RNotificatonService.Pollerwnd??

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by SecurityFan, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SecurityFan

SecurityFan Registered Member

Hi,

Does anyone know what this is? All-of-a-sudden, starting 2 days ago, whenever I attempt to turn off my PC after it's been running a while, I get a message saying RNotificationService.Pollerwnd is still running and do I want to end it.

This never happened before. My PC always shut down immediately after I clicked the shutdown button. I haven’t updated anything on the PC for months. There is no reason for it to start behaving differently. When I go into Windows Task Manager I don’t see anything running under “Processes” or under “Applications”.

Could this indicate I have something running – like a trojan – on my PC that I don’t know about? My suspicion is that RNotificatonService.Pollerwnd is some valid Windows thing that is left hanging, or keeps running, because of something new on my PC.

I had something funny happen recently when I got a message in Internet Explorer that said something like the “web page certificate didn’t match the owner’s name but that it was valid”. This happened when I clicked thru some discount site to buy something on Amazon. Maybe this could mean I was on a bad page that gave me malware? I'm sorry to say that web certificates and the concepts around them are mumbo jumbo to me.

By way of background, I have XP Service Pack 1, Internet Explorer 6.0, Norton Internet Security 2004 (a firewall and anti-virus), and I use Verizon DSL.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. SecurityFan

SecurityFan Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks!

I downloaded both and ran full scans. I ran the Malwarebytes product first. It found an adware called Starware. I used the Malwares product to remove it. When I ran the SUPERantispyware it didn't find anything but tracking cookies.

So far, after some quick sessions on my PC, the problem hasn't recurred when I go to shut down. I'll have to see if this holds up with my normal long sessions on the PC.

I haven't been following anti-malware products in the past year or two. Back when I was more aware of things, I would do free scans using Pandasoft (or it had some name like that). Both of these products are new to me and seem pretty good. Are they widely used? Are they used as supplements to the big anti-virus/anti-trojan/anti-spyware suites that I think rule the market now?

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

These 2 are the big gorillas in the room these days and you'll find lots of ongoing info on them here at Wilders if you do a search. They are both updated daily and now that your PC seems clean, do a weekly scan after updating them. Glad to hear that MBAM took care of a problem for now. Post back if it returns. Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.