Rising AV - free edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pykko, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

See my learning thread on Rising https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1270399&postcount=21 It is effective

Nearly as unintrusive as ThreatFire in my setup

Either use Rising or TF not both, it is also useless to use Comodo's D+ or EQS/SSM/PS/NeaovaGuard/DSA in combination with Rising or NAB/PRSC/Mamutu in combination with Risings's HIPS

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Here is always interest in budget friendly solutions.
    I downloaded and installed Rising Free AV and it's scanning now.
    While running Limited User Account, I noticed that Rising didn't finish the installation untill I logged in as Administrator.
    I hope that it will update automatically while running LUA.

Question: what is your motivation behind the quoted remark?

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
    The Eicar test virus is offered in any format: executable, zipped, double zipped, etc.

3. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I though't id try this instead of AVG 7.5 its actually faster on my system and not just that on the first boot caught 3 trojans one being Trojan Win32 Dns Changer (should i change passwords?):mad:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Personally I change passwords often. just to make sure. but if you feel at all like maybe someone got your password then yes. by all means change it it takes 10 sec and gives you piece of mind.

5. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

True Fajo, it actually found 5 viruses all up avg had missed impressed..Anyone tried the one with firewall? any issues with firewall, is it combined or seperate FW?

6. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I disabled at first all features until I could whitelist things, and one can get an alert with some test files, but it's really very comfortable to live with.

Dave

7. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

i thought it ran rather good but i got spooked when i tried the pc audit and would get better scores before scans as to after the scan and it would show my last scan 24hr ahead of my local time and than this worm being talked about so i removed it and ran my normal AV and AS the AS found virusrescue and said it is adware and this adware was not on my sys before Rising install i did a AV/AS scan before installing Rising AV and my sys was clean they can keep it i'm good with what i have :D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  8. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

I currently have RAV installed. Updated MBMAM and SAS and did a full scan and both found no trace of virusrescue from my pc. There maybe some other means perhaps as to when and how you contracted virusrescue aside from what you're implying that you got it from installing RAV. That is of course assuming your RAV installer is clean. May I ask which program you used that detected virusrescue?

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have been running Rising Firewall for a couple of months. I have Vista and it runs fine, no issues.
    Back then, before the AV was free you got the Firewall for free when you bought the AV. They are two separet programs. They run fine together (of course)

Since I had some minor issues with Twister I have now installed Rising AV again. I personally dont care much for the HIPS part so I let it use the default settings. Hopefully it is safe enough coz I really like the silence, not many disturbing popups.
    Neither the AV or FW gives any impact on performance (but on the other hand I have rather powerful computer)

10. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Does Rising with all features enabled use less memory than AntiVir free scan when writing and ThreatFire?

Thanks

11. Kees1958

Yes, but nowadays RAM is not that important, what is more important to me is that it uses less CPU time and in a CPU benchmark Rising scores about 5% higher.

12. Coff

Coff Registered Member

I know a lot of people use PerfectDisk. This relates to PerfectDisk 8 but may apply to the latest version.

PerfectDisk 8 uses the following registry key in respect of a boot time defrag :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
    "BootExecute" PDBoot.exe autocheck autochk

After installing Rising, it did an update which introduced a file called bsmain.exe and altered the value of the above key to bsmain. It removed any reference to PDBoot. I initiated a boot time defrag with PerfectDisk but upon rebooting there was a message to the effect it could not perform the defrag.

Running a repair of PerfectDisk corrects the key to show PDBoot.exe autocheck autochk * bsmain. The repair does not remove the reference to bsmain but simply adds back the reference to PDBoot. However, the next time Rising is updated the key reverts back.

You need to run a repair of PerfectDisk after every Rising update or, more practical, export the reg key in its correct form then run the reg file before performing a boot time defrag.

13. Someone

Oh. Thanks. I'll probably just stick with AntiVir free and ThreatFire then.

14. Kees1958

Someone,

Antivir + ThreatFire is a good combination, but I may have been unclear

Rising uses less RAM than Antivir + ThreatFire
    Rising uses less CPU time than Antivir + ThreatFire
    Rising scores higher on CPU benchmark (=better) than Antivir + ThreatFire

Note when comparing I had ThreatFire on level 4 (it is a bit faster than on level 3, the default)

15. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Excuse my ignorance, but how come? And in what way will this affect protection and amount of alerts? I'm very interested since it sounds tempting :D

16. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

some more questions about rising (especially it's HIPS feature) :

1) does it protect against low level disk access (killdisk and the like)?

2) is there a way to contact them in case we find errors or something in their software like bman412 found here?

3) i googled around and couldn't find anything, do they have an english forum?

17. Someone

Hi

Oops. I misunderstood. Well I might try it soon.

Thanks very much for the clarification

18. Kees1958

The only low level protection is formed by an ask on driver installation. I thought both DW and GW protected against it (I have tested with kd.exe and kill disk in the past and now for sure DW passed).

I have enlisyted to their forum, but still have not received their conformation mail. I had the same issue with EQS, so maybe my ISP (who checks our e-mails) filtters them out.

Maybe some Chinese spoeaking members can assist here (Perman, Solcroft, o_O)

Thx

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  19. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Has this been addressed at all? Anyone find a work-around to run sandboxie with Rising AV?

20. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

In version 3.28.0.0 it says:
    But I don't know cause I haven't installed Rising.

21. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Kees, I created accounts at http://www.rising-global.com/ with succes using my gmail account.
    PM me if you think I can help you.

22. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

oh i've tested geswall vs killdisk too and geswall passed. i was just wondering if rising had a setting to protect the MBR from attacks like killdisk.

23. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Well the bug finally got to me and I had to try Rising.
    Install went without incidence.
    Did a full scan-found nothing.
    Playing with the settings now.
    A very nice surprise so far.
    Smooth, quiet and very light.
    Reminds me of the title of an old movie that seems to fit here:
    'Run Silent, Run Deep"
    I am more impressed at this point with Rising then I have been with other alternatives.
    Time will tell. :cool:

Dan

24. davidross

davidross Registered Member

it seems Don johnson dont like anybody say Rising good o_O

Hi Don,

most of Antivirus vendors are changing virus samples each other , that is normal .changing virus samples is good for users , dont you think so ?

Not any vendor can collect all the virus samples from every country, even VB100 is changing virus samples with most of av vendors.
    Suporse it is truth that you are saying ,rising is changing virus samples with other vendors , we can know, Rising must be a decent and serious av vendor who is trying his best to protect users from virus from everywhere.

all the folks here , dont care the competition between Rising and kaspersky ,everybody is busy on comparing this free av with other free av and find out if this free one is worth to be used.

I recommend you change your thinking to tech topic ,not just saying "dont like it , not good ....."

Don , you are chinese , yous should tell us more userful information from China
    not just attack a software from you home country . i also have some chinese friends , nobody like you . :thumbd:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

Lets simply not pursue any nationalistic oriented tangent discussions. The subject is Rising AV - a security product.

Regards,

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.