RKU Evil?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LoneWolf, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Theres been an ongoing rift between that UnhookMe author and developer of RKUnhooker so theres plenty of negative mudslinging to be expected and why it's originating in that manner.

Besides, that is really OLD news and is been there a very long time now. I think they both ceased warring with words for the time being. And besides, RKUnhooker is under different managements too FYI.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  3. Heimer

Heimer Registered Member

This is not good, a security software vendor organising/encouraging (on their own website!) a DDOS attack/defacement hack.... :(

And they are creating rootkit also?

How can RKU still be supported as a legitimate product by security websites if this is true?

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Evil? I hear NO evil, and see NO evil. As long as you do not walk nearby them(which I do), you are perfectly safe indeed. Just let them fight off(like two vicious dogs fight for their lives), whoever comes out as a whole piece, I put a LEASH on it, and it becomes my LAPDOG. Period. :p

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It's either true that they DDOS sites or not. That screenshot is true or not.
    All conclusions stem from that. And from the method to DDOS a site (it takes more than one computer right?..)

6. LoneWolf

OK thats fine they have an ongoing "rift".but is that any way a security company should act. Wait I'll answer that,NO.

OK old news,first I heard of it. RKU has new management,does that mean that it was true with the old manangement? Just tring to make sence of this.
    If they are just making things up then I will support neither, for that is no way for a security company to act. But if there is some truth to this then I would stay far away from the true bad one here. Will do some more searching on this myself because I just gotta know.

7. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Not a security company persay but then again the last time i checked they were not a company but a group of software engineers/talented individuals that had made publically available their ARK forensic tool at no charge for some time now:D

Wheres the problem in them having opinions,as long as the tool is free and the most advanced in its class i have no quarms in using it:)

8. LoneWolf

OK not a company but a group of people and it's free. Great. But even at free if there's something wrong going on there I would just be very careful about trusting any of them. don't mean to start a debate or argument about this just looking for answers and so far no one has said if it is true or not.

And if it's free and it is,why bad mouth your competition,because you really don't have any.

9. Heimer

Heimer Registered Member

You trust a tool from people who discuss CREATING the very rootkits they remove ? And ddos people? If this is true this is criminal minds at work...

As pedro said if screenshot true and RKU authors do have the ability to ddos (takes more than one computer) how deeply involved are they in the cyber underworldo_O

10. fcukdat

Heimer don't mistake what i am saying but the bottom line is it dose'nt take a genius to herd a botnet or launch a DDos.Virtually most computer geeks/software engineers will pocess the relevent knowledge and ability if they were so inclined;)

As far as *trust* and potential perversion of security tools(backdoor) then again any security tool/software could potentially contain backdoor(s) inserted by the author(s).How do you know differently for definite ?

So who do we trust at the end of the day M$....Norton....Mcaffee.... Dmitry Sokolov ?

The ironry of all this being is that DS has the ability to reverse RKU code and expose the alledged backdoor that he suggests might be there but he refrains from this.I ask myself *why* is this and the logical answer is because it dose not exist.

If Evl PH wants to write new rootkits that only his tool detcts then that is his lookout and at the end of the day shows why most of the other ARK tools are somewhat short coming in this area.

FYI I deal with facts and data in front of me and todate i have not found any malware using Unreal rootkit technology or aware of any reported incidents todate where this is the case.

In a universe of infinite possibilities this could change but ultimetly there are some that believe the big AV's are behind virus writing to fuel the industry market position.How can anyone prove otherwiseo_O

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

That´s the problem with these tools, you don´t really know if you can trust them or not. I decided to install RKU since according to many people it was an excellent tool. And so far it does seem to be clean, I didn´t notice any strange behavior on my system. I do think they are involved in the "underworld", but that doesn´t have to mean that they are the bad guys per se. But they sure don´t act like a professional company, if I´m correct they also had some kind of beef with the maker of GMER.

12. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

This is true, especially related to the great mass unhooking capabilites.

Heimer stay calm, RkU is better then those cheap official ARs. Underground tools always better, because they are not bounded to a public image, they can do what they want and they love to that, that´s the reason because such cool tools come out for free.

F-dat: I see it similar, Windows itself is a big big rootkit. Check cmd.exe and explorer.exe, check directories and you have the first native rootkit.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Voicing opinions, even very pointed ones, is fine. Going beyond that starts to enter different territory.

By this logic, any OS is a rootkit. A sublime statement is fine, but this is absolutely ridiculous as stated.

