RFW 2009 (Rising Firewall) Free + RIS 2009 Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Someone, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Well the international versions of the Rising products are 100% freeware.

Firewall/HIP/Intrusion Detection
    Antivirus/Spyware/Malware/Adware

2. tipstir

Looks like the free RFWINTFree reverts back to the Trial version, mine expired today that's how I know it's working as a trial.. Too bad

3. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I'm using Rising Firewall 2008 Free Edition. Like I don't need updates (that turn it to trial) it works like a charm and smoothly than 2009 version.

4. tipstir

True firewalls don't need to be updated, but then again if it has a lot of features that need to be updated then you're stuck with something not protective.

5. tipstir

I think I found out what the issues were..

6. gery

gery Registered Member

what were the issueso_O?

7. tipstir

Unable to access network shares or network system couldn't be access. One I disable the firewall I was able to access the shares. This started to happen 2 days ago. One system reported RFW was a trial and started to prompt for register fee. Lost access to my server running RFW. Once that was removed all well. Really not much free stuff to try and see what works.

When I ran my license copy of PC Tools Internet Security on the two system with a full scan. Boy you wonder what Rising software protecting.. One thing I always like about PC Tools was that it could find tracking cookies or bad ones. I had gone to a site by accident the other day and sure enough PCT IS block bad cookies found.

I know each program going to handle stuff different. I also tried CIS 3.10 I have still on one system going. There are some other issues with RFW I wanted to make sure it was RFW causing it. Restoring backup *.TIB files with full C images they have RFW/RAV on them. Results show once the system was restored. That was find. Once the system was shutdown after a update from Rising then issues appeared. So I had changed the trust zone to match everything and still doesn't allow access to network shared folders, drives, printers, and systems.

8. tipstir

I've ditched RFW/RAV once removed all on the LAN was able to connect. RAV has missed a lot of stuff also so that's gone too. Good luck

9. tipstir

For my server here I had to installed Rising International Free RAV since that supports Server which I run is the Enterprise Edition 2003 R2 SP2. I'll use the enhanced firewall for it but not Rising RFW that has shown there are some bug issues with network shares causing blockage.

10. tipstir

Using Comodo Firewall Leak Test on RFW

I had to restore from an image to a system. It had RFW and RAV on that image loaded prior. So for a firewall test I use Comodo Leak Test and these was the results for RFW.

Attached Files:

11. tipstir

This is to show you what happens when you run the same test above in Comodo Firewall (CIS) but I did the same exact process with both firewalls neck and neck. RFW seems to have issues blocking some of these test shown above. When you click on deny or block they seem to still go through opening up the browser. Under Comodo Firewall Itself with Proactive Defense once you click on block it doesn't go through. Rising needs to run these test to fix the problem otherwise the Firewall is useless .

Attached Files:

12. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

IMHO, this test lacks credibility. It's made by Comodo and Comodo is the only single app that can pass all tests.

13. tipstir

Could be so but still give you a run for the money to see how they both perform side by side or should I say PC by PC. There is a UK site that does test and they have their own software to test. So I could try that and see how both firewall perform in those test.

14. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

You can't test the firewall alone. Because Comodo has hips and Rising firewall doesn't. You have to test with Rav on and all settings in high.

By the way my Rising firewall still works. It hasn't reverted to trial yet 0_0

15. tipstir

I did test the RAV on high alone with the RFW. I wonder how the RIS would have done? But those RIS are expired even after I restore the backup images. RAV I still like that as AV. Although Avira PE is strong also but lacks network drive support scanning download malware scanning. Bummer. RFW doesn't have RegProt features which you would need to use with RFW. Comodo Firewall + Proactive 3.10 really don't need RegProt, but at times it seems to miss some stuff trying to set run or run as in the registry. I'll still keep that as security backup active.

16. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

I get 150 in the score. Still I think that Rising is designed to not bother so much with alerts. It can't pass that test and also be as silent as it is for the casual user.

I noticed you're running Rav on a server. Does all the features work in server environment ?

17. tipstir

Yes.. RAV full featured. Scan all network share drives where Avira PE can't run on server, Comodo CIS with AV does run on Server. RAV, RPCD and RFW all run on Server. RFW does have a bug though if you change your IP or routing address or router RFW locks down with ARP Spoofing but even if you allow it won't know what network your on. I had to uninstall RFW reboot, login, re-install to fix the issue.

There another site in UK that have tested over 500 pest to run on AV I see RAV came out at 96% Avira PE 99% only 3% difference.

18. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

By the other hand.... RFW + RAV passed OK:

* PC Security Test 2007
    * 5 & 6 test of Anti Keylogger Test (AKLT)
    * PCFlank Test
    * System Shutdown Simulator (SSS)
    * Trojan Simulator

Not bad at all, at least for me. :D :thumb:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  19. tipstir

I feel if Rising was told about all of this they would fix the issue. Again unless everyone goes underground into the unknown areas of the internet I am sure these attacks would be greater than those who don't even venture into that world.

20. Boost

Boost Registered Member

It's too bad a few individuals here dont venture there,as their "bulletproof" security setups would finally be put to a real test.

21. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I go there all the time...as a matter of fact that's all I ever go. :D

EDIT: Besides Wilders of course.

22. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I go there to get my software and entertainment items :D

23. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

You dirty dawg you -- *puppy*

24. tipstir

Well I go everywhere since this internet started going off BBS then to Prodigy and AOL then Beta Test Browsing the Internet when it was young. Now I don't go all the time. Everything is set to the max when I venture into the unknown! Otherwise all hell breaks loose. :D

25. tipstir

My test wireless laptop runs RIS (Rising Internet Security 2009 English/Chinese version over 4 months), I might have figured a way to get around the that nag screen I had posted and have this free version that turns into a trial turn back into the free. I don't know yet it going to work but so far it updates and protecting.. I want to run the Comodo Firewall Leak test and there is 500 pest test from UK. I want to see how well this IS does.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.