Rollback RX 8.0 CHKDSK...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Atomas31, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

2. fce

fce Registered Member

there you go.....now its your chance to prove the CHKDSK/RBRx issue :D

i told you guys its only a myth!

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay I went and looked at the website. First I don't think under "normal" circumstances that Rollback "caused" chkdsk to run, or when it ran it failed to correct problems. BUT.....

When I don't have rollback on the system I've never, repeat never had chkdsk run. That includes crashes, hangs and power resets. But with Rollback on the system, the same events have caused check disk to run. It always seemed to fix the problems, but when the errors got really bad, I aborted using the program.

May torture test the system this weekend.

4. fce

fce Registered Member

ei give me 5% if you got the jackpot price :thumb:

i run 5 chkdsk with RBRx installed i cant duplicate any crashes....pls god give me that chkdsk crashes I need 1000 bucks!!! :D

5. Peter2150

It's not chkdsk that crashes.

6. fce

fce Registered Member

i though when you run chkdsk with RBRx installed it will crash during chkdsk operation?

7. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Poor HDS, their programmers must be desperate.

9. fce

fce Registered Member

Erik i'm not saying i'm right but based on my experience using RBRx i never experienced that CHKDSK issue with RBRx installed in my system.

i think they're desperate because NO BODY DARE TO SUBMIT SUPPORT TICKET REGARDING CHKDSK/RBRx ISSUE.

Why you guys who experience CHKDSK/RBRx issue take Horizon challenge? $1,000 is a big bucks instead of wasting your time here and posting CHKDSK/RBRx issue :D

10. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Depends on whether I have to spend more that 10 minutes solving the problem. The fact they can't solve the problem themselves suggests to me that they don't fully understand the implications of the system they've designed (ie. by working below the user-level OS), which is a BIG problem for software used for recovery purposes.

11. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

CHKDSK-errors always create such heated discussions! lol

12. Peter2150

Well I run the same abuse, that I recommended to them over a year ago, with same result.

First, FCE, it's not that there are errors with Chkdsk. Chkdsk runs when there are problems with the file system. What Rollback does is when the system experiences a problem Rollback screws up the files and that's why chkdsk runs in the first place. It's that damage to the file system that's the problem. This time I saw some errors listed in chkdsk that were downright scary. After chkdsk finished the system wouldn't boot. What happens at this point is pure luck. Some folks have had their whole system trashed. In this case I booted to another snapshot and it booted. The then booted back to the damaged snapshot and it did boot. But given the errors chkdsk reported, I don't have real confidence in the integrity of my file system. Restoring image now.

FCE. LET ME WARN YOU IN THE STRONGEST TERMS. Don't try this unless you have a image to restore your system, as you could well trash it. This attempt things seemed okay on the surface. I sure don't trust the system at that point, and it could have been non bootable.

What did I do. Nothing but simulate the crashing and hangs of the system and having to reset to clear. Did this in the coarse of the system booting and shutting down. Realistic. How do you think I first thought of this test.

With FDISR installed I did the test about 10 times at different stages. Had a few of the windows didn't start correctly, but that was it.

With Rollback each boot caused the Rollback message improper shutdown check disk. No problem. The last time after that chkdsk ran. That says the file system had been damaged.

This is the "chkdsk" problem users here are talking about. It's really about file system integrity.

Pete

PS. Posted in the thread at the Horizon forum

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  13. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

The Rollback developers are finally taking this chkdsk issue seriously and that's good. Let's all help to identify the problem so that they can solve it. From a user's point of view, having even one corrupted rollback snapshot or worse, cannot boot up to windows due to chkdsk run is just nopt acceptable.

Hopefully, this will bring us a more robust Rollback Rx software.

And....(fce) let's stay away from provocative comments and be engaged in constructive exchanges.

14. fce

fce Registered Member

Hi nanana1,
    First of all, i have high respect with Erik and Pete....sometime I'm being cocky but believe me I'll never hit that two guys ;) ...they teach me a lot.

I just want to know the truth about that Chkdsk/RBRx issue which i never experience it myself.

now my challenge to everyone (without $1,000 bucks :p )....submit ticket to horizon support regarding Chkdsk/RBRx issue and let's start from there.

((((((((EXPLAIN BEFORE YOU COMPLAIN))))))))) :D

PS: Pete, thanks for the test info....
    how did you know that the culprit is Rollback or Rollback screwing up the files? Another myth, IMO

appreciated if you can give me a support ticket for my reference in knocking Horizon support before buying ver. 8.1 this coming week.

15. fce

fce Registered Member

it's only a myth.

c'mon guys what's the hold ups submitting ticket to Horizon.

peace!

PS: to horizon data, better PM'd me some discount coupon :D

16. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi fce,

I can assure you that is not a myth. After lots of tests I finally managed to replicate this issue more than 20 times. The difficult thing in this is that neither us (the users), neither the development team suspected that it is releated with the defrag procedure of Rollback.

17. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

c´mon fce. Just because you dont have a problem doesnt mean that it doesnt exist. Anything is possible under certain circumstances. And this checkdisk issue seems to affect enough people.
    It´s like the opposite to say "xx software wont run in my computer, ergo the software is trash" The few months I used Rollback didnt give any problems with checkdisk, but I learned that I could not trust that software in my computer due to something else. But I dont call everything that is against my experience myths.
    What peter did was to show one scenario, not necessarily the only one, where he can reproduce the errors. So it is not a myth anymore, if it ever was.

