Rollback Is Flawed Period

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by EASTER, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It was a little of both, and throw CyberScrub in there in the bargain.

Although it never occurred to me, CyberScrub and Rollback Rx might be an intrinsically unstable pairing under certain settings within both applications. I believe that it is unique to when scrambling deleted files and folders (or something similar) is enabled, although I may be wrong here.

In any event, there is a very heavily populated and deeply nested temporary folder system that is created (at least under some conditions) within the free space and if Rollback Rx takes a snapshot in the middle of this developing, I could see operations head south under the strain and continuous evolution of a very complex and dense tree (i.e. entries potentially in the tens of millions).

I'm sure that you could set things up so that there is no problem, but you generally won't know to do this until after the sky has already fallen.

Blue

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

BlueZannetti just touched on something that did raise a serious concern for me shortly after installing then running EAZ-FIX, and i dare say the same holds true for Rx. After doing my normal routine of wiping deleted files with the freeware RESTORATION, thereafter before it had a chance to finish, EAZ-FIX alerted that the system was critically low on free disk space. Sure enough i checked and the entire drive was full :eek:

It then occured to me just like Blue correctly pointed out,
    and due to the nature of EAZ-FIX that accummalation was being added. It nearly floored me except that i just simply deleted that snapshot i run RESTORATION on that filled the drive, and the disk space of course was restored. Moral of this being that with an ISR like EAZ-FIX & likely RollBackRx, those type third-party tools play havoc with them, so i stop using it on the EAZ-FIX system altogether.

So no then, Blue is quite right in his summation of pairing those certain scrub utilities can be cause for instability, mine being the disk filled up like a water jug.

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Perhaps if the dissatisfied users used: IMO such & such is junk/greatest, the debate could end. Who ever complains about a software has to be, from there own perspective regarding it, otherwise the app. would not remain a commercial product, as everyone would feel the same. I also have sworn off certain companies. (Norton comes to mind)

Take Care
    Rico

4. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

O.K. how about 1stDefense and my cyberScrub cleaner? Would I be duplicating the same crisis or does 1st.Defense operate differently here with regards to the temp. file 'snap-shooting''? :(

5. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Hi Gary,
    Yes, reboot your PC and press the Home key when you see the RB screen to get into the pre-boot menu.

Select 'Advanced options' and then 'System settings'. You will then have a command window into which you enter 'lockdisk=0' (without the quotes).

You then should get a message window saying:
    'Are you sure to set LockDisk to 0 (current value 2)'

Select OK, and then Exit and you're done :) .

Graham

6. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

EF/RB is one of those solutions which it helps if you have bit of an understanding as to what is going on 'under the hood' if it is not to become part of the problem :) .

If the temporary files which you were trying to delete were part of an existing snapshot then EF/RB would not have been deleting them at all but simply redirecting the changes elsewhere.

Similarly, if a whole host of temp files have been created and a snapshot is taken then all the temp files will be kept as they form part of that snapshot. It has to do this as it doesn't know if the files are important or not.

As has been pointed out, there are some apps which are best not used with RB installed :) .

Graham

7. Empath

Empath Registered Member

I'd say it was you. My installation of Rollback "steps in" to make a snapshot only at the scheduled time I choose (first boot in a day). Any other snapshots are made manually. Otherwise Rollback sits idle doing nothing more than awaiting commands from me. If Rollback is busying itself like a "Mr. Noseybody", it's something you've done to give some strange and hazardous scheduling.

8. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Hmmm....

It's been awhile & I can't remember the settings. However I'm still left with a blurred image of rollBack getting all snap-happy when changes happened in the C: Drive such as a massive build up of temp. files.

I'll dig it up and re-install & report back.

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

FD-ISR doesn't remap sectors, so it's more transparent to the system. OTOH, FD-ISR is slower at creating snapshots and these are big.
    To each its own :)

10. fce

fce Registered Member

this topic is junk....its like you're saying that RollbackRx is not working in all computer PERIOD.

i've been using RollbackRx8.1 since release date Sept or Oct 2007, it work great and save my PC when Returnil can't fix the problem by restarting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2008
  11. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

OK, maybe the word "junk" was too strong and I should have used "highly flawed" instead.

I have tried each edition of this product since version 7 up thru 8.1. In each case, after a time, the software crashed 3 different systems including both partitions on the system drives.

I have never had a crash or problem with Raxco's First Defense, another ISR. or for that matter ShadowUser or the Radix hardware ISR.

I do know what I am doing and I am an expert in using computers and have been experimenting with different software since the days of DOS when IBM came out with the first PC in 1982.

So, for me, the problem lies in Rollback. I was also told by Todd of Leapfrog software, before they sold the rights to First Defense to Horizon, that Rollback has inherent potential for crashes in the way that it works.

I did not mean to offend any of you that seem to be enamored with this product, only to warn you. It does not crash everytime you run it, but I am convinced that it will eventually crash your computer. That is enough for me to call it "highly flawed", plus it's other deficiencies, such as having to beg for a new license when you reinstall (Horizon falsely promised to fix this last July which they have not done yet).

If it did not have these flaws, I would reinstall it, as the quick snapshot feature is great, but it is not worth the time it takes to fix the crashes with an imaging program, and then beg for a license to reinstall.

Silver

12. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I was one of the early adaptors of Rollback. I thought it was the best software since FDISR and I loved it - for three months. Then it suddenly got corrupted sanpshots. So to me it was a sign that Rollback couldnt handle my way of computing, FDISR can stand all sorts of abuse but Rollback 7.21 couldnt. I went back to (the late) FDISR which never failed me in three years.
    But I just cant get the concept behind Rollback, or rather EAZ-FIX since they are the original developers as I understand it, out of my head. I just love the fast (and many) snapshot creation idea. Even though (the original) FDISR are solid as the Mount Everest, it takes minutes to create a snapshot and that bothers me a bit (I know, I should get a life ;) )
    So I decided to give EA 8.1 another chance. I am sure Rollback 8.1 is more stable than the version I had, but it is always best to go with the latest original I think.
    And many users of Rollback arent complaining any more and now that it has a internal imaging solution..why not..
    Hopefully it will last this time. I guess I can live without having different OS´s in different snapshots (as in FDISR)
    We´ll see what I say when I used it for a couple of months....

13. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Graham,

Thank you for your reply about lockdisk=0 setting.

Gary

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It may be a piece of junk on your machine, but it doesn't mean it will be on someone else's rig.

This is true for any software. You only have to look around here at Wilders to see complaints/appraisals of a given computer program.

One can only talk of their experiences. Sometimes issues can be resolved, but at other times, we have to just accept it doesn't work for one reason or another. It doesn't mean it won't for other people.

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Exactly!

Even Hairy Coo mentioned earlier that:
    Many of you like Shadow Protect, but here a user has stated he has had problems with that in some form. That is his experience, which differs to those of you who praise the software.

This is an example of what I was saying before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.