Returnil with MS Fingerprint Reader

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by daniel952, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daniel952

daniel952 Registered Member

Coldmoon or users of Returnil 2010:

I have tried to use a password to log into the Returnil 2010 interface using the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader, but the fingerprint reader does not recognize the Returnil login prompt as a login screen. Because I use a long password to protect my Returnil settings, it becomes quite inconvenient having to type the password out each time.

I didn't have this problem when using the 2008 version of the software. Is there a reason why the 2010 version of Returnil has been made to not work (prompt not seen as login screen) with the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader?

Has anyone else experienced this, or might this be an isolated occurance? How can I get the MS Fingerprint Reader to work for logging into the RN interface?

Good day.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi daniel952,
    The issue is probably related to the differences in the GUIs. Can you take me through a step-by-step of how it worked with 2008 and then where it fails with 2010? Please include the exact text of the error from the MFR.

Thanks
    Mike

3. daniel952

Mike,
    Using either the 2008 or 2010 versions all I do is double-click the Returnil icon. At this point the password box (password prompt to unlock RVS interface) comes up, and I must put a finger on the fingerprint reader to have the programed password retrieved and automatically entered for opening the RVS interface. In the 2008 version, placing a finger on the fingerprint reader surface recognized the Returnil password box (to unlock the RVS interface) as a login screen. The 2010 version does not see the Returnil password box as a login screen. The error I get is as follows: "This is not a login screen".

I'm certain that the 2008 version login prompt has different wording, but I don't think this was the reason for the fingerpring reader not recognizing the 2010 prompt. In reality, I'm not certain if it could be problem with my setup because I'm unaware of anyone else having a similar problem.

One problem that I have not gotten around when using version 2010 is that of the desktop and tray icons not showing up upon restart after both have been ticked, and remain ticked after restarting.

4. Coldmoon

Ok, please send us a note to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com with a reference to this thread and the following logs from your computer:

* C:\Windows\rvs3.log
    * C:\Windows\rvs3-inst.log
    * MSINFO32 report*

* Click START > RUN > Type MSINFO32. On the System Information screen click FILE > Export and then save the file where you can find it to attach to your reply.

Thanks
    Mike

5. Coldmoon

Hi daniel952,
    We received your log and sent a reply. We need to discover why you are not able to generate a MSINFO32 report and why the RVS installation log is missing.

What version of Windows and Service Pack (SP1, etc) are you using?

Mike

6. daniel952

This computer uses XP SP2. The thought crossed my mind about corrupt installation when I first noticed the lack of tray and desktop icons, so I removed and reinstalled with the same result as before.

7. Coldmoon

What happens when you attempt to generate the MSINFO32 file?

8. Coldmoon

Besides the previous question, can you check the following?

1. Is rvsgui.exe running just after logging in? Open Windows Task Manager –> Processes and look for the rvsgui.exe process.

2. If rvsgui.exe is not present, does the file “c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\RVS 2010.lnk” exist? If yes, please attach it to a reply to your support ticket.

Thanks
    Mike

9. daniel952

Mike, I cannot run MSINFO because I have most spplications blocked. Although I installed Returnil without limitations, the rvsgui.exe app is not running in taskmanager.

The file “c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\RVS 2010.lnk” does not exist.

10. Coldmoon

How are you blocking? Through a HIPS/Anti-executable (other than the one in RVS) or through Windows policy?

Mike

11. daniel952

I use software restriction policy for blocking. It seems that rvsgui is the reason the program doesn't show its icon in the tray and on the desktop. My concern at this point is why the program login window is not recognized by the ms fingerprint reader.

12. Coldmoon

Try allowing all for RVS and see if this clears the issue with the tray icon and toolbar. Also see if this will allow the reader to recognize the login screen.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.