Rising AV - free edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pykko, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidross

davidross Registered Member

hi Blue,

I agree with you ,we have same thinking :D

David

2. davidross

davidross Registered Member

hi Blue, sorry for my noise, could you delete my 2 relpies ?:oops:

cheers

David

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

As exected Rising Av and Rising FW are a nice couple, fast and light

4. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Is the free Rising AV good enough to use as the main AV program?

5. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Rising AV free seems to be a good solution for a non-gaming PC. I tried it out on two machines and it works like a charm on a general use PC. The gaming PC had issues with "too fast" drive reads and caused a game halt on several complex games (Mass Effect, Oblivion, The Witcher.) I think the HIPS portion may have something to do with this - or maybe not.

SourMilk out

6. Kees1958

When you setup the HIPS correctly, it is real good. With Rising FW I am not using startup control and application access for webbrowsers. On our XP home box, Opera starts within 2 secs (cold) and 1 sec (repeat launch) on an Athlon 3900 with 1,5MB and Sata 1 drive. This is the fastest I ever achieved.

So it is fast (uses less CPU cycles than Avira), I am keeping it on.

By the way: Nice avitar Big Apple:D

7. Kees1958

Change the deny options in custom setting to ask, that will do the trick. I also noticed disk throughput increase with a benckmark prog. I do not understand how it achieves this. Theoretical AV's delay read and writes (because they are OFTEN implemented as a drive/file filter), so may be Rising has find an effective way to deal with this side effect of an AV engine.

8. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Yes, funny avatar......:D

9. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Does Rising have a web shield/http scanning? This thread (http://forums.comodo.com/anti_virus...products/free_rising_antivirus-t23441.15.html) on the Comodo forums says that it does not.

Is a web shield feature important? My understanding is that anything a web browser downloads is in the cache, which means it must be scanned by a realtime AV. And an http scanner will work by acting as a proxy and scan http traffic before it reaches the browser. Is this correct? If so I do not see much need for a web shield since it seems both should catch it.

10. Kees1958

It does not have a "full" webshield like some other AV's, only a script (web shield). Opera can be set to cache webpages in memory, downloads are saved on disk, I do not know how other browser do this.

11. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Using the "Latest Installer Creation Tool" of Rising AV Free, I created a file with the name "Rav20.52.12.exe". The tool works straight forward.

rising - latest installer.jpg

But when I want to use the latest installer on a clean system, it asks for a registration key. (which I don't have since I use the "free" release)
    Does anyone else have experience with this procedure?

12. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Sorry to but in wilbert. But can anyone tell me what location the updater runs from? Although it downloads updates it can't seem to execute the update on a LUA with SRP.

I am thinking of excluding the the update .exe in hope that it works.

Thanks.

13. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

C:\Program Files\Rising\Rav\SmartUp.exe

14. Kees1958

Note: I first used Rising without file monitor, after tweaking some more (now also using Rising FW) with the settings I tested how much realtime file protection would slow doen the system, I noticed after a full system scan of program partition, there was no speed loss!.

Note without options below (and no initial C-drive scan) the startup of Opera cold takes 3 secs longer, no difference in repeat start)!

When using Rising be sure to select (Auto protect -> File Monitor)

Custom level

System Optimization
    = skip on execution scan for files protected by the OS

Smart speed up
    = skip files with same hash as last disk scan (when not changed, do not scan)

Advanced settings

Enable smart monitor
    = enable above

Monitor File creation
    = scan every file created

My two cents thoughts
    The good HIPS and smart settings of the AV make the whole "going naked (no AV)" discussion irrelevant, since Rising has an HIPS and virtually no slow down for the AV blacklist part.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  15. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I just installed on fresh Vista machine and see RavMonD.exe taking up 30-40% cpu during any file access. What is going on?

16. Kees1958

Do you have ThreatFire installed, check for th HIPS (active defense setup), see HIPS setup tips https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1274286&postcount=57

On Vista64 the active defense is not available. On the gaming rig of my son we are trying out Rising (in combination with Comodo 64 bits), he was a bit jealeous how fast we were able to get the Athlon 3900 running on XP with Rising (good bye Avira free and PRSC paid)

The scan takes ages, but its worth the wait because only changed programs will be checked on execution (no change is minimal AV delay).

Also some screen (scan) displays are mixed up (in English language), so the Vista64 bit (*32 bit) English version is not very well tested yet (but heck it is only external, langage filters have no impact on internal functionality).

From gamers I heard that the best vista64 (gaming performing AV is bitdefender, anyone experience with it on Vista64?)

Regards Kees

17. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

So the Rising free edition is basically the same as the paid version? Does it expire after a year? I just installed it on my laptop along with their firewall.

18. wilbertnl

Just a quick note: Rising AV 20.51.22 crashed on two systems while doing the full disk scan.
    This is the first time that Rising shows unstable on me.

19. Kees1958

@Wilbert

Same here on the Vista64 box after receiving the update, removed Rising on the Vista64 box, did some testing on fastest IE7 start (on Vista64 box) and the winnner is . . Avast!

Regards Kees

20. wilbertnl

I had installed Avast with only the disk access shield. Very nice and resource friendly.
    I also tried Rising with minimal installation, it basically installs a on-demand scanner, no realtime.

Currently I'm leaning towards DriveSentry, especially after the Rising crashes.

21. Kees1958

Rising Av + FW and DefenseWall are kept on the XP box, so incrediable fast, I keep smiling.

22. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

I updated RAV free today and the version showing on mine is 20.52.32. Did a full scan and after some not so few minutes, scan finished with no hiccups. RAV's on-access protection is turned on by default if you have File Monitor module installed, and scans files only during first access of the user's session unless the file has changed to my knowledge. For file writes and file modifications, you have to enable Smart Monitor options.

Still running RAV HIPS + IE script blocker concurrent with Returnil. Fast and light just like my old pc wants it lol.

23. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well I said to my self I was going to quit testing the new av's around. But I found my self installing Rising av and so far there have been no surprises at all. It seems to work well but time will tell. I don't find it faster than McAfee or Norton av's but to be fair almost nothing slows down my new comp. I do hope it keeps working smoothly as I sort of like it already :)

bigc

24. wilbertnl

Such disobedient self! :)

25. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I know it:'( I should be made to spend a week at Disney World in Florida as my punishment:ninja: ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.