Rollback Rx + Altiris SVS = ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by subssubs, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subssubs

subssubs Registered Member

Hi, I have been a happy user of RB 7.21 for several months now. Recently I came across Altiris SVS, which sounds absolutely interesting. Before trialling it, I was wondering if anybody has had the experience of running both on the same box, and with what results.
    Also, anybody trialled Returnil + Altiris SVS?

Thanks!

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello subssubs. :)

I am not running either at the moment and I haven't even tried to run them together. But if I remember correctly, Altiris creates a folder on root of your C drive where it puts deactivated installed (virtualized) programs, their files, registry settings and all other related stuff :D When you activate a virtualized app, Altiris actually moves it's files to appropriate folder under Program Files (and other locations, registry, start menu, etc), when you deactivate it, the files are moved back to Altiris folder on C root. This is basically a quick install/uninstall. (I am actually not sure if I explained that well enough :doubt: )
    Anyway, Rollback should create a snapshot of your C including that Altiris root folder, as this is physically just another folder on a partition. I see no reason for possible conflicts with RollbackRx, if that's what you referred to. Or maybe you want to achieve some other results?

I have no experience with Returnil. :)

Oh yes, BTW have you seen Thinstall? This looks even more interesting than Altiris. But be carefull and take a quick look at the price. LOL. :D Actually, WTF :blink:

Cheers,

3. subssubs

subssubs Registered Member

I find WTF highly appropriate :ouch: :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.