rollback rx & FD-ISR combo

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by rice4lunch, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rice4lunch

rice4lunch Registered Member

i successfully installed rb & fd-isr on vmware toybox.

here's what i did. install rb first, then fd-isr. i tried installing fd first then rb, but couldn't make snapshot in fd.

the system boots into rb, then fd. its a bit confusing, i need the right combination of snapshots from the two to see my files. i wonder which is the dominate?

i like them both, but fd don't support incremental snapshots. and rb only allows one baseline. i hadn't realy come up with any strategy or best practice yet on using them both in combo.

one advantages is the empty snapshot in fd which allows you to create different OS w/o worrying about bootloaders. (can i install linux??)

another is the archieve feature in fd. it be really cool if i can backup my rb snapshot with fd archieving.

hadn't really testest these two ideas out fully yet.

rice.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Personally i don't see much point in having both as they both do the same thing using different methods. I doubt the fd-isr archive would backup your rb snapshot properly.
    You can't install linux in an empty snapshot as its not compatible with the ntfs file system used by fd-isr. However you can use wubi to install linux in a current rollback or fd-isr snapshot. It'll add a 3rd pre-boot screen allowing to select either linux or windows to boot into.

3. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Wats the point in using botho_O fd-isr works at partition record level, rollback rx works at MBR level.

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

That is a recipe for disaster.
    FDISR will likely not be able to back up the RB snapshots.

Why you want these in VM ??

If you want multi snaps with recovery images then use RBx and one of the tested Imagers: iirc; the most reliable imager for RBRx was Drive Snapshot with maintenance mode ??
    Image for windows did work when I tested it in 'raw' mode = byte for byte.
    This can produce massive images.
    Cant recall if that image technique saved all RBRx snapshots or just the current ??

There are multibootloaders that will allow boot control prior to main OS boot
    GAG
    BootITNG
    They will work with RBRx
    Have not tested in VMs.

Have not tried Linux install in FDISR empty snap: why do that if you have VM.?

If you 'wubi' then RBRx will work as per usual.

Sort of admire what you're doing in a twisted way :blink: : but o_O

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I actually got that working, at least for a while. Not reliable, and ultimately, Rollback brought the whole thing down.

6. rice4lunch

rice4lunch Registered Member

sorry guys, i should have made it clear. i installed it on vmware as a test before i do anything on my host system. i wanted to know if its possible and if its reliable, plus what advantages could i gain. i have suspected that linux wouldn't work but was unsure whether fd uses some internal fs format.

don't really know what wubi is, but i have googled it and will read upon it later. (probably some bootloader.)

thanks.
    rice

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Wubi allows you to install linux just like you would any regular windows program. After installation you will get a pre-boot screen giving you the option to boot into windows or linux. It makes things easier and if you don't like linux you can easily remove it like you would any other windows program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.