Rollback Rx Pro - Updating Baseline Snapshot

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pvsurfer, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

After reading the manual and FAQs, as far as I can tell there is little (if anything) written on this subject. So if any of my fellow Rollback users actually have a strategy re Updating the Baseline, I'd be interested in hearing it...

I realize that when you update the baseline, you are essentially consolidating all previous snapshots into the new baseline. As I see it, there are 2 pros & 1 con in doing that...

Pro1: You recapture some storage space (which doesn't appear to be substantial).

Pro2: All subsequent defrags/optimizations take less time (after updating the baseline).

Con: You lose the ability to ever again restore your system to any of the individual snapshots which have been consolidated into the new baseline.

So my questions are...

- Am I missing any pros & cons?

- How are you guys dealing with this?

~pv

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi PVSurfer

Bare in mind that I don't keep snapshots I want to always be able to go to, but just want disaster recovery. I do update my baseline about midweek. If I know my system is fine, then I don't mind loseing the intermediate snapshots. Also once on uninstall I accidently set the system to baseline instead of current system. Fortunately it was a minor inconvenience, but made me realize for me I don't want my baseline to be totally obsolete compared to my current system.

Also less of an issue for me know, since I uninstall on the weekend for backup purposes.

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Did I understand this well?
    During the weekend, you uninstall RollbackRx first and then execute a backup.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Erik

Yes you did, however there is more to the story. The primary reason I do this is after uninstalling Rollback, I install FDISR and use it to refresh two FDISR archives I keep on external drives. I then uninstall FDISR and reinstall Rollback. WHY??

The reason I do this is while I image my drive, I have a much higher degree of confidence in FDISR. So if my hard drive failed and my images proved bad, I know I can recover with FDISR and the archives. Why not just leave FDISR on permenantly. On my laptop I do. On my desktop, with the testing I do, Rollback is just so much faster and easier, it is worth the effort.

Pete

5. mikisu

mikisu Registered Member

I see the intention of the baseline, as having the ability to store a perfect pristine image ie just after reformat and reinstall of the OS, which obviously would be handy if the system carked.

Otherwise,I dont think it serves any important function ,as the regular snapshots arent incremental and dont need a base per se,as does TI

Therefore I dont worry about it.

EriK Albert,

am Not answering for anyone else,but an uninstall of Rollback is necessary if a full defrag is required-this is confirmed by RollBack.

Mike

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

So backup isn't the reason for uninstalling RollbackRx. The full defrag is the real reason.

7. mikisu

mikisu Registered Member

Going OT,as previous posts,but this is THE only time a uninstall is necessary,with Rollback, certainly for me and I have the full armory of other apps.!:D

Mike

8. pvsurfer

Ok, since this is my thread, I guess I'll go OT and address this...

We have to define what is meant by a full degrag. Using the PerfectDisk defragger there is no problem perfoming a defrag of the entire C-drive or any of its Windows partitions while using Rollback. Actually, there is very little (if anything) to be gained by doing this because Rollback defrags and optimizes its own snapshots.

But while running Rollback I will no longer do an offline defrag (the only way to defrag Windows' system and paging files), as I am quite sure that was the cause of my boot.ini corruption and the missing hal.dll incident reported here about a week (or so) ago!

~pv

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  9. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

That's my experience as well - perfect disk from windows is fine as along as you defrag the RB snapshots afterwards to release excess space

10. pvsurfer

starfish~ Did you also experience system problems after doing an offline defrag while Rollback was installed?

11. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

No I only tried online defrags they work fine - I thought better of trying the offline defrags

12. pvsurfer

Good thinking! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.