roboform alternative

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by garry35, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

The only marketing I saw in this thread is the one you're making to CloudFogger, which definitely isn't a "roboform alternative".

Everything I said about LastPass is simply the reality of things, the truth.

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

LOL, guest,

I am having fun, aren't you?

Best regards my friend,

KOR!

P.S. I am finished having fun!

3. guest

guest Guest

I love to act like myth buster here.

4. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

What the hell is going on here...anyway...LastPass is a good alternative to Roboform, maybe not 100% the same though, I don't know...

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

This thread was weird. I'm feeling weak and need to lay down.

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I know that lastpass uses encryption etc ,but if the server (im not sure how the linkedin data was pinched?) was compromised such as in the linkedin article
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18338956
    would it be possible for hackers to unencrypt the data (the article mentions hackers invited to try and decrypt the data).Is lastpass immune to this sort of hacking?.Just to be clear im neither against or for lastpass ,but its things like that that makes me wary of cloud storage.Though to be fair paypal,banking sites all hold our confidential data too so i guess its the same difference.

7. roady

roady Registered Member

Lastpass and Keepass are wellknown password managers,but
    S10 Password Vault is also an interesting option,and if you have an Android based smartphone,it's even more fun.....:D

http://www.s10soft.com/passwordvault.htm

8. guest

guest Guest

Impossible, unless your password is of unsatisfactory complexity (example: 123456), in which case it could be discovered by brute force methods. Remember, the encryption and decryption is done locally, LastPass' servers only store the encrypted data and a login hash (useless to decrypt).

Read more:
    http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/introd...safe/#All sensitive data is encrypted locally
    http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/security-options/password-iterations-pbkdf2/

9. keysersozeuk

keysersozeuk Registered Member

LastPass Pocket, you can use it under the FREE account and it's offline although not as ideal obviously. Please also stop using the word "Cloud", it's just the internet. After the RoboForm v6->v7 situation, I wouldn't go back - especially with cross-platform support in mind.

10. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I am using Roboform - latest version with Chrome.

I am having some annoying procedural problems - I have contacted tech support - they haven't been able to fix it. When I click on the roboform icon to log into a website, I have to do it twice - I have to go back to the roboform icon and do it again. The first time I do it, nothing happens.

This is not a huge deal, but it is annoying on a daily basis. So I would like to consider some alternatives - unless of course someone can tell me how to fix it. I've contacted Roboform support - they have been responsive, but their fixes aren't working.

This thread is long and confusing. So please give me a recommendation based on the following -

* I absolutely do not want password information saved anywhere other than on my computer - no remote server or anything like that.
    * I don't care if there is an annual fee or a onetime fee (of course free is better:cautious: )
    * I need standard functionality - passwords for websites and ability to store password protected notes.

Thanks,
    Len

11. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I dont know how to fix roboform problem ,but recommend sticky passwords.Its what i migrated too after the roboform lifetime upgrades fiasco ,and havent looked back.It has the auto website logins/form filling,credit card filling etc as well as secure memos and is pc based rather than cloud.Im still using 5 although version 6 has recently been released.Theres a free trial so worth trying first.
    http://www.stickypassword.com/

12. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Sticky Password is one of the best out there. No doubt about it. I bought v2, long, long time ago, and never looked back. I am their beta tester, and they have given me free major updates every major release from v2 to v6.

Best regards,

13. LenC

LenC Registered Member

The documentation for Sticky Password says it can import passwords from another password manager. I find it hard to believe such a blanket statement - that they can import from any and all managers.

Doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

14. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

I generally use keepass, but I just found this one: https://identitysafe.norton.com/
    Has anyone else tried it? It is cloud based and free for life as long as you download it before October 1 2012.

I cannot recommend this one. I installed it and it seemed to work well for 12 hours or so, then I started having a software conflict problem that caused my webpages to not load properly. I uninstalled it and the problems continued, so I ended up restoring from an image and discarded it completely. I plan to stick with Keepass.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  15. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I used Norton Identity Safe several years ago - it was part of the Norton Internet Security Package. At that time (2008 or so), I did some research and decided that Roboform had more features than Identity Safe. So I turned off Identity Safe and started using Roboform. I subsequently got rid of Norton Internet Security altogether - but that's another story.

I didn't realize that Identity Safe is available from Norton on a standalone basis - that's interesting. I assume Norton has upgraded capabilities of Identity Safe over the years, but I'll stick with Roboform. By the way, their tech support has been very responsive and helpful - I think things will work out. (With the exception of this current issue, I have always been 100% pleased with Roboform.)

16. ASM

ASM Registered Member

It's worth trying... Yes, you can import from RF, (if memory serve me right) it's is base on how you export your password in text base.

17. LenC

LenC Registered Member

ASM -

Thanks. I think I've ironed out my problems with Roboform - so I'll stick with it. I've been really pleased with it over the years. This is the first time I've had a problem - it was fixed with a reinstall. Part of the issue was a user error :oops: .

I will say their tech support was incredible. I posted an issue at 11:30 last night hoping to get a response today - I got a response at 11:45pm and wound up swapping emails until it was fixed by about 12:30 this morning.

We all read a lot of tech support horror stories, but I have to give kudos to Siber Systems for theirs.

Len

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  18. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

My favorite password manager is Sticky Password Pro. However i had to change to Roboform because Sticky Password has no android version. Sticky Password dev said they will release their app this year. I hope they do...

I don't like LastPass but it's a nice software if u like it.

19. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Does Sticky Password have any feature that Roboform does not have?

20. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I would say Roboform has plus features that i don't need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.