Rollback RX v8

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by starfish_001, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Exactly...

2. silver0066

I looked at it, but I don't think that it is an imaging program with Disaster Restore capabilities. It came with my purchase of V8 as a bonus. I will check it out again when I get time.

I still think that the Rollback, FDISR, ATI combination is the way to go.

FDISR operates from a partition level within RollbackRx, which operates from the MBR.

I use Rollback for quick snapshots and snapshot restores.

I use FDISR for quick External Backup Archives which can be restored quickly.

I use ATI for Disaster or Bare Metal Recovery. It will restore all but Rollback. You then can restore the FDISR Archive to get current. I have two FDISR snapshots, Vista and XP, both with Rollback 8 installed.

I recently did a test ATI Recovery to the FDISR XP snapshot, reinstalled Rollback on the FDISR XP snapshot, booted to the FDISR Vista snapshot....and lo and behold, all of my Rollback snapshots were there. I then booted to my latest Rollback snapshot and I was back where I started in XP with all FDISR and Rolback snapshots intact.

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

The bottom-line is that there are various workable back-up solutions (combining instant and disaster recovery). None of these solutions are perfect (imho), but then again, what in life is? ;)

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I'd like to take this moment to express my thanks pvsurfer (and others!) for you sharing your experiences with imaging programs and expressing those concerns you deem important.

I may lack a good degree of information in this particular area of pc technology (aside from a manual lol) but those like yourself (& others) help take up that slack. I guess that's why i'm so grateful to ALL the participants and their respective replies on this topic.

Imaging/Copying/Duplicating/Cloning or whatever term suits you best, this has to be the singlemost important aspect of maintaining a working system beit at home or business. If when the most unusal all the way to the failed software visits your system, there is no place else to turn but a proverbial BACKUP to restore matters as before or as near before as they were.

I concluded from your exchanges that there are real DIFFERENCES that lie within each of these various imaging programs as well as the user's choices & they are Multi-Dimensional factors that come into play here.

I see that making the right IMAGING decision for your own confidence requires plenty of study/experience and you guys seem to bring up all the right comparisons and their not based on just simple observations.

Reviews like this make things a little easier for some us to finally latch onto ourselves. Good job!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  5. pvsurfer

You're very welcome Easter... Considering all of the times I've asked for, and received help here, I'm happy to contribute some ideas and solutions.

Regarding backup concepts, there are many which are workable. The thing is to find a methodology with which you are comfortable, becaise it has to become a regular part of your computing... No backup solution, no matter how elegant, will do you any good if you don't use it regularly!

6. silver0066

Tried it. It is just a file backup program. Not good for system restores.

7. silver0066

Thanks,

I was not aware of that. I assume the same holds true for Version 8, but I have not tried it yet.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

OK. Thanks. Data Backup Rx 2.7.

9. besafe

besafe Registered Member

When I change my backup strategy I am leaning towards Shadow Protect. However, I keep feeling puilled towards Rollback RX for it's simplicity, speed, and volume of backups that I can keep on file (from what I have read).

Question: Does Rollback RX really allow for a bare metal recovery? The pre sales guy on their website said that it does. He mentioned somethign about using Rollback RX with PE ISO disk to create a bootble snapshot that can be installed even in cases where the drive crashes and must be replaced.

Did I understand him correctly? Does Rollback RX truly offer a bare metal recovery solution?

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That is what they are indeed advertising for version 8. But I would wait until it has been thoroughly tested. Early users here ran into issue that have been largely fixed.

Only draw back I can see is you might not be able to us another backup type program while you test it.

I would advise caution.

11. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I'm in no hurry. My present backup program still works. it just isn't as complete of a solutions as Shadow Protect or RollbackRX. I can be patient while they work the kinks out.

If I go with a disk imaging solution, Shadow Protect will probably be my choice. If I go with a restore point solution, Rollback RX looks to be my choice.

I do appreciate your input. Thank you.

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Wait until it calls "Rollbackup Rx"

13. pvsurfer

As an RBx user, I would 2nd Pete's advice. Version 8 is brand new and if past history teaches RBx users anything it's to give the new version time to mature!

The last build of v7.2.1 is stable and reliable, so I do recommend using it along with a separate disk-imaging product (to recover from any disaster-related issue). :thumb:

14. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Questions for you as you are a current user of the product:

1. How often do you take snapshots of your computer?

2. How many snapshots do you keep stored on your PC?

3. Does storing the snapshots slow down your machine at all?

4. What do you view as both the pros and cons of Rollback RX?

15. pvsurfer

1. Once per day at initial boot (scheduled), before any snapshot restore (scheduled) and before any OS or App install/update (manual).

2. I have it set to automatically delete all unlocked snapshots after 2 weeks.

3. Not at all.

4. Pro's: It's the fastest and most convenient program I've found as a far superior alternative for Windows' System Restore. As I stated previously, the last build of v7.2.1 is very stable and reliable. Con's: The measures which have to be taken into account when creating/restoring a disk-image using ATI, Paragon, etc. (although that's simply become part of my routine). When it matures, v8 should remedy this.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  16. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Would some kind person point me to a downloadable manual for version 8, all the manuals I've found so far are for version 7.2.

John

17. pvsurfer

John, I don't see it posted separately, but it should be available from the RBx v8 'Help' (pull-down) menu.

18. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

That's the problem, I don't have v8 installed. I've upgraded EAZ-FIX to version 8 but at this stage I haven't installed it. Wanted to read the manual before going any further.

Seems a little strange that neither RB, or EF, has an updated manual for download and both sites still showing the manual for v7.2 on the v8 pages.

John

19. pvsurfer

Actually (considering that v8 was just released last month), it's not all that strange. In your situation I would surely create (and verify) a fresh disk-image, after first uninstalling v7 and before installing v8. Then I would install v8, read the Help (guide) and then I would put v8 through its paces. ;)

20. silver0066

The Manual for V8 has just been added (3/20/07) to the "Rollback_v8.exe" file that you unzip when you download the trial. Rather than opening that file, extract it using WinRar or one of the other extractors and the "Rollback Rx V8 User's Guide.pdf" file will be in the Documents folder.

21. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Thanks, have it now:)

John

22. pvsurfer

For those of you now using v8, please continue to report back with what you are experiencing (good and bad).

Thanks!

23. osip

osip Registered Member

Saw this on Horizon´s site concerning v8:
    ----------------
    BTW:
    Rollback_Rx_Pro_Version8 17442.7 KB Compressed File 3/27/2007 4:04:11 PM

Any comments to that from v8 users?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  24. silver0066

The Bad:

Backup snapshot does not work with RAID drives even though it uses a BARTPE type Recovery Disk, it will not Recover to RAID.

Snapshots are much slower than in Version 7

25. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Yes the snapshots are slower then v7 taken with the GUI open but take a snapshot from the traybar icon,much faster.At least for me it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.