Rollback RX and wiping free space

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by orian, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orian

orian Registered Member

Is it safe to use a hard disk free space wiper while Rollback is installed? I heard that you can damage your PC doing so. Before I installed Rollback, I used to use a disk cleaner regularly for security reasons, but don’t know if I should now.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It would probably be a disaster, as the space wiper is assuming sectors are empty based on the windows file system, and it wouldn't know about sectors used by Rollback.

Pete

3. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello orian;

I've never used Rollback RX but I have wiped free space while using Comodo Time machine and, as Peter2150 suggested, it WAS a disaster.
    Snapshots were overwritten and my system became unusable.
    Luckily, this took place on one of my non-essential or "practice" hard drives which I use for the specific purpose of trying and testing various software applications and configurations, so the damage was limited to a very slight inconvenience and following a zero-fill and re-image, I was back in business within the hour.

I'm guessing that all of these rollback applications will be adversely effected by wiping free space, but I could be wrong.
    If you are dying to find out, I strongly suggest you first image or clone your HDD unless everything you currently have on it is expendable.

4. orian

orian Registered Member

Thanks Guys,

This is a pity as most of us will need to send our PC to the repair shop at some time. And if it completely crashes, so you are unable to boot (this is still possible even with Rollback installed. It happened to me last year--the PC just went dead, so I couldn't get to Rollback's sub-console) making access to the hard drive impossible, then there's no way to uninstall Rollback and do a disk wipe before taking it to the repair shop.

5. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

You can wipe free space anytime with rollback installed. It is just that all your snapshots will be gone and you will probably need to reinstall Rollback. In case you need to send your hard disk to a repair shop you will probably want to wipe the entire hard disk (free space + data area) and you can do that by booting through BartPE CD or Paragon hard disk manager's rescue disk etc. Your hard disk's manufacturer should also provide a free diagnostic disk which should allow you to zero-fill (wipe) your entire hard drive.

6. orian

orian Registered Member

Thanks.

I wonder if in future Rollback will be able to work around this. It is an excellent program but its major drawbacks are the defragging situation and this one.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Probably not. It's a function of the way the core technology works. It takes a standard windows file, and passes it thru a driver, and places the data in sectors on the disk. It keeps track of them, but the windows file system doesn't know where those sectors are located.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.