ridiculously long scanning time

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by BTIsaac, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTIsaac

BTIsaac Registered Member

I already asked this in the 2.7 subforum five hours ago, but received no response. Earlier experience tells me that all questions asked there are simply ignored, so I have no choice but to ask this here.
    I have this habit where I used to run an in depth scan on a daily basis. I've gotten used to it lasting 36 minutes at most. In the past month, this scanning time went up to over 40, and slowly increased to 46. Just this week, it went up to 48+, and has been increasing almost regularly now. Currently, it's around 51-52. I don't get it. There haven't been any updates to any support parts, and nothing major has been added. The file count is the same, and the scanner isn't lagging at anything in particular, it's just generally slower. Is this natural? What is causing this? Is it a NOD issue, or there something is wrong with my PC?

note: double post in 2.7 subforum removed (staff comment)

2. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Of course more signatures the more the scanner has to check for, the longer it takes. But this all should only increase in not noticeable time.

Module update might cause slower scan time, for example the last archive module added support for more archives. This would be noticeable in scan time.

But my best bet the hard disk is getting older and slower. Do you defrag your disk on a regular basis? This should speed up things. You can check your disks for errors with certain programs out there, there might be a problem with it. You can also do a benchmark now and one in a month (or so) to see if the benchmark also gives slower performance. You can do that with HDTune for example..

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

As Bas_Kasp once said, "Who runs schedule scans anymore anyway."

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

What version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus are you running?

Some additional archive formats were added in the past few weeks. If you disable scanning inside of archives does that make any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. BTIsaac

I'm running version 2.7, the archive support module hasn't been updated since july (that's what the info says at least), and last I checked, the disk doesn't need any defrag. And this wasn't happening over a few months time, it happened in just a few days. The only change that happened since then, besides the signature updates, was a minor motherboard problem (the battery to be precise). That can't cause something like this, can it? As for the archive scanning, it's disabled, but like I said, I'm running an in-depth scan, so it's done either way. Without that, an ordinary scan normally takes 12-13 minutes. I ran a quick scan a few minutes ago, and it took a little less than 14, but I doubt that's such a dramatic difference.

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I cannot think of how a CMOS/RTC battery replacement would have an effect on scan times--if there was a problem with the drive's geometry changing post-replacement then I think issues would show up long before a virus scan was attempted, e.g., during the operating system boot cycle.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. BTIsaac

No replacement was done. Just a change to the boot settings. I disabled quickboot a few months ago, and just recently, I encountered the problem again. I pushed the button that resets default settings, and everything went back to normal (even the quickboot was re-enabled).

8. BTIsaac

Just a quick notice. The scanning time went back below 45 with a recent update. Here's hoping it will go back to 35 eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.