Roboscan ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Re: ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic Free: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

Alyac's GUIs over the time:

Attached Files:

2. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Re: ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic Free: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

Downloaded, installed & tested.

Seems light, 3 processes, autoupdate, etc.

During install I read the changelog for this version & it mentioned update to the latest bitdefender sdk or something. I dont know what this means.

Waited for automatic update to update the database but it didn't started so did manual update which went fine.

Tested with 38 zeroday malware on realsystem XP SP2 execution test.

Detected 13/38.

I dont know Realtime has heuristics & archive scan or not coz there was no detail setting for realtime. But under scan options there was heur & monitor compressed file so I enabled both & tested but it detected the same 13 malware, not detected anything extra with rightclick scan too.

Looking at the detection I guess it uses old bitdefender engine & Inhouse seems not good.

3. khanyash

OK its using bitdefender engine 7.4.x.x..x.x

Whats the latest bitdefender engine version?

4. quanzi_1507

Looks latest to me :argh:

Attached Files:

5. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Speaking for the benefit of everyone here, let's please not start doing homegrown tests in this thread, which may get it locked.

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

alyac.com redirects to roboscan.com.

The green theme of their website reminds me slightly of another vendor's colour scheme.

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

If GData engine A is bitdefender I have to say that Roboscan's detection lags much behind that of Bitdefender's.

8. manar58

manar58 Registered Member

9. quanzi_1507

Most likely false positive, or so I think (my ESET NOD32 didn't detect anything).

Do us a favor and submit it over here:
    https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

10. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

11. xandros

xandros Registered Member

wow its free !!

12. gsarang

gsarang Registered Member

Heuristic Off, Firewall Off (defaults)
    -> Heuristic On (recommended!)

Attached Files:

13. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Looks great so far! No slowdowns or anything.

14. gsarang

gsarang Registered Member

Suggestion, Bug, False Positive, etc.
    -> Report :

Attached Files:

15. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Looks promissing...and how about usage of system resource...processes, autostart entries...maybe some screenshots?

16. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

See #35.

17. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Wanted to try but very slow dl from hxxp://www.roboscan.com/ around 40 kB/s ...Can't trust that speed

18. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Yes! Speed is slow.. But new product, new server. Quite expected.

19. khanyash

Does this violates the forum policy? Coz its not comparison test, yes its home grown but a simple test & result for effectiveness of the product.

If it violates the forum policy then apologies & will not post further.

20. khanyash

There seems to be a difference in detection of Robo & Bitdefender.

After my little execution test I uploaded the undetected malware by robo at VirusTotal & Bitdefender detected quite a lot. Someone here posted the engine version & signature database of both the products. In those screenshots robo seems to have little different & newer engine of bitdefender than bitdefender but the signature database numbers shows it is behind bitdefender. Little confusing for me. Can anyone explain?

Does by default Roboscan Firewall allows both incoming & outgoing connections?

21. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Was concerned not becouse the installer dl was slow but for speed of updates..I Was about to give up ,but tried dl again and got a decent dl speed.

Restored some images with drive snapshot & Installed and running on xp home PC and a windows7 laptop..so far so good.Really impressed actually..Updates ware dl and installed quickly
    Very Low system impact ,firewall worked great on both systems with utorrent highspeeds ul/dl . GUI is nice

Full scan on a 320 GB hdd took 20 minutes ,(during the Full scan the Realtime shield RSRTSrv.rse had some short peaks of 40-50 % CPU,but usually stayed at around 15 % )
    There is an ad window in sytem tray after update is completed ,posted a screen of it
    So far so good for usability ,hope to see some more detection test of it

Added a few screens: tray context menu,scan ,update notification ,resource usage,firewall rules,exclusions options

http://www.pixhost.org/show/1975/11549996_2012-02-29_141611.png

http://www.pixhost.org/show/1975/11549997_2012-02-29_141655.png

http://www.pixhost.org/show/1975/11549998_2012-02-29_141802.png

http://www.pixhost.org/show/1975/11549999_2-29-2012-2-26-56-pm.png

http://www.pixhost.org/show/1975/11550000_2-29-2012-2-29-14-pm.png

http://www.pixhost.org/show/1975/11550001_2012-02-29_134413.png

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  22. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@Naren: Is detection indeed lags much behind Bitdefender.

23. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic Free: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

I think you are not violating anything..!! As its a new product we have every right to present our finding there.

In fact there was a YT test on Alyac IS that also confirmed our findings.
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVdbLFjilvk-

24. khanyash

sg09,

Yes the detection lags much behind Bitdefender. May be I will email & request them the info about Bitdefender Engine.

I may do a zeroday malware test again & cross check with VT to check the difference between Robo & Bit. May be 50 zeroday malware, how many Robo missed & Bit detected & how many Robo detected & Bit missed as Robo has Inhouse engine too.

And yes I have watched that test, infact I requested him to do that test as there were no test I could find at YouTube on Alyac.

Can you tell me if by default Robo FW allows both incoming/outgoing connections?

Edit - Email Sent. Lets wait for the reply.

25. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

I am obviously just another user, so I didn't mean to sound authoritative, I just wanted to give you a head's up...

And yes, LowWaterMark has made it pretty clear that he does not want people posting homegrown tests at all here. The same goes for "YouTester" tests.

Of course, you can express your opinion in every way else about the software. You can express if it passed or failed the EICAR test. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with throwing malware samples at it just so you can report how it responds (e.g. does it prompt, auto block, etc.).

But as for homegrown efficacy tests, regardless if it is a comparison or not, are frowned upon.

I've made the mistake myself, too.

LowWaterMark's statement: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=297136

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.