Rising Antivirus Questions and Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ive got a few questions about this particular software.

First and foremost they have a free counterpart here:

http://www.freerav.com/

Its running well on my Win 7 Pro x64 VM. Its one of the free AV's that allows you to turn off the news feed reader which is a nice touch. It offers free email scanning as well as their cloud technology. It has a nice built in captcha feature as well. If you change settings your required to do a captcha when applying the settings. It adds another level of protection and you also have the option to password protect them as well.

When doing a scan by default you scan the C: Drive (or what ever drive Rising AV is installed on I assume), the boot sector, memory, risks, and the system core.

Down to the manual scan. By default it has classifications by Types of Files, Types of Viruses, Split Compound Files, and Optimization options. Also built in is a heuristics engine that is default at medium.

With a scan done with default medium settings it took 22 minutes and 3 seconds to scan 75,485 files.

With a scan done on all default medium settings with the addition of scanning for suspected boot sector viruses, suspected Windows viruses, suspected malicious script, and suspected macro viruses the scan took 22 minutes and 22 seconds. For the increased scanning options and the measly 19 second addition its well worth it I would say.

By default it also has smart speedup which I assume is some sort of caching where it will only scan files with a changed date recently or something to that effect.

Now on to my questions.

What cloud technology do they use? Is it in house or someone elses and if so whos?

Are there any detection tests out there for this particular AV?

Attached Files:

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I was about to quick test it today if everything goes well. I haven't tested their v2010 yet so i really have no idea what to expect. But i did have quite good experiene with it before detection wise. But it was rather slow on my netbook.
    We'll see.

I just hope the defense module now works under 64bit, otherwise it's nearly useless these days as almost everyone use 64bit anyway...

3. whitedragon551

It weighed in at around 30,000K during the middle of a scan on my VM.

4. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I do not think the HIPS module is 64bit yet but everything else works fine. Everything is a in-house engine. I will submit a support ticket to them and see if they will soon have a full 64bit HIPS.

5. whitedragon551

So in house cloud technology. Any detection tests with it? I did a bit of testing with MDL and it detected all the trojans I threw at it.

I saw on their site that they have the largest cloud center in Asia as well as a slew of certifications:

http://www.rising-global.com/About-Us/Awards-Certifications/Awards-Certifications.html

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

They are good, all malware detected by the behavior blocker is sent to Rising to be analyzed and from old threads normally in one of the next updates the malware that was detected by the behavior blocker was detected by the sig scanner.

7. whitedragon551

I dont think their free AV has the behavior blocker. This was just the free version I was testing.

Anyone know of detection tests that this program has been in?

8. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
  9. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
  10. whitedragon551

The first one isnt even the same version. Random links from a notepad document arent exactly a reliable testing method.

11. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

The free version has the behavior blocker, alerts should say "Malcious Behavior Intercepted"

12. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

i agree with you

but unfortunately , u would see lots of this in forum by people just picking up samples from MDL

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, stuff listed on MDL is everything live ppl find on the net. So it's perfectly credible. What's more problematic is testing methodology and comparing of different products. You have to make a test of compared products on the same day so they have to counter the same threats. Saying some is better because it detected todays threats perfectly but other product failed with the next days threats, that's not comparable.

14. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

15. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

exactly true , thats what i meant

16. whitedragon551

Did you ever get to test it?

Irrelevant since Im talking about v2010

The issue I have with youtube videos is 10 sample links is simply not enough. You have to have a large sample size. The larger the sample size is the more realistic the percentage is of the actual detection rate. Its all based on the central limit theorem.

17. clocks

clocks Registered Member

The problem is the larger the sample size, the less samples that will be zero-day. I mostly care about zero-day(like shown on youtube videos), because pretty much all the AVs detect 95-99% of other viruses. I am not that concerned about a six month old virus infecting me.

18. whitedragon551

If you care about 0 day then sandbox your browser. Otherwise the AV should have a large sample size. I dont want to turn this into a discussion on that, but does anyone have any legitimate testing for RAV, not that YouTube crap where everyone who can find a link is suddenly a security expert?

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Fair enough, but I have never heard anyone on Youtube claim to be a security expert. What those people are doing is similar to starting a PC-Babble blog.

20. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I have it here,on VMLite and it's updating..................for 25 minutes already.:thumbd:
    EDIT
    It's almost an hour since Rising update itself.I don't know on a real machine,but here.............go baby,go...away.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  21. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Well not to long ago after i hat re-installed Windows 7 i installed RAV Free and let the update go, but after 1 hour and almost 15 minutes i quit just like you and went back to Avast 5 Free. And i do not use VMLite or equal program.

RAV Free is a lot better in my opinion then it will be with many others but the first update is just ridiculously long.

22. whitedragon551

The first update took me about 20 minutes in a VM which wasnt too bad. Thats one of the differences between the free and the paid versions. The paid version comes with a newer database.

23. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I Installed on VM Win XP. Yes free has the behavior blocker. First update maybe 5 minutes. Seems to work great. Yes its cloud based. I don't think theres that much difference between free & Paid. As far as virus blocking effectiveness, I'm not into virus testing.

24. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

It was tested by PCSL recently:

http://www.pcsecuritylabs.net/

25. whitedragon551

Consistently towards the middle to end with final ranking near the middle. Good thing is that it was 1 of 4 companies that had 0 false positives. Others were MSE, Kingsoft, and Netgate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.