Right click scanner

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by PrevxHelp, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello all,
    We've had quite a few reports of problems with the right click scanner and I just wanted to clarify some of the functionality.

When right clicking on a file which has been recently downloaded by a browser, the current right click scanner implementation will most likely trigger the Windows "Open File - Security Warning". Prevx uses a very light integration for the right click scanner but it isn't flawless because of this warning.

We will be adding a more conventional right click scanner (which uses a shell extension into Windows Explorer) but it does create more overhead and a marginally wider scope for potential problems.

We will still have the option to revert back to the current right click scanner but I think for many users the more user-friendly scanner will be a benefit when scanning downloaded files.

And just to clarify further: the "Open File - Security Warning" prompt has a "Run" button. Clicking that Run button will not run the file, but will run the scan: no infection will execute at that point.

Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts on this! :)

2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I am assuming this refers to "older", stable versions too?

Because I remember once getting scared by similar behaviour. Recent dl, right-click scan and I got the prompt.

I really don't like seeing prompt to execute files when I am not trying to run it :) If this behaviour is present in current stable releases, then it explains my experience.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Yes it is, and I agree with the prompt being jarring when just trying to scan a file (which is the primary reason why we're going to be redoing it :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.