RFW 2009 (Rising Firewall) Free + RIS 2009 Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Someone, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Re: Rising Firewall Free Edition?

it might not be NATIVE 64 bit, but it works just fine with Vista x64.

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

This is how it will be until the next OS. As Microsoft has stated there will be no more 32bit OS after Vista. So we shall see. I would rather see the move to 64bit at least then everything would be unified, instead of X number of problems due to the 2 platforms every manufacture has to deal with currently.

3. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

Nice one, Ellison, no nag :thumb:

Version 20.62.10 plus an extra: URL filter block phishing and other malicious websites ...and so on

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I think this is a promotional version for a few months though.Im not sure what happens then,but in any cae the free should be around.Ive copied the skins folder from this in case i have to revert back to the free version.
    ellison

5. ellison64

I emailed rising about how the purchased license for the firewall and av works..e.g would the firewall still work after the 1 year subscription (i knew the av wouldnt).Here is the reply which contains the relevant information...
    ............................................................................................
    After the license expired, the AV and firewall will not work any more, you should renew your license.
    Now, we provide free version firewall 2008 a full function licence. but after RISING releases products of 2009 version, there will be difference between free version and shareware.
    To continue use Rising free version product, you need to uninstall your Rising 2008 free version products and download and install RISING 2009 free version products. But the paid version can update to new version directly.
    ..............................................................................................
    ellison

6. Yoda1953

We'll see.........:doubt:

Good idea about the skins !!

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

SRP=Software Restriction Policy. I built in security feature in Pro versions of Windows. There you whitelist what software you allow to run or not to run. Here is a small tutorial.

Wow, I didnt know that. I mailed Rising company a couple of months ago and asked them about 64bit support and they answered that the firewall did not support 64bit (The AV did partly), so I let it be. But if you say it works I will install it.
    Cheers.

8. entropism

entropism Registered Member

If you go to the firewall page, it even lists Vista x64 as compatible.

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Actually it doesnt say explicitly 64bit, just the diferent versions of windows. It is a bit confusing since they state that the AV does work in 64bit (active defense does not tho) and it is easy to think that they are saying that the firewall does too. As I mentioned earlier Rising support told me that the firewall isnt compatible with 64bit (but they are "bending them selves" to meet the customers demand" :) )
    But hey, thats all just semantic, I have now installed the Firewall in my Vista 64 and it seems to work just fine and I am happy that I can use the software I paid for :) :thumb: hopefully there is no fundamental glitches or lowered security (that doesnt show) when it is installed on 64bit

10. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

o_O Uhh, their marketing policy is a bit too complicated for me. I think that's why they messed up lately with the nag screen. I think i can live without Rising alltogether...

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

11. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ sukarof, thanks for the interesting FRP'info. Appreciated.

@ ellison64, useful the shared Rising'info free versions about. Thanks for that.

I'm using Rising Firewall without annoyances now.

12. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

In other words there going to strip it to bare bones and force you to buy the new paid version. good thing there is many FREE alternatives out there.

13. ellison64

I dont think anybody is being forced to buy anything.Most free versions of firewalls and avs are crippled in some way ,so i dont see any difference here.one disappointment for me is that the license for the firewall seemingly has to be renewed yearly as it stops functioning.I would have preferred just paying for upgrades and new features,rather than this "rental" feature that many vendors seem to adopt now.
    ellison

14. ellison64

I agree the marketing policy is strange and not very well thought out.I would willingly purchase the firewall license if there was no yearly cessation of its functionality.The customer should have the choice of whether to upgrade or not ,without the threat of the software not working any more.In that case i would stay with the free and rising looses business.
    ellison

15. Yoda1953

No more nag screen!

16. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Sry for awakening this old thread.Can someone help me with a link for the latest version of Rising Free Firewall.I tried searching with Google translate but with no luck.
    The free version It's now at 20.77.20 i have it on one pc but on other two PC 's it won't update .I tried all day and keep getting Network connection Failed message.
    Thanks

17. Fuzzfas

I have the suspicion, that they haven't updated the installer of the free version... I was searching for the same thing about 1 1/2 months ago and couldn't find a new installer.

18. ellison64

The version that can be downloaded here http://safe.xunlei.com/promotion/rising.html still updates fine for me.Its now at 20.78.The server can sometimes be slow though
    ellison

19. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Thanks very much for the link.It's not needed anymore as a few hours ago it updated on both machines.
    I was gonna gave up,but i registred at their site and started live chat with technical support.
    Just wanted to say that even if i started with i'm using the free edition ,the support was awesome,they responded in seconds.
    Just when to send them the logs,i said i'll try one more time and it worked :)
    I was glad and i forgot to ask about a newer installer. o_O

20. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

I found a link in a blog to version 21.19.1.0.
    The link points at the chinese Rising site (rsdownload.rising.com.cn).
    The user who posted the link in the blog suggested - it works for one year, updates included.
    So I gave it a try, just downloaded and installed it, no registration or anything needed.

It's in English

RFW1.png

The main window

RFW2.png

Update to version 21.20.13

RFW3.png

And the FW seemingly works too

RFW4.png

As stated, it's from the official Rising download side.
    But I'm not sure, if the blog poster is right (1 year) or this works only for the trial period.

Oh, and I am also not quite sure, if a link posted here is very welcomed by forum officials.

Cheers

21. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Looks like they updated the GUI. Looks nice.

22. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

Hi,
    please, can you PM the links for the blog & the download?

I'm just using the Free Edition 20.78.10 now, and I'm very interested to check this new and if it still free or a year free.

Thanks a lot!:)

23. Fuzzfas

If someone manages to solve this mystery (if it's free and for how long), please post. I checked Rising's site and they give an older installer version than the one here. They also seem to offer 1 year firewall but for those who buy 1 year AV license.

24. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

The same here!:thumb:
    I'm usin free vers, and updates fine, but this showed...can be a "beta"?
    Time ago I've retrieved the Free Edition from a "tucows.com" link, but not exists there now, and the link shows nothing.
    RISING support guaranted me (by e-mail reply) that Free is still free and for the time free.

Mystery, yes...:blink:

25. MeFer

MeFer Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.