Rollback RX 8.0 CHKDSK...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Atomas31, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

yeah and i'm very thankful for that, atleast before i buy this product i know the consequences. but as i told you before, i try this software for more than a week of running ckdsk/backuping/restoring/etc.etc. WITHOUT any problem.

silver, wow so RBRx trashed your hard drive.... how did you know that RBRx is the culprit are you sort of software developer? another myth i guess?...i appreciate if you can share your support ticket so that we may know what the heck Horizon is doing until now this CHkdsk/RBRx still an issue.

well i want to share to you my experience with Kaspersky AV7..... when i installed KIS7 my system fvcked up big time and some of my application is crashing STARTING when i installed KIS7....i keep blaming KIS7 is causing the problem blah blah blah....i just found out that uninstalling Norton (which is pre installed in my laptop) is not enought and need to use removal kit....maybe its the same with RollbackRx, maybe RBRx is not comfortable in some of your application.....or maybe RBRx hated your system...well another MAYBE though.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Straight from the website of Horizon DataSys :
    http://www.horizondatasys.com/169614.ihtml
    Users, who buy this software, are only blinded by its speed and its less space usage.

Personally, I find it crazy to pay $70 for a software that doesn't work properly and that is supposed to SAVE my computer. Instead of that, users have to save RBRx. That is ridiculous.
    Hey, we are talking about RECOVERY, not some fast game.
    Recovery software needs only one main feature : RELIABILITY. If it also fast, the better.

RBRx has a bad engine and the programmers cannot fixed it, not even after one year. That is very ABNORMAL.
    RBRx is nothing more than a BETA software, that is sold as a final version.

If I was a RBRx-user, I don't want that $1,000, I just want a refund.

PS: RBRx is not the only flop of HDS. Their anti-executable software was also a flop and ended up as a freeware.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One thing to clarify for new readers, and this is at least for me. They way Horizon posted, and from some of the reads, the implication is chkdsk is running and causing rollback problems.

The way I see it, is it isn't a chkdsk problem, its a Rollback problem that is causing chkdsk to run. Ergo it isn't a chkdsk problem, we are just sort of refering to it that way.

4. fce

fce Registered Member

(((((explain before you complain)))))

where's your support ticket? did you personally talk to RBRx Developer? it's like you know everything about RBRx development. why you don't want to challenge RBRx that your Myth is correct? if $1,000 reward is true, the message of Horizon Data is clear, show them the proof....or else your experience regarding Chkdsk/RBRx is only a PURE MYTH.

Sir erik, i'm not angry alright. ;) it's just i did not experience it by myself after using RBRx. Also just to let you know that i do a lot of restore many times using RBRx and i can at-test the Reliability of RBRx.

peace. :-*

5. ErikAlbert

I was never interested in RBRx and I explained why and more than once. If other members don't agree with me, that's OK.
    I only work for free, if the software is interesting for me. Support ticket ? No. Lottery ticket ? Yes. ;)

Sorry to say, but HDS's programmers aren't very talented and just like in any other job, there are very skilled programmers, good programmers, bad and very bad programmers. I know that by experience, I work for a computer department since 1987, so I heared enough stories.

I'm only interested in the combination "ShadowProtect Desktop and FirstDefense-ISR" and I don't spend my time on mediocre or beta softwares and certainly not at home. :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

The following is a support ticket I send to them on 28/8/2007

They responded me that they have this fixed for the version 8.1.

This one was submitted on 8/6/2007
    The above must be related with the defrag of Rollback RX(I had 5 snapshots). But we could not invastigate further since I had formatted my c: partition.

7. ErikAlbert

Yes, RBRx is a robust system restore utility.
    - Classic hal.dll missing :eek:
    - \windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt o_O
    - 1-2-3 restores with 1-2-3 failures of 5 snapshots, including the baseline. :eek:
    - no successful copy of corrupted file on BartPE-disk :mad:
    - I had a total of 5 snapshots, including baseline, not anymore
    - hey, I don't see any chkdsk :p

RollbackRx's final immediate system recovery solution : formatting harddisk[C:] and start all over again. :cool:

My conclusion : RBRx seems to be slower than FDISR. :)

Nevermind, all problems will be fixed in RollbackRx v69.0 Beta :oops:

8. fce

fce Registered Member

if you're not interested with Rollback Rx.....then why you are cursing the software, it seems that you almost know everything about RBRx. Just leave RBRx alone if you're not interested, no need to give bad feedback in the first place you're not interested with the software.

no bodys perfect dude....and don't believe in her-say.

peace.

9. fce

fce Registered Member

that's good to hear, but the problem you stated is not related to CHKDSK error right?

