roaches on my screen

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jalea148, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jalea148

jalea148 Registered Member

have done deep scan with latest update; also used Windows Live OneCare and others. These removed[?] the worm that generates "Warning! Spyware detected on your computer". I'm left with 2 problems:
    when the machine is idle, roaches start crawling on the screen
    when I search for some download software, a screen pops up saying my pc is infected and wants me to download some antiviral software [I've read this is bad malware]

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi!

You are infected with some adware variant. Perform scan with ESET SysInspector and send log to support[at]eset.com.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Attached Files:

4. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Does the roaches go away when the mouse is moved?

Have you checked to see if a new screen saver is active?

5. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

That does sound like either a screen saver or some kind of fancy Active Desktop in XP. Either of those should be changeable from the Display Settings applet in control panel.

6. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Could be SpyShredder malware
    There are a lot of others too.
    Follow Lukas K.

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

My friend just brought me her laptop with the same problem.

The screenshot above shows what it looks like. Part of it is a wallpaper that is changed upon installation, so check to see if it has been changed. The message telling you to get an antivirus is part of the wallpaper. This itself is not harmful.

Another portion of it is a program call WinFixer. I ran the Eset online scanner and it cleaned it up. It has an .exe called AXPFixer.exe

Also, delete all files in the Temp folders.

8. jalea148

jalea148 Registered Member

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES.

I'll try to answer all replies. After the Eset scan didn't find the problem [the bugs reappeared during the scan], SysInspector.exe was downloaded and run. I was able to identify 3 problem files: blackster.scr, BLACKSTER.SCR-2BEB033F.pf, BLACKS~1.SCR-0AE854CA.pf which were then removed from the Windows directory. In the registry, SCRNSAVE.EXE was also pointing to BLACKSTER. This was fixed using Control panel/display/screen saver.

Some postings refer to this adware as BLACKSTER - there are other names [or causes]. When the mouse moves the bugs go away. Originally, I was getting the screen shot - that was a wallpaper problem that was fixed [I don't remember how [age-disadvanteged]]. Hopefully, these symptoms will not reappear.

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you run into a suspicious file discovered yourself or using SysInspector, please always send it to samples[at]eset.com for perusal first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.