Rollback 8.1 Officially Released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

i got this info re: new "disable" feature of RBRx. If this will be available in ver. 8.1...no need to uninstall RBRx when using 3rd party defragger

Nick:
    We have a support build that we will be able to provide existing customers as of
    Nick:
    Tuesday next week - that will allow users to set a command line to disable the RollBack Rx driveers so that Defraggers can work. However, this requires that users update the baseline.
    Nick:
    The build is available to existing customer of V8.1. However, you need to request the build from our support team. The defragging process is too complicated for novice users to include it into our public build.

2. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I'm sure it is fine but I have only had to go through the activation process once for each of my machines as I have a basic archive for each that has all sectors and so doesn't need re-installing and re-activating. To be honest though, for a lot of the testing that I do, I will just install the demo.
    No, I was simply pointing out that you could make a RB backup weekly/monthly and you have then the option of going back to a particular point in time with your bare metal restore. It will still only be the one snapshot but it gives you lots possibilities if you need to do a disaster recovery :) .

Graham

3. nexstar

Hi Ellison, I see pandlouk has explained this so hopefully you are ok now. The recovery.iso file in my Rollback directory is zero length so I guess the real one gets made when you go through the process. I seem to remember that you could include saved images in the iso as well so, depending on the size of your backup, you could have a bootable dvd disc which you restore from as well.

Graham

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Don't jump off the deep end. The website states the serial numbers have changed. If you purchased 8.0 file a support ticket and they will send you new numbers.

Pete

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

now i wait for a reply then,

so much for keeping your machine in-tact.

all my snapshots have been deleted, and i feel very bare.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, they replied within 24 hours, i now have my new key....

although, i havnt tried it yet :)

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Thanks to both for replies.However im still having difficulties so somethings not working correctly for me.In the recovery media builder screen,ive browsed to my desktop in the filename box and called the file backup.I then started the process which said it was successful and indeed on my desktop is the backup.iso file which is about 36 meg.I then burnt this to cd disk.I then rebooted my machine and the disk loaded ,to a rollback screen ...again with no snapshots ,or baseline or indeed anything except a mouse cursor.Just what exactly is supposed to show when you boot that recovery disk ,and if its snapshots ,do you have any idea why theres none showing on mine?
    tia
    ellison

8. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Just an FYI if you schedule rollback to rollback to a specified snapshot at restart it will slow the system to a crawl. HDS is working on the issue. I'm not saying it affects everyone but just letting you know it might affect you. You can always restore to that snapshot manually and it will be back to normal. Not a system threatening bug but it might spook you at first.

Thanks,

Chris

9. nexstar

I can't say I'd noticed this but maybe I'm just used to slow systems anyway :) . I'll try a few tests for comparison.

Graham

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Tried this with 8.0 :mad:
    Crawl ain't the word for it.:thumbd:

11. fce

fce Registered Member

Hi Chris,

I try the semi frozen or schedule rollback to rollback to a specified snapshot at restart....it add 15secs in my startup time.

not bad.

12. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You are welcome. :)
    After I reported the cd incompatibility with my system, they told me they will use another linux distribution for making another cd. Probably this one will solve your problems too. ;)

13. pandlouk

Hi Chris,

Do you have "keep these files or folders unchanged" enabled? On my system when it is enabled loads much slower. If is disabled the loading speed is ok.

14. fce

fce Registered Member

better to saved your personal file in partition D (unprotected by Rollback Rx) so you don't need to enable "keep these files or folders unchanged".....i got this idea from Nexstar and its very useful.

15. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Is it really true?

Does v8.1 still require you to email Horizon to reset your license everytime you want to defrag your system drive or uninstall/reinstall Rollback? If true, that is absolutely the end all of incompetence and arrogance.

16. fce

fce Registered Member

Nick:
    We have a support build that we will be able to provide existing customers as of
    Nick:
    Tuesday next week - that will allow users to set a command line to disable the RollBack Rx driveers so that Defraggers can work. However, this requires that users update the baseline.
    Nick:
    The build is available to existing customer of V8.1. However, you need to request the build from our support team. The defragging process is too complicated for novice users to include it into our public build.

17. pandlouk

Hi silver,
    as I said earlier

18. silver0066

Now, isn't that a pleasant way to treat end users.

Instead of including this feature, which has been criticized now for over a year, you have to email them for a special build after purchasing, with no warning on their sales site, in order to perform basic functions on your hard drive. What if the end user does not use Wilders? He or she would never know!

It is outrageous how these people conduct business!!!

19. silver0066

Except on weekends and holidays and after they belly-up. Then what do you do?

20. pandlouk

Silver the defrag switch is there. I checked it yesterday and it works ok.

Hehehehe :D
    What do you mean? Simply wait for Monday to come. :p :D

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Do you know what the defrag switch does. What is more of a pain to me is if I image, and restore, Rollback is disabled, and I have to do two uninstalls, and reinstalls.

22. silver0066

Then, what is this all about?
    Nick:
    Nick:
    Nick:

23. pandlouk

It disables the driver that ignores the defrag IO requests, until you reboot.

24. fce

fce Registered Member

guys, is built-in RBRx defrag not enough to do the work and still need to use 3rd party defragmenter or windows defrag?

25. nexstar

This must be peculiar to certain setups I guess. I tried earlier on a fairly fresh installation and, without RB at all, the system took 60 seconds to boot up. With RB, it took an extra 15 seconds and the restore at restart added no more than 5 seconds to that.

I also tried keeping a few files unchanged. This obviously only happens once the system has booted but only took a matter of seconds.

This was on XP in case that's a factor.

Graham

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.