RollBack...geez...they got me too...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by RickFromPhila, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manolito

manolito Registered Member

All this is true if you require that the image backup contains all the Rollback snapshots. But for a person like me who does not see Rollback as a backup software but instead uses it for quickly switching between different snaps which are made during testing new software, fooling around with the registry, visiting questionable website, you name it, backing up the snapshots is not necessary and also not desirable.

I do hot image backups with Acronis while Rollback is installed. This way the current state is backed up (not just the baseline). But the pre-OS Rollback system is not part of the backup, and this can cause trouble after restoring such a hot backup.

Under WinXP the trouble is minimal. The Windows part of Rollback is not functional because the pre-OS part is missing. You have to uninstall and then reinstall Rollback.

Under Win7 the situation is more complicated. After restoring the hot backup Windows refuses to boot. Using the Windows installation DVD to repair the boot failure was unable to fix it in several cases. The only reliable way I found so far is to restore the MBR from an Acronis backup which was made without Rollback being installed.

The other way to backup a machine with Rollback but without backing up the snaps is to do a cold backup. Since this way only the baseline will be backed up it is necessary to update the baseline before doing the cold backup.

BTW all my tests were done under WinXP and Win7 32-bit using Rollback RX v. 9.1. I have no idea if the current version 10.2 behaves differently...

Cheers
    manolito

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Just wondering what progress (or not) has been made on this disk.

3. RickFromPhila

RickFromPhila Registered Member

What do you guys think would happen if I simply ran Windows startup repair, uninstall rbrx...just to get back up again and then run the data recovery program active@ (superscan mode) in the Windows environment. Right now I cannot afford any expensive options like using the data recovery services as suggested. Some of the other options suggested are too technical in nature for me at my level guys.

I also guess that some of the programs that were erased by chkdsk or move by chkdsk would have to be reinstalled correct?

Also...the .wim file referred to. ..will that be refreshed or replaced after a Windows startup repair, and will it overwrite the file created by rollback?

Thanks for any help...I'm at the end of my rope, my laptop is been down for almost 9 months. Gotta try something that will preserve what I have...without destroying it. No word from hds on a new version of scavenger...or a utility that will repair the rbrx data so I can get to one of the several snapshots.

Where can i download and start reading about ax64 here on the forum? When I am back up I will uninstall rollback and install ax64...pronto.

Thanks

4. RickFromPhila

Also, does anybody know of any program that can reverse with chkdsk did to my hard drive? At least that way I can get it working back looking like normal.

I have hundreds of folders/files and have no idea where to put them back to because of chkdsk...

Thanks again

5. tgell

tgell Registered Member

6. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

There are no general-public-available utilities that reverse the effects of chkdsk.

I wouldn't do anything that writes to the disk, especially since we don't know the precise state it is currently in. Clues and structures which would prove useful to pro-level utilities will undoubtedly erased and modified.

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thanks. I deleted the post.

8. RickFromPhila

Thanks Keatah...

I don't remember posting anything twice. Some of the answers may have been too technical for me, which is why I need a basically simple or novice way to restore my disk data as best as possible without damaging anything. Anymore than Rollback already has!

It has been over 9 months since I heard anything from horizon, which tells me I don't expect to hear from them anyway. They're busy boasting about installing rollback one every computer they possibly can, etc.

Again, I'm trying to find a way to reverse the damage that chkdsk did to my drive after rollback crashed my system. If I could tap the mind of someone out there who ran into a similar problem and get some help I would appreciate it. Again not too technical please.

Also, if there is a way to repair the rollback data base if that is my problem can someone please let me know. Thanks.

9. RickFromPhila

Ok...if worse comes to worse, does anyone know of a (utility, etc.) that will at least take files and folders and put them back where they are supposed to be instead of them being relocated by chkdsk in a found.000 group of subdirectories.

*since I cannot access my rollback snapshots to copy and replace files and folders...using that junk scavenger.

In other words put them back where they belong, the ones that were not damaged or renamed but have numbers instead of the original folder/directory name.

I appreciate the brainstorming ideas. Thanks a lot guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.