10. pandlouk

Hehe:p

I didn't saw any chkdsk either; but that was because I was not in front the pc when it happened. If I suspected that it was related with it I would have investigate a little more and would try to replicate it more times.

ps. Erik I think that you are a little unfair over Rollback RX developers. FirstDefence-ISR has some major flaws too. Especially with Vista; for example https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=184009
    There are other bugs too but I learned how to avoid them.:p

conclusion: Rollback-RX and FD-ISR when they give bugs they are the opposite of their name. Not instant restore programs:). But when they work I love them:-* :rolleyes:. A love-hate relation I guess:D .

11. pandlouk

It is not related, at least directly.

The second one probably was caused by the chkdsk, but I was not at the pc when it occured. I only saw the results; and at the time I didn't suspected it had to do with this.
    The same reason that they do not have any tickets about this nasty bug. It can happen when you are not in front of the computer. Rollback should babysit us and not the opposite ;) :p .

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I think the intentions here is to provide as many views about Rollback Rx application glitches as possible. It's fine to give negative feedback and not be thought of cursing the software. After all, that's what this forum is all about. If all software are perfect, we would have nothing to discuss here.:rolleyes:

The best thing that has now happened is that the Rollback developers have now taken a serious view of the purported (fce calls it myth) chkdsk issues corrupting snapshots and that is not acceptable by any paying customers.:cool:

Would be really good if one of their developer can hop in here to listen to our feedback, however negative that may have sound from some of us here which is justified when you lose our snapshot, even just once, lose your data, etc.:mad:

And fce won't have to play the "Rollback Rx" ambassor role creating myths and causing miseries to us and himself.:p

13. Peter2150

We have to be very careful of how we state thing. The above statement is quite inaccurate. "chkdsk issues corrupting snapshots" is totally incorrect. Chkdsk is doing nothing more than it is supposed to which is correct errors in the windows file system. The problem is Rollback causing the corruption that causes chkdsk to run. It is the misstatements that lead to "myths", and just end up causing confusion, even for the developers.

Pete

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, here's my take on all this.

I recall some time ago wanting desparately to install a simple driver program named snoopfree but each and every time i tried it would BSOD my units. After a few more updated versions, i gave up. While posting in the forums one day, i got tired of seeing the siggys of peeps with snoopfree listed as well as all the satisfaction and decided to try it yet again. By this time it had gone freeware. Well, lo and behold, guess what. It's been working perfectly on ALL my units ever since without so much as the slightest issue, not a one.

Next, no matter how many versions of Sandboxie i tried, the darn program just wouldn't show 100% compatibility and each and every time i ended up uninstalling it and also gave it up. Well, once again, this latest version (3) FINALLY!! works perfectly also. Not a single problem yet.

In my own experience with RollbackRx, it has been plagued with serious problems (bugs) and i confirmed this time and time again with versions 7.23 & 8 BOTH.

I liked very much how it worked and especially the lightning quick speed of things, but it continuously reached some dark apex where my units refused to even boot, leaving me with only a single BASELINE snapshot to return to.

I blew off a lot of steam over this issue and some took offense at that, but i put much more stock in my research work & data then most, so i felt it was very justified in bashing it long enough to get out all the frustrations suffered by it, DATA LOSS, NO BOOT, FORCED TO UNINSTALL..........etc.

The moral of this is that i had to eventually give up on yet another problem program.
    Now watch a new version come out that this time works perfectly. :cool:

15. fce

fce Registered Member

Pete,
    Can you back up your statements and submitted support ticket to Horizon? If not you are creating another Myths.

If you guys will not report it and the developer will not confirm that bug....consider that as a Myths.

Pandlouk, even you you can't pinpoint/confirm that Chkdsk/RBRx issue....so i guess the Myths is true :)

peace.

16. pandlouk

I only said that probably was caused by the chkdsk issue. I did not say that I am sure about this. And I said probably because of the similarity with the corrupted files:
    1. Since I could replicate the problem, with this unusual mode, is a proof that is not a myth. If it was, I wouldn't have succeded in this more than 20 times, and always with similar results.
    :eek: :blink: o_O Another proof that is caused by Rollback RX. I have never seen this happen without Rollback RX installed!

17. fce

fce Registered Member

pandlouk,

thanks for the clarification...but still i'm not in the position to confirm that Chkdsk/RBRx issue.

If RBRx developer never confirmed that bug/issue and after I experienced how good (fast and reliable) is RBRx ver8....in my honest opinion, the bug/issue you are talking about is a myths.

bottomline is report that freakin' problem to Horizon and don't keep it by yourself. If you reported that to Horizon you will help a lot of RBRx future user (including me :-* ).

peace

18. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Got it !.......An appeal to fce to request his Rollback Rx developer to come to this forum to listen to us and our myths and improve the robustness of their software.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I just want to add something to this CHKDSK discussion which seems to be drawing quite an audience.

