ROBBED!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by DVD+R, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Hey all I'm still alive,but havent been here for some time. This is because of some unfavourable person breaking into my home,and stealing quite alot of stuff, Including my 3 computers:( Over $6000 worth :mad: I personally will remove this persons legs if I ever catch up with them, but in the meanwhie, I'm here at my local Library typing this. Luckily my Insureance came through last week, and i should be back with 7 to 10 days:D See you all soon.

DVD+R :cautious:

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Very sorry to hear about the extreme misfortune. At least it was only material possessions lost and no apparent harm to life or limb.
    You are to kind in your plans if the :ninja: had been caught. Here in the U.S. all of my Friends and many acquaintances have a far more "permanent lasting" plan :eek: for the :ninja: were they to be caught in the act. ;)

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Sad to hear that, but glad to hear only material goods where lost!
    I hope your ensurance company covers most of the lost.
    Did you lost any critical data on those PC's?
    ~~~
    If someone ever breaks into my house, I have one of those "permanent solutions" waiting :D

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm sorry about your losses DVD+R, but very happy it didn't include you or your family. Used to, break-ins occurred when no one was home, and, if someone was, 9 times out of 10 nobody was harmed if they stayed out of the way and kept quiet. Now, hell they storm houses in broad daylight and kill people and even animals "just because" (never understood animals, last I checked they didn't use cell phones and were pretty unreliable witnesses).

I too have a permanent solution (a few actually) to that temporary problem, and that's if they make it inside without the houses in close vicinity lighting up and neighbors rushing outside because of all the noise and light of the security ;) (My neighbors actually called the police on me once for disturbing the peace after two of the local cats stepped inside the perimeter on the same night)

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I also am very sorry to here this and I know how you feel because it happened to my wife and I when we first purchased a Home.The scum stole expensive photography equiptment.Since then I took more caution such as a Home security system with security signs on my lawn and decals In the windows, On top of a well trained Doberman pincher*puppy* No longer with us:'( This was recommended by police detectives.I am also currently now a licensed firearms permit holder of pistol/revolver for the last 24 yrs not recommended by police. suggestion I would make even if you do not go to extremes like I did,I would at least try to get some security warning decals and or yard signs.even If you do not have a alarm system it is a great deterent.Ps I also am a licensed tech for Home and commercial security systems.So any thoughts of a security system questions feel free to ask.Regards dave

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  6. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Hope you did not get stiffed by your insurance company (current value only [often found only in the small print]).

It seems like we have come across a computer security problem that is awaiting all of us.

Here where I live even security systems do not deter the lightning quick "crash, grab and dash" type of thieves.

By time the police arrive they are gone!

7. Dark Shadow

while this is generally true at the same time not to keep equiptment by say a first floor window make it harder for them or slow them down a little and with some loud sirens going off In doors and outdoors it makes things more pressured for the thief.In hope there not able to get as much. In a vast majority of Home owners that I have installed a Home security is because they had breakins thats why I was there in the first place and the other majority is was prevention.Most commercial buisiness a vast majority is prevention and the other majority is because of breakins of course this does not include fire prevention.Same senario can be taken on are pc security for prevention and maybe some intrusion here and there.prevention is always better then the cure.Here is a perfect example, one very nice lady I met through work had been broke in three times the first two every thing cleaned out.The last breakin attempt nothing do to the alarm,they fled with nothing.She has not had a intrusion since.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  8. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

First, I'm sorry to hear about that. I had that happen once and it took me a while to feel completely comfortable in my house again. I was talking about my incident with a few detectives and they stated that they have seen houses with state of the art security burgled, but never one with a medium to large dog inside.

9. Dark Shadow

german sheperds ,rottis,dobermans,Work great if that can not be lured by a big juicy steak.:D

10. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Must be a very nasty experience.. Your home is "yours" and "safe". And the idea of someone being in your safe place.. Hmm :(.

11. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

It's true that many law abiding U.S. citizens utilize their 2nd Amendment rights for self protection and have Smith & Wesson as a deterrent and security backup just in case. It's one extra thing that criminals and thieves here have to worry about before deciding to break into someone's home.

Although it is sad to hear the news that your property has been taken it's good to know that you are safe and things are going to be ok. We hope you are able get back up to full speed soon.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  12. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I wish the UK had some sort of 2nd amendment.Unfortunately in the UK the lunatics have truly taken over the asylum ,and usually the thief ,mugger or murderers so called "human rights" is put before the victim.Cases of thieves being caught by a police dog and then successfully suing the police for the dog bite is all too common.There has even been cases of burglars suing their victims if they've been caught in the act and manhandled in any way.
    ellison

13. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

In Canada we have nothing similar to 2nd amendment either but i keep a louisville slugger by the door and wouldn't hesitate one bit to put it upside someone's head in any attempted home invasion. I've done it once and would not think twice about doing it again.

Thankfully no bodily harm came to the OP. :)

snowbound

14. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

What topic regarding "security" is more obvious and direct than personal security? Many here in the U.S. learned during the Katrina hurricane disaster and other tragic events that the authorities lost control in the chaos and the law abiding citizens were forced to fend for themselves. Unfortunately the nutty local authorities proceeded to disarm the law abiding citizens while completely disregarding their rights stated in the 2nd Amendment. This happened while the criminals, thieves, looters, rapists, etc. roamed free to terrorized those law abiding citizens who were simply trying to protect their property and lives. The lesson is that no democratic based society including the U.S. is entirely safe from either the government, authorities or the criminals from taking away your rights as law abiding citizens.

