Rollback RX "disk space is too low" Error

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by drdoombot, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drdoombot

drdoombot Registered Member

This site seems to have more discussion about Rollback RX than any other place on the net, so I thought I'd ask my question here.

I'm running Rollback RX 8.1 on a system partition (C:\) that is 25gb, with about 10gb of free space. Seeing as how RX is replacing the built-in System Restore, I scheduled it to take a snapshot every morning and delete anything older than a week.

The problem is that after 2 days, I get an error saying, "The free disk space is too low. Take new snapshot and snapshot synchronization are disabled!" and then get prompted to defrag my snapshots (which doesn't help). When this error showed up originally, I looked at my snapshots and saw that I only had two: "baseline" and "low space." I updated my baseline and the problem when away for a day; on the second day, I get the same error and computer freezes.

This has happened a few times already; it looks like RX can handle a baseline snapshot and perhaps one other. After that, the error messages and freezes keep coming. Only updating the baseline seems to help, but only for a short while. Shouldn't RX be able to save 30,000 snapshots? I can't seem to get to 3!

I was considering resizing my system partition to something larger (30gb?) but isn't that just putting a bandaid on the problem? I suspect that a 30gb partition would let me have a few more snapshots before giving me the same error.

Is this a documented problem or am I the only one experiencing this? Anyone have ideas on what I can do?

2. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I guess u have put a lot of data to be synchronized while taking snapshots,this is cause of large space use.This feature though available should be used for small amounts of data only.I recommend to keep synchronization off.
    Why should u resize the partition.There is no need for that.Dont adjust ur partition for this software,rather it is other way around..And then with 30000 snapshot u are sure to go mad, its all for adverstiments, dont keep more than 5 or 6 snapshots.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  3. drdoombot

I wasn't aware of any synchronization. I just looked through the Application Console and can't figure out how to turn it off.

4. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Definitely, something isn't right. Uninstall RB, do a disk cleanup followed by a defrag, then reinstall RB (if you have more than one partition on the drive I suggest monitoring just C: with RB).

5. 842x5

842x5 Registered Member

just out of curiosity, are you defragging your system partition with a tool other than RX? Moving stuff around in the protected partition is bound to cause massive RX activity and BIG snapshots

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

How big the the two snapshots? size wise...

7. drdoombot

Hmmm, I have Diskeeper 2009 installed... Could the auto-defrag be causing this?

My baseline size is 166mb (which in and of itself seems a little too large). My other snapshot is a whopping 4798mb! Is Diskeeper making the 2nd snapshot so large?

8. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

You can not use a third party defrag with rollback. Disable diskeeper. That is whats causing problems. your 3rd snapshot should be around 5 gb as well and you only had 10 gb free space to begin with.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  9. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Not quite true. You might want to consider posting here:

http://horizondatasys-forum.com/rollback-rx/

The official forum is now rather good and has quite direct access to the Tech Team members, especially if the mods spot an interesting or complex issue that they feel warrants their direct involvement.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.