Rollback Rx 9 Pagefile Issue

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by firzen771, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

for some reason my pagefile is disabled and i cant re enable it, as soon as i restart, it goes back to being disabled, i heard someone else with this issue with rollback rx as well and was wondering if anyone knows any fix or workaround for it?

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I had another issue in Win7x64. I use fixed size pagefile and after installing Rollback, i was getting a message that a "temporary pagefile" was created because of some problem. I had 8 GB RAM and 4 GB pagefile, also tried 8 GB pagefile, it just didn't like any of these sizes... Not to mention that the dev admitted that despite the ultra anti-piracy protection and tying the product to the Hard Disk, the software calls home at EVERY reboot to check again the license, probably during boot, since i don't remember it giving so many firewall alerts... Which is part of the trouble some people have with their license "deactivating" out of the blue because they disconnect.

I am actually running XP again right now, sick and tired of the numerous quirks of this software and HAPPILLY running FD PC Rescue. I will move back to Win7 after the reincarnation of FD PC Rescue for 7 is released (within a month according to Todd).

Sorry, no idea for solution.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  3. firzen771

alright, nice info that rollback rx does have quite a few "small" quirks, ill be waiting for Comodo's product to be released then.

4. bbrigg

bbrigg Registered Member

I would say that Rollback RX 9 has more than a few small quirks. I have used the software for some time but finally removed it today due to a complete lack of faith in the product.

Since updating to a new laptop running Vista x64 I have never been able to update the baseline without the program crashing out with a message about insufficient disk space (306 out of 444 GB free) and then uninstalling itself after I restarted the system. Trying to reinstall Rollback RX 9 failed with the message:

"Error 8801: Insufficient disk space to install subsystem."

Contacting the support team produced this message:

"You mentioned that your disk partition is showing 305 GB free out of 444 GB. That is to say, the used space of your disk partition is 139 GB, right? If so, that is the cause to your problem. Cuz Rollback could be installed onto the PC only when the size of used space of your system partition is less then 128GB. So now you are suggested to remove some of your programs from the PC to release more disk space. Then make a reinstallation of Rollback. After that, you could reinstall these deleted programs onto your PC."

I managed to reinstall after that episode but had the same thing again today when I tried to update the baseline. This time I have not been able to reinstall after 3 attempts.

Since Horizon Datasys do not bother to inform users of any 128 GB limitation ands since the program will not update the baseline without crashing and uninstalling itself and I do not want to have to copy all of my music or image files off then back to the drive Rollback RX 9 is useless to me.

5. firzen771

well i havent had any real issue like that, only one is really the pagefile that ive experienced... :doubt: other than been extremely reliable for me.

6. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Fuzzfas & firzen, those problems are likely happening because Rollback Rx does not (yet) officially support Win7!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  7. firzen771

that culd be the reason.

8. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Yes, in fact in XP , again with fixed page file, Rollback never had problem with it.

The thing is, Rollback has a so slow developing cycle. This version is released last May. They had plenty of time to put forward a Win7 compatible version. Instead, in their forum you read "it should work fine for 95% of Win7 users"...

Anyway, buying a license was probably the worst buy i 've ever done in software. Not their fault of course, mine. I did the buy with too much haste.

1) EAZ Fix (my license was for EAZ Fix, but you can use it on either programs) had checkdisk at every boot. I switched to Rollback, it didn't have that issue. Still, this brings me doubts about stability and data corruption.

2) I should have known earlier about the non recommendation for using degragmenters. I find this a serious limitation of the program (i wish i had disovered it earlier).

3) About 1 1/2 month after i buy a license, they come up with an 80% discount (and i end up feeling like a total idiot :D ).

4) As i said, i would have expected a Win7 ready version earlier, the RC was out there for months, they had plenty of time to test it.

5) After all this, i appreciated much more the more limited , yet very reliable First Defence PC Rescue, which though they don't intend to support further for Win7 and i bought less than 1 year ago , which gives me yet another reason to feel like an idiot. If they 'd at least release a PC Rescue version that recognizes the boot sector of Win7! Of course the worst part will be for those that still buy First Defence PC Rescue, ignoring the fact that they are about to call it End of Life product, THINKING that Horizon will actually support it for Win7 too...

6) Result: I am not buying anything else from them. Looking forward to this: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=255824

At least you can defrag freely with it, never had checkdisk poping up at every boot, no problem with pagefile, rock stable. Shame they abbandoned it.

9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Have to exercise some patience here. EAZ-Fx and Rollback will release their Win 7-supported version in a couple of weeks and your 1st problem will be gone and you'll be a happy man again:D

As for your 2nd problem. nothing much can be done since it's EOL. Just use it
    as it is now.:ninja:

10. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I was told by EAZ-Fx that it's compatible with Win 7. I'm dual booting XP and 7 with no issues that I know of.

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yes, I know. But many users here do so many things to their system and they still expect their softwares to work on them without any problems.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.