Rollback RX and Kaspersky File corruption

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by starfish_001, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

On my last Rollback install - KIS appears to be corrupting systems files and itself upon shutdown. This appears to be happening When the system is shut down. I have replaced the disk , controller and cables the problem persists.

If I remove KIS the problem is solved I have been using Version 6.0.0.303

# Version 6.0.0.300 was fine
    # Version 6.0.1.411 not tried
    # KAV was always fine before

So having tested everything and then removed KIS I have deduced that KIS is the source of the problem.

I'm not sure if it is the interaction of the 2 products or the recent ms updates. Corrupting the system every boot cycle even with a recovery product in place is not workable.

I have raised a couple of support notes but in the mean time ...

Anyone one else had problems?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I wonder if KIS's self protection is somehow interfering with the Rollback kernel level file system.

3. starfish_001

Yes could be but ....

I did disable KIS a few times the result is always the same did not seem to make any difference - a freeze in normal running or corruption on shutdown. Not just KIS files other files as well mostly system related

All started about a month ago - so could be related to one of the MS updates

I would have take Rollback off but I've never been 100% happy imaging rollback and then restoring. Drive backup and Drive snapshot work most of the time.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That sort of points at Rollback. It is hooked deep in the operating system, so that could be a source of trouble.

5. starfish_001

Indeed my first reaction was to blame RB, but given the nature of the problem I decided to try and fix it by time shifting. Removing RB would have probably trashed the system on the uninstall reboot.

As this is my media server I don't really want to mess with it - SATA drives etc. My experience with restoring images with rollback installed is not really satisfactory.

First Defence is never this much trouble..... If this machine was single boot I move this over to FD straightway anway ...

At the moment I have
    • removed KIS
    • installed Comodo
    • Installed MS updates from October

..... and the problem has gone for now- Time for a new image.

I'll give it a few days then remove RB and take a new clean image and then start over again.

6. starfish_001

I thought I'd reinstall KIS 303 or 300 both worked fine but now they cause the same problem ...

The config on this machine is static so the only changes have been KAV or MS updates even Rollback has remained same version

So for now - KIS is off until KAC or HDS can tell me what is going on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.