

22. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I use Acronis True Image 9.
    Thanks also for pointing out v. 7. :thumb:

23. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

To the last few posters,
    JoAnn, pvsurfer, silver0066 and ErikAlbert:
    Appreciate your help and advice.

24. ErikAlbert

Then it will restore your current snapshot only, at least according my readings.
    That's not a problem, if you don't care about that.
    I don't understand one thing about RBRx-users : why spend $70 if you can use the freeware PowerShadow. I guess the multiple snapshots make the difference, which aren't possible in PowerShadow.

25. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Alot of people spend the same on FDISR. Matter of preference.
    I can see your point about PowerShadow, but...
    If I understand it correctly, no matter what is done, on restart it puts your
    system back to the way it was.
    I run Einstein and Seti which runs all day, every day. Downloading and uploading work units. Sending and receiving credits.
    I also am running the Beta of KIS 7.
    I like doing these kind of things.
    PowerShadow, to me, sounds like it would be to much of a hinderance rather then a Help.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.