RollBack Rx and TrueImage Home

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Kapiti, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Hey, Peter, aren't you the guy that is bothered by the 0.0007% disk space commercial? Your continued interest is baffling. o_O :D o_O

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi PVsurfer

On a totally different note. Have you tried Rollback on Raid 0. Last thing I was told was it wasn't officially supported, but "should" work.

Pete

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Sorry, but I can't help you there Pete - I don't (and wouldn't) use RAID 0.

4. Peter2150

Okay. I've had it now on two machines, and it works like a champ. But anyway, I'd almost be tempted to give Rollback another shot except for the raid issue.

Pete

5. pvsurfer

Pete, you might check with EAZ support (since they seem to be more responsive to email inquiries than HDS).

support@njanyue.com

~pv

6. Peter2150

My continued interest is based on owning 2 licenses for Rollback. If PVSurfer is right, then they may have solved the stability issue. Thats good.

But there are still 3 issues that make a bit nervous.

1. Raid 0. I am using it, so it needs to work with that.
    2. Imaging
    3. The general concept of a Kernel driver for disk access. Just a bigger opportunity to have conflicts.

And yes the disk space commercial is a bit troubling. They don't need to do that.

7. pvsurfer

Come on Wil, get your facts straight - it's .07%, not .0007% ...LOL :p

Fwiw, EAZ explains this claim (in their KB) to mean EAZ-FIX's overhead resource requirements:

8. wilbertnl

Yesterday I received a free registration for my suggested improvement. :D :thumb:

9. pvsurfer

What was your suggestion; was it the EAZ-Clone modification?

10. wilbertnl

11. Get

Get Guest

@ pvsurfer: good to hear it works out good so far, but i've stopped testing it...can't really miss PD. I kept PD installed and sometimes analysed with it and it's heartbreaking to see the fragmentation :'( and because I would only need RB maybe once a year or so PD is the "winner" on my pc. Btw defragging with PD with RB installed looked strange indeed, but didn't mess things up as far as I could tell.

12. pvsurfer

Yeah, I miss using PD (old habits are hard to break). However, while each defragger has its own unique defragging scheme and algorithm (including RB's defragger), they all wind up doing the job well enough.

As long as I'm using RB I will be content using its snapshot defragger - which won't be difficult as long as RB continues to serve its principal purpose (protecting my system) without introducing system problems! ;)

~pv

13. Get

Get Guest

Well, PD certainly always has, but RB never used much time for a defrag, so I'm not really convinced about it's "well enough job". When each defragger has its own unique defragging scheme and algorithm then it must be RB and PD have the same...or am I missing something here? o_O

14. pvsurfer

I doubt that very much (I don't see why you came to that conclusion), but then again, it is possible.

15. Get

Get Guest

Well, I guess that when I have defragged my partition with PD and then install RB and let it defrag that it would put everything in another order and it would take some time. More then a few seconds I would guess, but again maybe i'm missing something here.

16. pvsurfer

It's my guess (wil or someone else may know better) that RB's snapshot defragger just optimizes its 'pointers' to the disk-sectors contained within each snapshot.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  17. Get

Get Guest

Yes, I think so too, but then it's a strange thing to compare the defrag of PD with that of RB. Horizon Datasys says :"RollBack Rx has a build-in snapshot defragmenter, use that to defrag your system. It's fast and it works with RollBack Rx. "... Indeed, it's fast, but defrag your SYSTEM with RB..?? You only defrag the miniature snapshots and not your disk/partition. Let's say I install RB , leave PD installed and install/uninstall softwares and just work with the pc as always and make snapshots now and again...wouldn't the disk be awfully fragmented after a not even so long time (you can see that with PD then) and get slower? Then you can uninstall RB, defrag with PD and install RB again, but will the snapshots still be available..?.. and, if so, when you go back to one of them there is the fragmentation again. (I think the only possible way to reinstal is with a new baseline btw, correct me if i'm wrong). Just a little to much hassle for me, because I defrag quite often. When you don't, ok, then it's not a big problem.

18. wilbertnl

I defragged the system partition with Perfect Disk before installing EAZ-fix, including the offline defrag, that moves the MFT to the middle of the partition.
    Now EAZ-fix is installed I still can defrag my second disk with my personal data (isn't that the area with most changes?) with Perfect Disk.
    I defrag the snapshots with EAZ-fix whenever I delete a snapshot.

19. pvsurfer

Well as an fyi, someone here said that Diskeeper works harmoniously with RB... But in defense of RB's defragger, I too install/uninstall quite a few progs weekly and my system seems as 'snappy' as always (and RB is the only defragger I've used over the last month)!

20. Get

Get Guest

My system became a bit more "snappier" (loosened up) after RB was uninstalled while I had it installed a very short time and in that time I had only 1 program uninstalled, but according to your experience it will be systemrelated. Diskeeper I only liked in the win 98-days btw, have trialled it sometimes since then, but it always was slow on my pc so I won't ditch PD.

21. pvsurfer

Well you gotta feel 'comfy' with what your doing, so whatever you decide to do, good luck to you. ~pv

22. Get

Get Guest

I almost never defrag my other partitions, only C. Biggest part (4/5) of D isn't fragmented at all while it's months ago that i've defragmented. I defragmented C two days ago and it looks almost as "bad". A fragmented C has the biggest impact on my system, the others I don't notice.

23. Peter2150

Couple of things from my experience with Rollback

1. There is a slight overhead from Rollback/EazFix. Only makes sense since the regular Windows disk reads and writes now have to be passed thru the driver of RB/EF before they get written.

2. On the defrag, I found it interesting. I would defrag and then install Rollback. Adding deleting stuff, running Rollback's defrag, and when it worked it worked well. When I finally uninstalled Rollback, either for an image, or finally, I would check the disk status with Perfect Disk. Interestingly it really didn't change much.

Pete

24. Get

Get Guest

Couldn't have said it better. :)

25. incursari

incursari Registered Member

Yes during my testing with RB Rx for a week, I had Diskeeper running too. I do online/offline defragmentation. Adjust the FragShield setting, and let Diskeeper running in smart scheduling. Do rollback from a few snapshot without any problem.

Just for info about my system setting during those tests, I have two hard disk:
    1. Disk 0 - “C:\” drive. ( Windows XP )
    2. Disk 1 - “D:\” drive ( Backup )
    - “E:\” drive ( Page files )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.