Rollback RX/ Eaz Fix Bugs

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pandlouk, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I had found some major and minor bugs on Rollback RX and although I reported them to the support and dev team on 23/2/2008 I have not any news from horizondatasys since 29/2/2008 and I do not know if they are fixed or not.

I decided to post them here, for warning the other RB/EF users.

Important bugs:
    Minor Bugs:
    ps. Pay attention to backup often your valuable data, if you store it in the RB/EF protected partition.

Panagiotis

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think that comment is unwarranted to make. For every person that encounters a bug, there are others who don't. It's unfair to make the statement you did because of that.

For example, concerning pandlouk's bugs, I didn't encounter those when I tested the program, but that's because I didn't use all the features such as the virtual drive. The program still served its purpose during my test so on the basis of that your statement is invalid.

4. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

For the first since I got it for free (Giveaway of the Day), last week EF had a major issue which I reported in nanana1's Disable ChkDsk thread.

For reasons that I believe to be EF-related, Tuneup Utilities had advised me that it was necessary to run a chkdsk. I did so, and afterwards tried to restore my EF snapshots only to find my 5 most recent snapshots were all corrupted!!!

Thanks to my 'trusted-friend' Drive Snapshot, I was able to restore a 1-day old image and I was back in business (with all EF snapshots working perfectly). Since I got EF for free I am not entitled to any support, so as a result of this incident I will not let a day go by without creating a DS image!

And for whatever it's worth, the day that EF bombed on me, all that was done prior to the incident was my taking a new snapshot. Since I use (and trust) DS for image backups, I only use EF for creating/restoring snapshots.

The interesting thing about all of this is that 'just for kicks' I have since run chkdsk several times and have thereafter successfully recovered EF snapshots without any issues whatsoever! Therefore, I can only conclude that while chkdsk may have perpetuated the problem I experienced last week, it did not bring about the incident.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  5. appster

appster Registered Member

Aaron, I've been running RB v7.21 without ever having any problems for nearly 2-years. It may be of interest to note that I have my system setting to only take a snapshot when the system is in a consistent state - that just seemed to make good sense to me as the liklihood of a corrupt RB/EF snapshot has to be much greater if the system is in an inconsistent state at the time the snapshot is being created. But even so, (like with you) my final fail-safe protection is my DS backups! ;)

6. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

you write " I was able to restore a 1-day old image and I was back in business (with all EF snapshots working perfectly). "

its amazing coz ef team got no solution to backup the entire snapshots yet...are u totaly sure after using "drive snapshoot" u got all the snapshots?? if so did your restore bring on the EF console at start up ? (they call it subsystem)..

cheers

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Doing a sector by sector backup lets you make an image of your system that includes all snapshots. Personally i use trueimage 11 to do this.

8. demoneye

does terabyteunlimited can backup also all snapshots? (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com) ?

cheers

9. appster

Yes (according to IFD-IFW users here like markymoo). I've accomplished this with both True Image v11 and a great number of times with Drive Snapshot v1.38 (my favorite).

The 'trick' to doing this is to run the backup outside of WinXP by booting up into another OS (like DOS, Linux, WinPE, etc) and then backup all sectors on your system drive/partition.

10. demoneye

hi man
    2 remark

1. did u or someone else succssed with terabyteunlimited 2.08 or less?
    2. drive snapshot doesnt let u have its rescure disk on CD...its offer only 1.44 floppy drive ...(or i a m wong)

cheers:thumb:

11. appster

1. As I replied in my post, "according to IFD-IFW users here like markymoo" and another IFD-IFW user is Brian K - do a search.

2. DS does not provide a WinPE based boot CD, but it works very well if you make your own! You can either use DS' DOS boot disk (which I don't use), or preferably bootup into BartPE/WinPE and run DS (snapshot.exe) from either the boot CD or just about anywhere you have it on your hard drives! A lot has been written about that in this forum. Again, do a search. ;)

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  12. demoneye

10x alot man... just this...did u use in drivesnapshot any special value to do "byte to byte" copy in order to keep all snapshot made in eaz fix?

cheers :thumb:

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  13. appster

Each image-backup program has its own terminology for this. With DS you select 'Maintenance Mode'. But it's very important to run DS (using Maint. Mode) outside of your normal Windows environment - i.e., after booting into BartPE, WinPE, UBCD4Win, or DOS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.