Roboscan ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

It's troubling that it seems to miss so much, considering it uses BD's engine. I almost have trouble recommending it. Yeah it does alright on VBulletin, but isn't that just on-demand detection?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's indeed weird. I've tried some sample and it was missed. Uploaded it to VT and BitDefender was detecting it there.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

It would be very detrimental to bitdefender if the roboscan engine performed EXACTLY the same.
    There has to be a slight variation to justify buying BD in the first place rather than using free products with their engine installed.
    I suppose zonealarm is the same analogy with using the kaspersky engine.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

No, for e.g. BullGuard and F-Secure pretty much detect everything BitDefender does. I'm not sure what the relation between ZA and Kaspersky is; but they ought to be very close to each other.

5. Brandonn2010

I feel kind of bad recommending a product that doesn't perform as well as the product it uses the engine of.

6. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

It's also buggy.. Crashes, BSODS, strange freezes. I quickly rolled back the snapshot I had it on.. Terrible!

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sorry you folks are having problems. It's AOK on the many PCs I've installed.

8. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

I have also installed it on several Pcs (that's old Pentium 4s, 512 MB Ram)
    and working smooth!! No problems!!

Don't mislead people. Nobody Likes Metro UI :cautious: ;)

9. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

That's a subjective view, made to look like a fact :D

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I wouldn't say that. While Roboscan would use a full fledged BitDefender engine, it probably doesn't have behavior analysis engine that BD also uses. And that would set them apart.

11. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

yes I know, and I don't use Metro Ui too, but normal user don't knows how to skip and use it even if don't lkes it.
    Robo needs some improvements in general and a 100% compatible version for 8

12. Is Roboscan worth the money then?

Just had this back from them;

There should be an update soon in 4-6 weeks As for the version without the firewall, let us confirm with our HQ and get back to you as soon as we have the answer Hope you enjoy the product!

I'm tempted to go for it at £7, if it uses the two engines.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  13. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

That was kind of the whole point. The BD engine was implemented to (what's the word? Um...) supplement their in-house Alyac engine.

14. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well bitdefender has just released a free version of their AV so you could perhaps match this with a free firewall.(comodo or online armor)etc and get excellent protection which does not cost a penny.:D

15. I bought Bitdefender whilst it was on offer at just over £5.

Claiming a refund. It totally killed IE, reset home page, couldn't change back etc.

I'll stick to something else. Might give roboscan a chance

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I have some reports of Roboscan's inconsistent behavior. Like On-Access scanner not detecting anything but context scan does. And i've seen similar weak performane from on-access though i haven't checked if context scan detects anything. Weird. Maybe one of those weird issues like i found one in the past with ArcaVir where heuristics didn't even function for realtime. But they did for all the other scans....

17. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I have tested & compared RS & BD quite a few times. The test was static & realtime. The test was signature protection only. And in all the test RS was quite behind to BD. I find their inhouse engine poor. In none of my tests their inhouse engine detected a single malware.

The difference in signature detection may be RS is using an older BD engine.

or I dont know what else to think.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Their engine is probably mostly focused on South Korean malware specifically. Or at least the asian region.

19. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

So I was checking Roboscan's FB page and decided to read some user reviews when suddenly
    FYI the reply was from Dec 28. Stay tuned guys :)

20. clocks

clocks Registered Member

The current installer on their website is almost a year old. It's a nice program, but development seems lacking.

21. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Have a look at the post above yours. There should be a new version released very soon.

22. DBone

DBone Registered Member

On Facebook they told me to expect a new release "in a couple weeks".............That was a couple of weeks before Halloween. I wouldn't hold your breath.

23. Brandonn2010

With the free BitDefender out, this program seems pointless, especially considering its less-than-stellar detection rates.

24. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Nah, with the auto-deleting-suspected-files feature of the new BitDefender FREE and its lack of advanced settings (excluding from scan, quarantine, you name it) I'd rather stick to Roboscan. At least for me the latter one never has a false positive.

Maybe the "threats" it missed out were something its Tera engine considers to be false positives.

25. anon

anon Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2180899&postcount=814

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.