18. fce

fce Registered Member

thanks pandalouk for the info.

first of all why you will shutdown your PC where Rollback Rx defrag is running? (I guess this is only for testing purposes to create chkdsk/RBRx crashes? )

second, why you did not submit support ticket to Horizon? Some developer they hate to post in the forum for the solution even though that is their official forum.

i think this problem will not solve if no body help the developer to find out the problem. No bodys perfect you know, even the developer sometimes have corrupted minds ;)

sukarof, i didn't say that because i didn't experience the problem the problem doesnt exist.

my question is very simple before i'll buy version 8.1 of RBRx....

DID SOMEBODY SUBMITTED TICKET REPORT TO HORIZON REGARDING CHKDSK/RBRx ISSUE? How many is "enough people" are you talking about and why that "enough people" never submitted ticket support to Horizon? that's why i call this issue a myth, it never exist because no body care to report.

explain before you complain.

peace!

19. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Our common objective is to make the developer aware of the problems users face, especially this chkdsk showstopper issue and to give us a more robust Rollback Rx version 8.1 which fce want to know before he will buy.

Let's all discuss this issue peacefully to that common end.:D

20. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes it was only for testing purposes. For 3 days (during my free time) I had tried everything else to reproduce it but anything I tried failed. Then it hit me:rolleyes: ,what would be the thing I would never do? Shutdown the system when defragging. This will not happen in normal use, but it can happen at the reboot time when Rollback defrags the system automatically.

Actually I use Rollback for only 3 months and I found 2 other bugs that I have submitted at them. I never came across this chkdsk problem that would not allow me to enter in a snapshot (although when I run chkdsk from the command prompt in the windows enviroment, it always report errors without fixing anything).
    I was only trying to help the developers in this nasty bug and I only succeded in replicating it, a few hours ago.:p

21. fce

fce Registered Member

if you have support ticket re: Chkdsk/RBRx issue please share it to me.....before buying this software i'll show that ticket support to sales reps if the developer is working on it. ;)

22. Peter2150

In my testing I never even ran Rollback's defragger. I ran the test that most simulates what I experience in real life.

Fce. How do I know it's Rollback. Well I never see chkdsk run if Rollback isn't on my system, and I get my fair share of BSOD's and hangs requiring reset.

Just the nature of how Rollback works lends itself to problems. It takes everything the windows I/O system does and passes it thru a kernel level driver, to it's own file system. That adds a layer on top of things and that always opens the door to problems.

Why won't I bother with a support ticket. They posted in their forum, and I responded, and will reply back as appropriate. Shouldn't require a support ticket, and if it does, thats another problem.

Pete

23. fce

fce Registered Member

you have to prove that to RBRx developer, remeber that RBRx is not only the application runs under your OS, why some of you guys experience it and other don't experience that issue...if you can't prove it, then its only a MYTH.

Posting in Horizon forum is another thing, i guess SOME of the developer are not authorized to post in third party forum or in their own forum...the best way to talk to their support is submit a support ticket.

if you will just post to their forum this problem only the sales reps or website administrator will read your problem....

the problem will not solve if thats the case and we (new user of Rollback Rx who will pay $80 for this supposedly good software) will not benefit with that system of reporting (specially Chkdsk/RbRx issue). :thumbd:

peace!

24. Peter2150

I don't have to prove it to them. It's not my problem it's theirs. I've made them aware of it, and at this point, I honestly don't care. It's their problem in the sense, they will get no more money from me and I will not recommend their software

Their lead developer posted there, so they are watching the thread. The ball is in their court. As to new users, you've been warned their are potential problems and what they are. No, not everyone will experience them that is true. But you have been alerted to the issue. You want to believe it's a myth, then fine. But I hope for your sake if you experience it you are prepared to cope.

Pete

25. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Everytime, before I uninstalled Rollback for good, that I wanted to defrag my hard drive, I had to submit a ticket to Horizon for a reset of my licenses, I have 3. Each time I did this, at least 4 and probably more over many months after v8 first came out, in the tickets that I submitted, I advised them that I was having "chkdsk" problems with v8 and that is why I wanted my v7 licenses reset, rather than my v8 licenses.

Never once, NOT once, did they respond regarding the "chkdsk" problem. All they did was reset my license, and went on their merry way denying that they had a "chkdsk" problem.

I felt that they had fixed the problem in the latest v7, and I went along for a little over two months with no problems. Then it trashed my hard drive on two different systems, without any resets, without defraging with Rollback installed, or anything of the kind, it just trashed both my C and D partitions. The D partition was left unformatted. The C partition would boot into a BSOD or just a black screen, with no preboot screen. I would have been dead in the water without my imaging program and my backups of the D partition.

Now, at least, after over a year they are admitting it. There is NO way that I am going to risk trashing my computers again by reinstalling Rollback, $1000 prize or not.

I am out $170 for 3 licenses plus maintenance. The program WILL eventually trash your system.

Silver

By the way, I am using XP, not Vista

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.