Even with my favorite and MOST dependable rollback program FD-ISR, i did experience a severe problem with CHKDSK once and it proceeded to ruin my Archives after i let it run, what i thought was a routine check for file integrity. It blasted ALL my archives in a single run and render them totally unusable again.

I'm beginning to see Peter2150's point in all this now more clearly. The same may very well apply to RollbackRX and the problems users have run into with this same frustration.

"IF" and/or "WHEN the file system becomes for whatever reason throwed completely out-of-pattern expected of by the Windows auto-check system, CHKDSK, in making it's corrective measures, it can completely render useless snapshots/archives. I see this is happened with FD-ISR for me but more pronounced perhaps with RollbackRX.

Something in these Rollback programs code at some stage whether it's a program we install or something else, apparently can make an undesirable change to the file structure and alert CHKDSK to a potential problem which it deems needs attention.

The problem IMO, is that CHKDSK being completely independent of these rollback programs code structure and activity, can't compensate and so it proceeds to reorder structure to Windows idea of how the file system should be patterned. Any serious deviations from that, causes CHKDSK to run thru when confronted with rollback files and that NEW reordering upsets the delicate balance of code which makes these rollback programs function.

Does this line of thought seem reasonably close for some of you to some accurate conclusion on this matter?

Thanks

20. pandlouk

You are welcome. Yes I always report the problems to the developers first.

But I realized that the problem is not the chkdsk issue. It is not important if Rollback RX causes the chkdsk to run or viceversa. As I stated over at the Horizon's forum:

21. Peter2150

Easter and all

Remember Rollback adds a layer onto the file structure. It passes all I/O requests thru a kernel level driver to it's own system for managing disk sectors. These added files are actually invisible to the windows system. So you modifiy a file and the actual new version is in different sectors unknown to windows. Not surprising that stuff can go astry.

FCE

Your "myth" "stuff" is getting tiresome. I responded to the forum thread started by Rollback folks and which their developer jumped into. I see no reason for opening a support ticket. Also I talked with the developer about this over a year ago, and suggested what he could do to see the problem. Either he didn't do it, or couldn't fix it.

Be warned when/if you finally post that Rollback has nailed you, and you don't have any back up, it will be suggested that what happened to you is a myth.

Nanana

The rollback folks probably won't come here. They have their own forum, and you(not you personally) can post there if you are a registered user. If you aren't, why would you care if they came here.

Pete

22. fce

fce Registered Member

Yeah me too i'm getting tired of hearing Chkdsk and RBRx issue without even reporting to proper authority and just keep bashing RBRx here in wilders. Poor RBRx their loosing client because of this user who keep blaming RBRx of this so called CHkdsk problem.

I hope this will give lesson to everyone before bashing any software/application.....better submit ticket to developer before complaining like a chicken....

"explain before you complain"

peace and have a good weekend. :)

23. Peter2150

FCE

I don't know if you've purchased Rollback yet, or registered it yet, but I do know you haven't read their post on their on forum.

When they posted their $1000.0 challenge, they stated that Support for the testing would be provided in that thread, and with support tickets(if logs were necessary). The key developers even posted some further details. Several of us have indeed posted what we have done in that thread, so we have met the requirement that they spelled out. They have yet to respond.

You might have a look at that thread, before posting things like you just posted.

Pete

24. fce

fce Registered Member

Hi pete,

I'm talking long time ago, guys here keep banging RBRx without doing the right way (submitting support ticket)...anyway Horizon created the thread on their forum dated September 7....so the "explain before you complain" is due also by Sept 7 :D

Alright, enough of lots of complain re: CHKDSK/RBRx issue....if you guys cannot reproduce the issue based on Developer requirements....just shut up and enjoy your other imaging or system restore software. NO IF's or BUT's.

Here's from RBRx developer....

Because it's a serious problem, Rollback is failing its function; and it has a well-defined measure, a once good snapshot now produces CHKDSK. That's why I challenged the sales guys to put out this reward for anyone who can reproduce the CHKDSK problem. Reproduce the CHKDSK problem in my mind would look something like this:
    1. You install Rollback on a PC and create a baseline snapshot (Baseline snapshot is always a good known snapshot, because otherwise system won't boot after setup).
    2. You take a snapshots S1, S2...Sx and you are certain these snapshots are good known snapshots (you have restored to them and the system came up fine without CHKDSK).
    3. You then do a, b, c, d....X, Y, Z sequence of things to the PC (of course within the support scope of Rollback, not booting from a CD or put a hammer to the PC).
    4. When you restore to any one of good know snapshot, you see CHKDSK now. Obviously something you did has break the protection of Rollback.
    Bingo! you got the thousand dollars and you are a hero of all Rollback developers.

Again no IF's or BUT's.....

25. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Just hopping this Rollback infamous chkdsk issue to be resolved.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.