Rising Antivirus 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

yeah,they've got tons of two sides stories.

2. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

KAV detectect/ed few weeks ago when i tried it the Rising firewall as a trojan,long after there ware posts in their forum about this.
    I don't know if they removed the detection now.
    For someone who likes and knows how to configure rising HIPS modules i think it's a good choice,and very light.

3. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I keep hearing tell that rising is unethical, dishonest, and just bites a fat one in general, any truth to these allegations?

4. jrjroberk

jrjroberk Registered Member

http://chinadigitaltimes.net/tag/yu-bing/

I guess this isn't Enough for you, is it?
    If it isn't, then, No Evidence against Rising will be Enough for you.

5. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

there goes rising :thumbd: :'( :cautious: :cautious:

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

That's extreme. A (borderline ?) criminal organization.

You might as well install FunWebProducts or Vundo on your computer.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not really. Even though they may have other business stuff behind, they are no different than how Intel is bullying AMD on CPU market.
    The program still does the job regardless.

8. 1timeuserrr

1timeuserrr Registered Member

Well, I tested Rising in my own laptop and in my cousin´s PC. My cousin is currently studying at the university so he is more exposed than me to viruses and trojans.

In my laptop:

As in the past three weeks that I tested Rising, I never lend my USB or insert it into any ¨public¨ computer, and I was very careful when visiting sites, etc.
    My laptop didnt suffer any problem/infection. Rising never alerted me of any infected or suspicious file.

My laptop was running very smooth and faster than with McAfee or Avira and in my test with old viruses, it´s detection rate was good.

In my cousin´s PC:

I reviewed Rising´s detection log in this PC and I could find more than 50 infections catched by Rising, but my cousin insisted that his system was still infected because everytime he inserts his USB memory into other friends computer, their antivirus found viruses/trojans and also because his PC was running slow.

I uninstalled Rising and installed Avast, and Avast found two different trojans in his system and in his USB memory. Trojans not found by Rising.

I´m currently using KIS 2009 in my PC and NIS 2009 in my laptop and both are great. I really prefer McAfee (I have a year subscription) to Norton but I have serious problems with McAfee Total Protection and my network.

Well, from my experience I can confirm that Rising is noy -yet- a good solution against malware.

9. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

One thing I hate about RAV and RIS is the default 15 seconds of response time from the alert boxes, which should be 60 seconds at least. Anyone here who, while standing 3 ft. away from his PS and holding a scalding hot cup of coffe, who is able in 15 sec to set down that scalding cup of coffee and get to his PC and find the damned mouse in order to click ignore?

Also, the disable all defense doesn't turn off all defence, because its HIPS is still running. I found out that when IoBit Smart Degrag was attacked several times by Rising.

Dave

10. 1timeuserrr

Totally agree! those 15 seconds in the popup in the middle of the screen suck!

There are other kind of alerts that appear in the lower right part of the monitor that lasts 60 seconds and you even have the option to cancel the countdown, but it doesn´t happen with the other kind of alert which corresponds to the HIPS defense I believe.

11. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

1. Nice to see good contribution to the topic as 1timeuserrr test. Sadly only a few to answer to the poster RejZoR (it will be interesting to know) : "What i'm wondering is if anyone has ever seen heuristic detection with Rising." and "If anyone has ever had a heuristic detection, can that person post a screenshot of it here or a detection name?"

2. @ dw2108, at least in Rising Firewall the user can configure (in 'Detailed Settings') the display time easily (by default 60 sec.); in Rising AV I don't know though (I'm using Avast right now).

3. Resumes interesting to see that what is crucial is to attack Rising with projected feelings like Freud liked to analyze. And he known well why... To distract is the best way to ignore what is undesirable for us - but that it's real... Psychological projection is a absorbing issue that we see in security forums also...

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some off topic posts removed. Please use the personal messaging system or email for private conversations.

13. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

+1, The same from me.
    The firewall part alert boxes permits stops the countdown, but the ones from the AV & Smart Active Defense not.
    With the Smart Active Defense alert boxes, I'm thinking hasn't time edit possibility. Does someone discovered something for increase time or stop countdown for these?

Advanced thanks!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Those 15 seconds can be increased to whatever you like. I've set it to 60 seconds. Just go to File Monitor and you can set that setting there.

