Reviews

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by -z3r0-, Jan 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Me too, on that Uinstall Program, you ever have any problems with it? I read a review one time on my System Suite 4 that said everything was great, except the uinstaller, when monitoring it got confused and looked at Windows OS stuff working in the back ground and many times mistook that for part of the program :eek: you can just imagine what that didon the reviewers machine. Since reading that I have always been hesitant to use any of them. You are one of those who have been around (trust your opinions). I will give it a try.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

TU takes snapshots of the registry & other key areas of the computer, to reflect their status before-&-after a program is installed. You can expand & view TU's record of any install so as to see exactly what changed. Doing this is interesting, reassuring, educational -- but unnecessary. I began using TU in 2001. As you may have noted, I am addicted to trying out software, expecially security software. In all those years of HUNDREDS & HUNDREDS of installs/uninstalls, TU has ALWAYS taken good care of my computer.

In all probability, the reviewer who had a bad experience was merely receiving just punishment for his many sins. :D :eek: :cool:

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

NOD32: stable, very fast scanning, low on resources, great configuration, very good detection rate and the update frequency will be increased in the future...

KAV: some stability problems, very slow scanning, hard on resources, good configuration, the best on detection rate and updates every hour...

You can install them, separately, see what works better on your system and than choose the best for you. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hmm. Well there might be for some, but i doubt that more people are seing stability problems with Kav than with any wellknown AV, i have used Kav 5 since the start and haven't seen any.
    7-8 minutes to scan 75000 files is not slow in my mind.
    Kav uses between 10mb and 15mb on mine (kav.exe add's another 850k) that's not hard on resources. Other than that i agree. ;) :)

Attached Files:

• 13.png
      13.png
      File size:
      698 bytes
      Views:
  5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Some of these problems have been due to previously installed AV's not being completely removed from the system and by accepting the default settings with the latest versions with the network module enabled.

Further, it is not always hard on resources as I am running KAV 5 personal on an old Pentium II, 192MB Ram with no slowdown whatsoever and IMHO, it can be considered as one of the 'lightweight' AV's to consider for any computers, young or old.

KAV as with many security applications, will run much more happily on 'clean' systems rather than mature ones.

6. Blackcat

The only program which Total Uninstall may not be the best for is the firewall, LookNStop; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=61088.

Otherwise I have used Total Uninstall many times and I have never had a problem. After either using Add or Remove or the program's internal uninstaller to remove the software, I always reboot before using TU. This seems to work to good effect.

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Two days ago I test it and still have some computer freezes and some RAM picks...
    NOD32 is much faster than KAV...
    I talking about all the resources and not only about RAM...

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I agree with you...

Maybe in a clean system the KAV works much better, but will be good if it allways works without problems...

9. Blackcat

Crow, I am still looking for any AV which can do this ;)

10. Don Pelotas

I believe you, but that still doesn't mean that Kav has stability problems just because you had trouble. You wouldn't say that if someone else had problems with Nod that is has stability problems, would you?
    Yes it is, but it doesn't mean Kav is slow, just that it's slower than Nod. BTW Nod is "only" 3,5 minutes faster on the same 75000 files.
    Yes, i know that. ;) :)

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

That it's true :D

But KAV should fix some problems...

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I already had problems with NOD32 but I can leave with them because it's simples, with KAV I have stability problems...

I had problems with KAV, but that doesn't mean that all will have the same...

As I said on the first reply of this Topic, first we have to use the program and see how it works on our system and then choose... ;)

13. Don Pelotas

I couldn't agree more, Crow. ;) :D

14. divedog

divedog Registered Member

I agree if you play games you will need the lightest AV you can get KAV was much to heavy on my 2.4ghz P4 to run games like half life 2 or Doom 3, KAV trial version left hidden data streams on my PC. Nod trial will uninstall just fine. Add Bo Clean and you have light and fast. If you are paranoid that something may get by use one of the on line scans available once a week. Here is one that’s free and uses the KAV engine it won’t delete anything unless you buy it but it works great for a double check and doesn’t install anything heavy. When playing games I shut down the firewall to save resources and let the router do it’s job.

http://www.mwti.net/antivirus/free_utilities.asp

Just my 2 cents

15. StevieV

StevieV Registered Member

My experience, FWIW. I trialled NOD32 about 18 months ago. During my trial period I was infected by a trojan ('the beast' I think it was called) which was completely missed by NOD32 but was picked up by TrojanHunter. Although TH picked it up, it wasn't able to delete it. I finally got it off my system but it wasn't a quick or easy process (not for me anyway). I then switched to KAV and have been using it ever since. It doesn't noticably affect my system - Athlon XP 2400+, 512Mb RAM- and has never let anything through. The first thing I did when trialling KAV was to go straight back to where I was infected with the trojan and KAV got it and deleted it with no problems. I'm not saying NOD32 is a bad program, I'm sure it's great, but I for one am sticking with KAV. Good luck with your search.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.