Blue

14. controler

controler Guest

Someone once told me the same rootkit technology that was on Sony's DRM
    CD's is not incorporated right into Vista. I don't know if that is true or not since I only tried out the Beta for a short while just to look at the firewall.

I think the bad feelings between Gmer & the RKU people was they thought Gmer @ one point stole their code. I am not sure the beef with Demitry is other then I think the RKU people called him a poor coder and was making quap.

I do know if anyone could or wanted to include a back door for national security reasons, it could be any one of the OS makers. I also think the RKU people could if they wanted to and not many other AR products would even notice a thing.

I can say from the few exchanged thoughts I had with EP_XOFF , they were professional and not rantings and ravings.
    The RKU people kind of remind me of Cassious Clay ( Mohammad Allie) in a way. At first I detested him. I thought all he had was a big mouth until I realized what he said , he backed up in the ring and wasn't just all talk.:D

15. Heimer

Heimer Registered Member

So you are saying RKU is 'underground' tool? If so why is it still used by official security/malware removal websites ? Especially when they discuss/organise criminal activity on their website that goes against the very core purpose of most security website

Are you here talking about ddos'ing and creating rootkit ?

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I remembered when I had problem using RKU--causing BSOD, the author advised me to remove all security applications and awaiting naked body search. Is this a common practice of any antirootkits app? or just his? Only in police state, IMO, security forces have such a privilege. Just wonder.

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

No one twists any arms to make a user take a chance on their handicrafts. If you're the least bit in doubt and don't trust something then don't do it and save yourself that frustration.

As far as ethics, i leave those up to the warring parties to hash out and not always depend solely on majority public opinions. I'm of the mind of trying it myself and drawing my own conclusions whether a security tool (ie:ARK) is reliable, not in spite of the author's ethics, but based on the reliability of whether or not the program can do the job up to it's claims.

RKUnhooker for me is been nothing short of legendary & historical and AFAIK couldn't have come along at a better time when it did.

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Actually, this is a very rational and standard diagnostic approach - a simple challenge/response protocol.

Blue

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, I know, but I probably need a 100% confidence in this app before allowing an intimate search as this, and unfortunately, it is often a step too far for me.

20. Heimer

Heimer Registered Member

You can't have 100% confidence in any app, but I feel a lot safer using one where the author doesn't discuss organise ddos, website vandalism, and creation of new rootkit on his own site...

There are moral standards as well, if this true then why support products by those who engage in criminal activity ?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

That's a pretty strong open public indictment to bring out in that manner which on the surface anyway seems based on just some temper ridden posts that are only heated rhetoric than any real substance.

Is there any authentic proof you might wish to share to back up such a pointed accusation as "criminal activity" other than just simple perceptions based on references made to Ddos and whatever else was typed out during an open forum dispute between parties?

Such as was the site in question taken down shortly after those heated exchanges or can you offer more insight that might point to this "criminal activity"?

Interesting after all this time that this is come up now. Hmmmm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  22. Heimer

Heimer Registered Member

Please read my post again, I said "if this true".

The link in first post shows rku developer asking for 'help' in ddos'ing/defacing website. Is ddosing/defacing not illegal ?

If the screenshots linked by OP in first post are true then it does not look good, arguing semantics is pointless excuse...

23. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Yes, but first it has to be proven, and it's all hearsay up to this point.
    Could be if comments made were true, it was meant as a publicity stunt and nothing more (perceived threat of attack) as an attempt to publicly undermine credibility.
    Who really knows who to believe without proof.
    The most successful attacks/exploits are done invisibly.
    DDoS is like a bull in a china shop.

24. fcukdat

Please prove this point with solid evidence(or at least learn about what you are innaccurately posting).Your statement is ****:thumbd:

I will give you a little pointer in the fact rootkit technology is not malware as if this was the case then a hell of a lot of security software would be classified as malware because they utilize this technology in their operations;)

FYI rootkit technology is not malware but some advanced trojans utilize rootkit technology to evade detection.As previously stated there have been no reported incidents of Unreal RK(s) being used by malware todate.

So if you don't mind please prove otherwise or stop posting your baseless FUD:shifty:

25. Heimer

Heimer Registered Member

Sorry for misinterpretation, by site I mean forum, and discussion of creating new rootkit.

Thank you for the information.

What is baseless. o_O I only say that if the screenshot in original link is accurate, then the author of RKunhooker was trying to organise/encourage a ddos/defacement against a site, by his own words. And, again if, true, the author of rkunhooker was planning to create rootkit, by his own words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.