Roboscan ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Re: ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic Free: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

Yes...

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Re: ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic Free: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

YikeeeeeeeeeeeeeS!

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm running both in real time, and they have been working together fine so far, no stabilitity issues, and so far I've not had any performance issues either. I am running Windows 7 (32 bit) with 2 gigs or RAM. Due to: A. having a very large number of programs installed (and having installed and later removed many programs since I installed Windows), meaning that my Windows is not running at its best, and B. not having more RAM installed - my laptop is prone to slow down quite noticably when having security software installed. But, so farit is still running quite smoothly with both installed.

Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 is designed to work with other antivirus software:
    I need to do more testing before I reach an opinion, but so far it is looking like I will reach the same opinion too.

I really do need to do some more testing on the performance side as soon as time permits. For example, it is quite common for antivirus software to cause a big hit in performace when using driver update software to check for updated drivers, or in some cases running registry cleaners. I will run scans with various driver update softwares, and registry cleaners and post here what I find.

4. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Do your homework.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

So KSAV says it'll run fine along with any AV. So are you saying I'm old & my learnings are outdated? :argh:

6. blasev

blasev Registered Member

yup I also love RIS, now after two months of usage, I'll stick with it.

fast update, fast scan time, low system usage, good result on VAB 100. :thumb:

about the combo
    Its good to hear that RIS and KSAV work together fine, but RIS alone should be enough for me :D

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Either one alone is probably enough, but they are both so light and work in different ways, I use them both. RIS is mostly signature (on HDD) based. KSAV is mostly cloud, with a light HIPs component.

8. blasev

blasev Registered Member

agree, they could complement each other

I use private firewall for the hips part

9. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

I've just found out that its firewall has some funny behaviour: upon detecting an attempt to download from new apps, instead of blocking it and display the prompt dialog, the firewall allows the download first then display the dialog.

10. roger_m

That's not good. I haven't tried out the firewall yet, but may do so tonight after I reinstall RoboScan, and I'll post my findings. I uninstalled Roboscan due to Windows explorer crashing, but as you can see from the following link I don't think it was the cause https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2087341#post2087341

I'm going to try the Pro version to have a look at the PC Optimization features. I'm guessing they're nothing special, and that the registry cleaner may want to remove valid registry entries - which they almost always do.

However it is only $11 for a years subscription :)

11. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

I'm thinking trying Win8 on my desktop pc ( yes I know I'm crazy:D ) but ... someone tried Roboscan with windows 8?
    Apparently based on website information is only 7 compatible
    Thanks

12. roger_m

I don't think you're crazy. There no harm in trying it, and if it doesn't work just uninstall it.

13. roger_m

I installed Roboscan Pro last night, and in all honesty the PC Optimization features are not worth upgrading for. The registry cleaner did not want to remove anything it shouldn't which is a plus.

However I'm probably going to upgrade to support the devlopers, since it's only $10, and Robscan is definately worth supporting.

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

:thumb: I was actually thinking of doing the same.

15. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Just purchased the Pro version...impressed so far... great layout easy to navigate...and the price is certainly right. Only problem from my experience was the actual download over fifteen minutes...and Internet Explorer's Smart Filters we're wary of the download file. I went too the website and had to download...not a problem...the update was seamless...and the Quick Scan should be renamed Warpspeed Scan. I didn't use the Registry Cleaner...or File Shredder. I'm intrigued by this app...and pleased at the Value and Price Ratio. Sincerely...Securon

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Maybe they need some North American mirrors or something. That initial file download, and first update are too long. Other than that, the program is fantastic.

17. roger_m

I downloaded the installer with a download mangaer, so didn't have the speed issue with the download, but it did take a long time to download the inital update. At first I thought the updated was not working, but I gave it a bit more time and I saw the progress bar slowly advancing.

Another issue I found both times I installed it is that the install takes a long time to finish - so long that the first time I installed Roboscan I thought the installer had crashed. It sits there for a long time with no visuals to indicate that it is doing anything, and also has very little cpu usage - which would indicated that its still working. However, after a few minutes the install does finish. This is a huge contrast to the new Kingsoft Antivirus which installs in a few seconds.

I would be interested to know if others have had the same problem.

And yes, the program is fantastic. I love that quick scans finish in a minute (and I'm sure they would be even quicker if my laptop wasn't so cluttered).

18. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

The download and update were faster for me whenever I installed it. Maybe it is the location..

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have to agree this is a AWESOME free av. only thing i would wish for is more settings and a bit more control over the firewall stuff.

20. clocks

clocks Registered Member

It is a Korean company, and you care in Korea, so that may be why its fast for you.

21. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I tried it and the update failed with P2P. Without P2P, it hung at about 30%.

I see earlier on that there were update problems.

Shame as a lot of you seem really excited by it.

Edit: Working now. I downloaded from CNET and didn't use a download manager.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  22. blasev

blasev Registered Member

sig update download are fast for me too

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  23. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

yes!!!
    Roboscan is working well on Windows 8 RP

First I disable Defender and his related service, after this
    I install Roboscan, updated it, able his Firewall (Roboscan automatically disable Win 8 FW) and I made a scan, some outgoing connection and Roboscan FW allert me, so is working 100%.

I love this AV:thumb:

24. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I had to try the other freebies.

Removed Roboscan, played, installed Roboscan again and got an error on download for emalware.341.

Not being able to properly update signatures is a no-go for me.

25. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I keep hearing bad things about detection. It should be on par with BitDefender if it uses its engine. Instead of hearing how many samples Roboscan missed in some test, I would like to hear how it compares to BitDefender with the same samples. If they detected the same amount, I would feel much more comfortable because then it would just be a bad sample instead of RS not performing as well as BD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.