RollBack Rx problem

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by WilliamP, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I bought Rollback Rx for my Windows 7 64 bit laptop. I set it up to create a snapshot on first boot daily. It did fine for about 6 days. Then it quit making snapshots. I checked and the calendar was still showing 11-7-10. I posted on the Horizon Data forum but no one said anything. I am going to do snapshots manually when I want to.

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I would suggest that you uninstall Rx and then reinstall. There is also a tasks set-up function. I always set up a task to take a snap at restart (I have it set to do it for all restarts) so you may want to try that as well. I have been using Rx for a few years now and at one point I had a similar problem (but it was months into using it not days). Horizon suggested a re-install and the problem was corrected and never occurred again. Mind you I uninstall Rx monthly so I can run a system wide defrag and do other maintenance routines so this may have something to do with it.

I hope this helps

3. WilliamP

I have decided to just make snapshots when I want to. So I took it off the schedule. Now this morning I have a Windows Update that won't download. I wonder if RB Rx is the problem?

4. bgoodman4

Well it could be I suppose. Its easy enough to uninstall and reinstall though and then you could be issue free. Personally I don't like having issues happening on my PC. Could get ugly down the road. BTW the problem may be Rx or the issue with Rx could be a symptom of something else. No way to tell but clearly something is wrong and I would suggest getting to the bottom of it if you can.

5. TraumaDoc

TraumaDoc Registered Member

Be wary of using and uninstalling

3 times I used this program (2 machines) and each time the program new works properly and then blue screens after uninstalling the program from my computer.

It took 3 reboots and Windows repair routines and took nearly 1 hour to run before the system rebooted to Windows

6. bgoodman4

Thats not at all my experience. I have been using RB for 2 or 3 years now and I uninstall and reinstall it monthly. Thats at least 24 uninstalls and reinstalls and I have never had a problem.

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

LOL, why do you need to reinstall every month ? To defrag ? :p

8. WilliamP

I am new to this program and this is confusing. It seems that de-fragmentation is important. But it seems that you are supposed to remove the program then do a system defrag. Also the information is kind of confusing. There is a lot of conflicting information.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  9. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

No surprise - there's conflicting information about most everything. But imho system defraggers (just like reg-cleaners) are nothing more than 'snake oil'. Ever since Windows XP no one has been able to show that either of those utility programs actually improve system performance (and quite often reg-cleaners can harm a system)!

10. bgoodman4

I have RB set to take snaps hourly as well as upon boot. I have found that my PC works better if I do a system wide defrag (as opposed to snap defrag) on a regular basis. Also, while I take images of the drive on a weekly basis using the RB companion program Drive Cloner, I also do an image each month using Paragon. If you are imaging or defragging using non-Horizon software it is recommended that you uninstall RB before you do so. The only exception to this is if you are doing a sector by sector image using 3rd party software.

Thats why I uninstall and reinstall monthly.

11. bgoodman4

This is strongly recommended by Horizon and others here on the forum so I follow the suggestions. You can get more specific info in the FAQ section of RollBacks on-line info. The info is not really conflicting (though I don't know what info you are referring to so I could be wrong).

THis is what I suspect you are getting confused with

You should use Rxs internal snapshot defrag periodically. This is different from a system wide defrag as all it is doing is defragging the snaps. If you are doing a system wide defrag you need to uninstall RB before you do it.

If this is indeed what you are finding confusing you can see that its not conflicting info after all.

12. bgoodman4

I am using XP so perhaps thats why I find a dif from before and after.

13. WilliamP

What is confusing is on the Horizon Forum there is a sticky post about defragging. To start with it says for system defrag to remove and re-install. Then it tells of a command line switch so you don't have to R+R. Then it tells you to R+R.

14. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Defragging in RollBack Rx is ADVANCED stuff which should be left for the experienced users.:cool:

For you as a new user, why don't you use, learn and enjoy this for a while first without being confused unnecessarily.:p

15. bgoodman4

Anyone can say anything on a forum, it does not mean they know what they are talking about or even that they are able to express what they mean in a clear manner. You are far better off to go with what the publishers of the program tell you. This of course does not mean that you cannot learn of viable alternate procedures on a forum but only that you might want to be cautious, especially if the post in question is confusing and apparently self contradictory.

Its ultimately up to you to decide what to do with your system, all others can do is tell you of their experiences and what they find works for them.

16. WilliamP

The confusing posts are by NICK10 Horizon staff.

17. bgoodman4

Humm, that makes things doubly confusing. I would suggest contacting Horizon support and asking for clarification. The safe thing though is to uninstall before defrag. Thats what I was told to do and its worked well for me.

RB is an excellent program for a laptop but for a desktop I would recommend ShadowProtect as best in class. RB keeps its snaps on the PCs main drive so if there is a hard drive meltdown your could have a problem. That being said RB is an extremely easy to use and reliable program. For a PC that is not constantly tied to an external drive its (IMHO) the best in its class and I would not dream of being without it.

18. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

WilliamP if you want to defrag with rollback uninstall, defrag and reinstall.

The defrag command is there, but it allows you to defrag only the current snapshot (not the baseline or any other snapshot) -> this means that even with the defrag command you will never be able to completly defrag your drive...

Stick with bgoodman4's advise and uninstall before defraging.

Panagiotis

19. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Lets not forget that even thought RB Rx is all of that and more...and I too would not be without it...it really needs to be backed up by a periodically taken full image.

I do that one a week and make sure that it is stored on an external, removable hard drive...just for insurance purposes.

Better safe than sorry...however good the software is! ;)

20. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Ditto that... :p

21. bgoodman4

Yes, most definitely, regular backup imaging to an external device is highly recommended and I do so weekly as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.