RMA Harddisk wiping

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by MUmoto, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Next time, remember to use TrueCrypt.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Paranoia is one thing, but I would place your finances before that. Especially since there is absolutely no practical proof that your overwritten data will be recovered. Not to mention the disk is failing.

3. MUmoto

MUmoto Registered Member

Haven't tried it; did you have positive findings after using it?

4. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I've only ever used it for maintenance, but I've heard and read many stories of it resurrecting HDDs.

5. zero_Phil

zero_Phil Registered Member

@ x942 - As you have re-created my same test and found no trace of previous surfing history using X-Ways then maybe I did do something wrong. I may try again if I can find some spare time, thanks for your input.

6. x942

x942 Guest

Yes. BUT that article shows just how much is left behind in windows even after wiping free space or files. Unless you wipe the entire HDD it is fairly useless. Albeit their are other reasons to wipe free space that this article doesn't apply to.

Please post back your results. I may very well have done something differently to.

7. MUmoto

MUmoto Registered Member

Are there any risks to full HDD encryption? I don't want increased security cause increased data loss.

8. x942

x942 Guest

As long as you don't forget your password. If you forget your password (and it is more than 14 chars and reasonably strong) there is NO WAY to recover your data. However you can always store it in an encrypted database using keypass until you remember it. Also if you are using truecrypt create a recovery disk. You will still need a password to do anything but it will save you if the MBR or header becomes corrupt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.