To put it into perspective relating to computer security... Imagine if "authorities", massive influential companies or governments decided that too many hackers were using the internet to scam users and commit crimes....Does this sound familiar? So then in the name of "security for the good of all internet users" they put all these restrictions and laws against everyone who uses a computer including the law abiding internet users. All security hardware and software has to be accessible with back door keys, etc....or worse they ban routers, firewalls, privacy software or any computer internet security tool that restricts access to your computer and the information contained on it. They could claim that "they" would keep you safe by monitoring and screening the internet themselves. These same authorities could use these security excuses to access non-security related private information about masses of internet users without their knowledge or consent. Hmmm... it sounds kind of scary doesn't it? Actually for all we know all these possibilities could already be happening without us knowing it....and to some degree you can be sure that these things are already happening... but that is a topic for another thread...
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=214340

This is why understanding all forms of privacy and security (computer, internet and personal security) are critical not only for maintaining the privacy of information on your computer but to maintain what freedom and personal privacy there is in this modern high tech world.

Getting back to the main security topic...Thankfully DVD+R is ok and hopefully will be back at full internet speed ASAP.

15. ThunderZ

All to common an occurrence. A life long Friend was involved in a self-defense shooting during an attempted burglary of his home. He was cleared of any legal charges but lived in fear for quit some time of possible civil charges being brought on by the victim? or his family. Fortunately none ever came. Since then Ohio has passed a law similar to other States that states if you are involved in a self\home defense shooting and acquitted of any criminal charges then you can not be held libel for any civil charges\suites. :thumb:

16. Dark Shadow

There also Is a fine line what is considered self Defense example in the CT if a intruder is in your home while your Home and your able to retrieve your weapon in Time,It is not justified to just shoot him/Her. Only and only Is if your life Is in a threat at the Time.Another words if the intruder is running for the exits this is not a justified shoot and one will likely face criminal charges and be sued by next of kin and so forth.The problem here home owners having guns is some actualy may be killed with there own guns.One rule From My NRA instructor was never ever pull a firearm on anyone If you are not able or ready to use it.For my self would not want to take some ones life but would not hesitate either if My Family was In Danger.In My state the law has changed. For a Home owner or any one to purchase a pistol/revolver one must obtain a pistol permitt.I agree with this change it forces folks for mandatory hours of safety instruction to obatain just a certificate to give to the local police to apply for the permitt and its not cheap either.I Had my permitt for twenty four yrs and never had any miss haps or never pulled the firearm on any one.Thank god.With that better to have a gun and not need it then need it and not have it.

Dave.

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That is a VERY common thing in the U.S (of course suing for ANY reason at all is common here). I too was involved in a self-defense shooting back in 2004. I am disabled by birth, and therefore not the best candidate to "try to escape before using lethal force) as required by most states. ( I don't care what you say, you're not outrunning a bullet, disabled or not). So, the guy, after tossing me out of the chair and putting the gun to my head because "I saw his face", cocked back his .38 snubbie and I pulled the trigger on my .45 Glock through my jacket pocket, and my bullet got there first ;) He got tossed in a 6ft deep hole and nearly got a suit filed on me by his parents (17 year old jackass).

18. ThunderZ

@ djohn. Agreed on the fine line. You will find yourself in deep doo-doo if it is proven you have shot a retreating intruder. I have no desire to take an others life either.....but will not hesitate in defense of Loved ones or self.

I have found much depends on the particular law enforcement agency one is dealing with. Local\Staties\Sheriffs. For the last several years the Mrs and I have lived in fairly rural areas covered primarily by the Sheriffs Dept. On the occasions I have had dealings with them, they, to a Man, like and agree with the fairly new CCW law and actually do not mind Legal gun owners having the right to carry a weapon. Two other things I have been told by more then one. If you shoot, shoot to kill. When questioned, simply state you were "in fear for your life".

Extremely sad it has come to this. That the OP had to experience such an event. But the state of affairs here in the U.S. and else where lead me to believe that the trend will only increase.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I agree with permits too, NOBODY should be able to carry without some sort of license. I also believe in mandatory training of at LEAST 4 weeks before you are ever allowed to take that weapon home with you. However that type of requirement is not yet implemented. This would also cut down on the accidental discharges and other such nonsense (yes, I called it nonsense, in the history of guns, NONE have ever loaded themselves and pulled their own triggers) that gun opponents use to try to get guns outlawed. I love those people, they conveniently leave out the fact that criminals don't abide by laws and will still have guns if they well please. You want anarchy? Quickest way to do that is take away an individuals right to protect themselves.

20. ThunderZ

You did what you had to do. Just glad the Good Guy won this time. :thumb:

21. Dark Shadow

Ah glock I have two G19 9mm and G36 45 over 2000 rounds through not one jam.Many others in my collection:D

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

*cheers for the G36* I carry dual G36's, I leave the Desert Eagle at the house to keep my other pieces company ;)

23. Dark Shadow

I agree very sad indeed and a heart felf sorry for the OP.Glad the OP/family is here to talk about it.Things like this make a person feel violated and unsafe when we should be safe In are safe heaven our homes.Another reason for my wife and I and kids looking this week for another puppy Dog.I want a German shepard she wants little dogie,I think the boss might win.:(

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Never, ever, underestimate the little dogs :D They may not look ferocious to a burglar, but the noise they can make can have a burglar hightailing it out of there. Not to mention the little ones have a habit of not letting go once those little jaws are locked in place, hehe.

25. Dark Shadow

Yes you are correct but for example if i was a intruder looking in the window seeing a chihuahau, I know just a kick would send pouch for a field goal its gooooood:D but a big german shepard, I would think twice about it do to strength,and big Teeth.Speaking of jaws I can not remember exactly but sister Inlaw works at the animal vet and she once told me that a pitbull bit has 600 or 6000 PSI of Jaw pressure ouch scream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.