Rising AV - free edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pykko, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Nice as it might be, 151MB in my ADD/Remove applet flagged my conscience to pull that hog out within 15 minutes. Theres simply no execuse IMO in BLOATING any security app including an AV no matter if you have a 500Gb HD.

Modular and miniature is the wave of the future, not a cascade of innumerous files and such just to do what much more lighter apps are capable of with far less tapping into resources or bulking up the meat on the hard drive.

I pulled RISING right out in spite of it's so-called HIPS, thats overdoing it like Norton's in my book.

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Have you tested it? After a scan it keeps a hash of all the files scanned, when the hash is not changed, it skips the on execution scan, making it the fastest AV ever. It also skips files which are protected by NTFS and XP/Vista, so it even saves on the hash check also. Together with GW or DW you can set up an iron tough defense (policy HIPS focussing of threat gates aps, Rising's HIPS on the OS-core, other applications in the mixed zone covered by active intrusion heuristics and intelligent AV check (with on execution Virtualisation like Norman).

This an innovative HIPS/AV and its FREE

My dear Easter, although I reward your contributions a lot, it is humoreous to hear you say: overdoing (have a look at your security sig with double and triple aps for the same SDDT hooks and overlapping defense mechanismes)

:D :D :D

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Easter you are totally wrong about this one. The size of Rizing Antivirus is 151 MB because:
    It has included the 75mb of files necessery for windows 98x, windows 2000/XP/Vista and windows 2003/SP/Vista 64 and another 75mb of their backups (in case you want to repack a new version or reinstall/fix the installation).

Conclusion: The files needed for operating correctly probably do not exceed the size of 30-40mb. This on my vocabulary is the exact opposite of bloating. ;)

Panagiotis

4. Arup

Arup Guest

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi Easter, i think you are being a bit harsh.
    just because it uses quite alot of hard drive space doesnt mean its bloated.
    did it acually slow your computer down? noticeably?

6. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Is this hash feature part of it's AV or HIPS?

Thanks

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Installed, updated, running nice and light.......this one is a keeper for me so far. Among its nifty features it has the ability to block other connections during update to prevent any infection during the update period when the machine is vulnerable briefly.

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Hello Easter, good to see you stand up for disk space.
    At first I was excited to respond with the size of DriveSentry 3.1 -> 1.09 MB on disk according to "Add/Remove".
    But then I decided to check the data... 202 MB, which contains virus signatures and also hashes of every file on my system.

So, I had to rethink my response: Are you sure that the hog that you removed was not mostly data?

I would like to see that Rising removes any file that is not required for my Windows release. And so far I can't install a repackaged build, because the registration key is excluded. (And I use the free AV, that doesn't require a key).

9. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

There are 2 files that are related with the license. If I remember correctly they are .ini files.

But i do not remember their names. Anyway for finding out do the following.

1. Download and install Rising AV.
    2. Without updating anything perform a repack.
    3. Extract the files of the original sfx and the repacked one in 2 seperate folders.
    4. Perform a checksum verification from the original folder to the repacked folder. You should see one file that is missing and a second with different hash. Those contain the free license. :D :D :D

Panagiotis

10. wilbertnl

Thank you, Panagiotis

I got it working.

The files RAVIN_IS08_292_1.cfg and BackUp.cfg are significant different in the downloaded and created packages.
    RAVIN_IS08_292_1.cfg is missing in the repackaged latest installer while BackUp.cfg is added.

In order use the latest installer with success, I had to extract Rav20.xx.xx.exe into a separate folder and reverse the difference.
    When running setup.exe from that folder it installs just like the RAVfree.exe. And I verified that no updates were needed. :thumb:

(If the moderator considers this a illegal hack, please let me know, so I can revise the information.
    The latest installer package is created by the free software itself.
    The same status would be accomplished by installing the downloaded free release and updating it online.)

rav-latest.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  11. Arup

Arup Guest

The problem is that the update process itself executes under LUA with limited rights, it unzips itself in your Documents and Settings LUA folder and then tries to wtire to your program files which is not allowed under LUA.

12. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

One of my pc's is protected with Symantec Endpoint (this is the what we have at work and its required to connect to corpnet). On my laptop I'm trying out Rising after finding out about it from here.

The other day I copied an exe (which it turns out was packed) from my laptop to the pc. It was part of some shareware download program, I forget which. The copy went fine, but on the pc SEP had popped up a warning and then cleaned the file.

The malware it found was this - http://securityresponse.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-111201-3853-99

Now I don't know if this is not a serious threat, but it troubles me that Rising did not find it.

Edit - more details from symantec - http://securityresponse.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-111201-3853-99&tabid=2

The Trojan also may end the following processes:

* RavMon.exe
    * Ravmond.EXE
    * IPARMOR.EXE
    * adam.exe
    * EGHOST.EXE
    * MAILMON.EXE
    * KAVPFW.EXE
    * FilMsg.exe
    * Twister.exe

So it looks like it specifically targets Rising (as well as Kaspersky), yet Rising did not find it? This is very surprising.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  13. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

It may be because of your RAV configuration. In order for Rising to scan files written to disk, Smart Monitor must be enabled as well as its options. Adjusting File Monitor scan settings as well (scan of compressed files, self-extracting files etc) will improve the scope of scanning with some bit of added resource needs.

Did the malware execute?

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Anyone got the Rising update working under LUA yet?

15. wilbertnl

I have no issues with RAV updates while running LUA on Windows XP3. No user action needed.

16. Arup

Arup Guest

Any settings you had to do to get around it?

17. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

I'm having problems with the "Security Audit" Tab.

It keeps telling me I have "Low Security", and the detailed report states that Virus Definitions and Scan all Drives need attention. Even AFTER I update RAV definitions and scan, the status remains "LOW". Rebooting the system doesn't change this.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Rising AV Ver. 20.52.52
    Win XP Pro - SP3
    Comodo3 FW and D+

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

mine did that also until I rebooted a couple of times and then it showed correctly

19. nasdaqms

nasdaqms Registered Member

the scan engine is not good enough,so did the monitor function.

how did it protect our pcs by this?blue screen and the slow speed of the system runtime.!

but it has a good thing that is the scan engine is designed by themselves!

how did the chinese av software protect international security by its localizational thoughts.?by its proactive defense?iam not trust with this!cause i can easily destroy the system by change the eigen value to detour the monitor!

a long way to go!

20. Arup

Arup Guest

If you look at their client list, some pretty big names there like BOSCH Germany, Lotte and Sanyo Japan, of course, 40 million users can't be stupid enough to use this as well and neither are we.

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I would have to disagree that it is a bad av. Actually I believe it is pretty good. But I am not going to continue to use it though as I have several subscriptions to other av's still active and I might as well get something for the money I spent for them.

22. wilbertnl

It would be interesting to find out if the threat would be able to execute and install itself under RAV.
    It's also possible that this SEP popup is a false positive.

23. wilbertnl

Not at all.

24. wilbertnl

Sometimes I notice the same, sometimes it looks ok (High Security). I don't recognize a patern.
    I don't worry too much about it.

25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Bloat o_O o_O I must ask how much space does a fresh Windows Install take up.. or how much space for a Microsoft office program or even how much space for any normal program. sorry but 151 megs. is pointless to get in a huffy over it. even on my 2 gig HD laptop that aint much space. :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.