Rollback 8.1 Officially Released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

if your HDD is corrupted you don't need to uninstall RBRx, just proceed with image restore. who cares to uninstall RBRx when your HDD is fvcked up.

now if your HDD is working fine and you want to restore your system, why do you need to restore using your back up image where you can restore your system using Rollback snapshot (not using RBRx bootable disc).

use RBRx recovery disc for bare metal recovery

use Rollback system for system restore due to corrupter program or equal.

don't make your life very complicated.

0.02cents

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi Erik,
    about your questions (I tested on vmware since the boot cd does not work on my machine):
    1. Yes
    2. Yes. It also has the ability of resizing the partitions and to set a primary partition "active".
    3. Yes

If you image from within windows the current snapshot is imaged.
    If you image from the cd the baseline snapshot is imaged.
    They plan to change this in the future. (I asked the same think the developer and I used as example FD-ISR; you can update from v2 to v3 without problems)

It cannot image all the snapshots. And since it does not images the hidden/tables of Rollback, after the restore Rollback is disabled. I asked the developer if they can add a switch to enable/disable rollback. This way a user will not have to reinstall. He told me that Rollback has this ability and probably in the next update they will add the switch.

About imaging the snapshots I had suggested to add a switch hide/unhide(snapshots) on the preboot screen. It should not be necessary to have the ability enter in the OS when the snapshots are visible. This would permit every imaging program to capture all the snapshots.

ps. if everyone that would like to to see these features, send a ticket at the support asking them to implement them, maybe they'll consider to add them sooner.;)

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In other words, RollbackRx v8.1 still needs to be improved to become a full recovery solution. I prefer to see ALL my snapshots after a restore. That is the final goal of each restore : getting exactly back what you had in the past during the backup. Anything else is unacceptable for me.

ShadowProtect and FDISR are able to do this. Since I'm re-installing my computer, I do nothing but restores of images with FDISR and without FDISR. Each time I get back what I want and it doesn't matter if my target harddisk is zero-ed, formatted or has still a previous installed Window with or without FDISR and without needing or changing switches.

4. pandlouk

Check here http://www.horizondatasys.com/page.aspx?id=177162
    They give a discount code of 15% if you Refer Rollback RX to a friend or write a review about it.

I could not agree more :thumb: . I want to restore everything back and to have the ubility to update the program without loosing anything. :cautious:
    And this is the reason I asked Andrew to add these features.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Did you restore the image? Thats the bottom line.

6. fce

fce Registered Member

thanks!

already submitted my review :D

peter, it doesn't matter if i restore the image or not....your like saying that RBRx is not capable of restoring an image or questioning the reliability of RBRx image restore....remember that the main purpose of RBRx is restoring snapshot/image, so it should work....i already tested restoring my snapshot without any problem, i guest its should work also when restoring image.

what's important for me that time when i run recovery disc is viewing my save image at external/internal HDD and not restoring my saved image.

7. ErikAlbert

I "see" my archives and images all the time, but that doesn't mean I can "restore" them. I "assume" I can restore them, but that's not proven until I really "restore" them.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Exactly why i keep a compliment of used hard drives to test such procedures, although time consuming, the results either up or down, confirm without a doubt exactly what a program, in this case rollback/imaging program can and cannot accomplish to our satisfaction.

9. ErikAlbert

I always restore my images, when they are important, that is better than any verification of an image.
    It wouldn't be the first time, that an user can't restore an image, I've seen this regularly in the Acronis forums.
    Doing a backup is the easy part, doing a restore is the exciting part. Many users are even afraid of doing a restore and do it only when they really need it and then they are surprised that the restore doesn't work.
    That's what you get, when you "assume" too much and don't try it for real. :)

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I never once lost a single RESTORE when using Paragon Drive BackUp Pro!

It's as routine as someone running a AS scanner anymore. Paragon has certainly raised the bar on dependability w/o issue or error. It's a matter of making your choice adjustments to the settings, and away we go. I now create PARAGON HOT PROCESSING images w/Verify and the restores are as if nothing ever happened, except restoring an exact duplicate of the system/programs/settings, just as they were.

It's truly an amazing work of art and the reason i have stayed with them for years now without reservation or change of heart. It just WORKS!

11. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I have also now tried out a bare metal restore and can confirm that it worked ok for me. It wouldn't recognise my DVD-ROM drive for creating the recovery disc and so I used the facility to create an iso and then burned that to a disc later.

I have also emailed them about the imaging and not having to re-activate. I got quite excited when I saw options in the recovery section to restore the MBR and a sector recovery. Sadly, I think restoring the mbr in this case probably means putting it back to where it was before RB and the sector recovery only seems to be of use for other OS's :( . Of course, I did the same recovery using Drive Snapshot and all restored perfectly :) .

While it would be nice to have the restoration of all snapshots without using a third-party application, in reality RB will restore exactly the number of snapshots you need in the event of disaster recovery. ie one :) . You obviously have the option of saving as many individual snapshots as you like off-disk so that you can select which point in time to restore.

I did wonder if there could be some reluctance on the part of HDS to save an activated image as it could potentially be deployed very easily across a number of similar hardware setups. Although I feel that, if this were the case, then they must know that the tools are out there to do this anyway.

Graham

12. fce

fce Registered Member

there you go, nexstar confirmed RBRx bare metal recovery.

if some of you don't believe re: RBRx image restore, then much better try it yourself.

13. pandlouk

Hi Graham,
    I do not understand why everyone talks about the activation and that you have to ask them to reactivate o_O . If you provide them your Product ID and your Registration ID, they will send you the Registration Code.
    They provided it to me from the very first day. My friend was even luckier, since they gave him the codes for his 2 licences, only 5 minutes after his requests :eek: . I can install/uninstall it all the times I want.:D
    To me it seems the most user friendly activation system I have ever seen.
    o_O Can you explain it a little? I did not see any option to choose a particular snapshot.

14. Peter2150

HI fce

You didn't get what I was saying. Has nothing to do with Rollback. It is true of any imaging program. The only way you know for sure an image is good, is to restore it. I use ShadowProtect as I consider it the most reliable, and I still restore each an every image, if I am going to rely on it.

When I did all the testing, first thing I did was image and restore the system.

Pete

PS. Just because it worked for someone else doesn't mean it will work for you, and this is true for all imaging programs.

15. fce

fce Registered Member

Agree!

To RBRx user, is it worth it to get annual maintenance "base on your actual experience with Horizon" ?

Thanks

16. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Hi Graham...
    Can you explain ,how you made an ISO disk?.Rollbacks recognition of cd/dvd rom drives seems dismal to me.It doesnt recognise my cdr drive either.Why is that?.Surely it should just hook into device manager and see what cd/dvd roms are installed?.Any way ,how exactly do you make the ISO manually?.Is it simply a matter of burning the recovery.iso thats located in the shield.drive image folder?.If it is then i im not sure what im doing wrong as when i boot from this disk ,a rollback screen comes up with a mouse arrow ,and absolutley nothing else.No snapshots or anything.Can you Explain how you did it?
    tia
    ellison

17. Peter2150

Unfortunately, these recovery environments have to have the proper drivers to work properly. That is up to the developer. But from other vendors experiences it is not an easy matter

18. pandlouk

Hi ellison,

You must select create recovery media -> Iso image file and point/select the folder where you want to create the iso.

19. pandlouk

20. fce

fce Registered Member

21. Peter2150

No laughing allowed, but actually I did.

22. fce

fce Registered Member

:D :ninja:

so what you think, is it worth it?

23. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just tried out the drive image option. It seems to work ok. Imaging was quick but the restore process was very slow, took 15-20 mins to restore a 1.2gig image file. Had to uninstall then reinstall rollback to get it working again. One strange thing was i had 3 snapshots when i made the image, i made the image using the 3rd snapshot, when i restored the image it restored the 2nd snapshot. I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour, i haven't got round to reading much of the documentation yet.

24. Peter2150

Yes, if for no other reason, there is no issue about updates/upgrades. We saw the value of 8.1 or 8.0

Pete

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

my serial does not work for this version, f****** b*******

its a serial for 8, and no way is 8.1 worth a new purchase, is the same software with bug fixes.

so us v.8 users dont get any bug fixes.

fantastic company! :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.