15. 1timeuserrr

I've done my own research. Very very limited I know but I hope it helps someone.

Regarding the heuristics... according to my cousin's experience, it seems that the heuristic is not working as it should. His computer got infected by very well known trojans (detected by Avast, Nod32 and AVG installed in his friends' PCs) that obviously were doing non-conventional things (behaviours) that neither heuristics or HIPS or it's Advanced System Protection/Malicious Behavior Interceptor were able to detect...

I have another cousin of mine running Rising Internet Security (hehe.. cousins are my guinea pigs :D ) and I will pay him a visit this weekend. I'm planning to give him my McAfee license. I will scan his PC with McAfee and will post the results here. This time I will write the virus/trojan name down.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  16. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ 1timeuserrr, a good research indeed and turned out to be which is meaningfully related to the topic. It's good to see based and useful assertions that are appreciated. If heuristic isn't good enough and like the signatures aren't expanded I go on with Avast for now; I'll try Rising AV later). Maybe your cousin could help us if their PC is heavy infected...

BTW, it seems that is possible to configure the display time (RejZoR'suggestion; good news to zen_usuario, dw2108 and 1timeuserrr).

Also: can someone tell us if the help file is good? Thanks in advance.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

This is the timer...

Attached Files:

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

To be honest, I have indeed seen heuristic detections from Rising. However, I did not want to post on this thread because what I noted was about two years ago and I have no record or pictures left of any detections from that period, so what I can tell will have no meaningful impact.......All I can say is that Rising does have a working heuristic engine.

19. 1timeuserrr

Sorry but this doesn´t change the 15 seconds timer for the messages that appear IN THE MIDDLE of the screen which I guess are triggered by some malicious behaviour. The one that you point is for the ´File protection´ alert messages and this is the kind of message where you can even cancel the timer countdown.

I will try to setup a virtual machine, install Rising and try to trigger it´s alerts so I can post an image here. If not, I will do it in my cousin´s PC ;)

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I just pointed it out how it looks. For behavior monitor, you have to set it in that section.

21. zen_usuario

I'm thinking the HIPS part of RISING (Smart Active Defense) hasn't the option of edit or cancel the countdown from his alert boxes. "Malicious behaviour" is covered by "Smart Active Defense". I don't know if there is another "way" for do it (can be some registry edition...).

By another hand, RISING AV & RIS has a tool for antitrojan, it's called RISING PC Doctor. It's downloadable (english) from the home page and after installed shows integrated at "Tools" tab under the name of Antispyware.
    I don't know if this tool can take care of the trojans you named at your test, but can be thing of interest. Also this tool has protection for USB media.

Thanks a lot!

22. 1timeuserrr

When I was testing Rising, I contacted Rising Customer Support desk and they told me to install PC Doctor for it's anti-spyware function as trojan detection is already included in Rising AV features.

Sure PC Doctor has also anti-trojan features but I believe it is deactivated when Rising AV is detected.

Anyway and as I told in other thread, PC Doctor doesn't update daily so it kindda gives me the impression that Rising is not investing much time in developing it and I ended uninstalling it along with Rising Internet Security 2009 (for which I bought a license).

Regarding the 15 seconds timer, hope Rising changes it soon.

23. zen_usuario

RISING PC Doctor is still in beta stage, and I guess is a complementary tool also for RIS or RAV. I'm thinking also this tool is more focused to Anti-Trojan than Anti-Spyware, but I'm not sure (this should explain the lower update frequence).

In my case, I'm using RIS2009 with PC Doctor, and shows full activated. Allways I put on an USB Stick, a informative balloon appears. Also advertisements for not installed Windows updates.
    A "right click" over his icon tray shows all options enabled.

I've scanned some times my system with the Anti-Trojan and Anti-Spyware features from PC Doctor, and founded a "System.ini" file in "System32" folder and some registry traces, no major detections.

24. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

To trigger Heuristics and more hips protection everything has to be set in high. I entered an infected website last friday and the web trojan defense poped up. Then I got some heuristics alerts. What I didn't like is that when I clicked delete it said that it ignored the threat. And it says so in the log as well. I would like to test it more agains infected sites to see how it behaves and if it ignores it again.

25. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

I think it's focused more on antispyware, as its chinese counterpart is "Kaka antispyware".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.