Returnil Questions

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by kamy, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamy

kamy Registered Member

HI my anti virus updates by its self so how can i achieve this when returnil
    wipes all updates after shutdown (free version) This is also the same case for windows Updates Need help for both

Also Does returnil work on a pc with A Recovery partiotion built in on a tatoo for recovery or will it affect it somehow

And also what if a virus was to leak in the drive of retunil which is not procteted by returnil thanks as i read the below statement on wikipedia

Extract from wikipedia
    RVS only protects the system partition, making infection of other partitions, such as the one created by RVS, possibleo_O?

Please Help Thanks

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If your system is on all of the time, you can arrange to have the PC automatically reboot at a time when you are not using it in order to disable RVS protection. You can then schedule your antivirus and Windows updates to take place while RVS protection is disabled. The RVS Protection Scheduler can be used to accomplish this in Version 2, but I believe this feature is going to be dropped from Version 3. Alternatively, a Windows scheduled task can be created to reboot the PC at a set time.

If your system is not left on all of the time, you will have to manually reboot the PC to disable RVS protection then check for antivirus and Windows updates manually while RVS protection is disabled.

The RVS Protection Scheduler is available in both the free and paid versions.

Yes, it does work on PCs with recovery partitions (my PC has got one). RVS virtualisation only applies to the system partition, so any other partitions such as recovery and data partitions are not affected.

Although RVS only virtualises the system partition, RVS File Protection can be used to protect folders and files on non-system partitions. By specifying the drive letter of an alternate partition (such as a recovery partition), the entire partition is protected against modification. If you have a separate data partition (recommended), RVS File Protection can help to protect sensitive documents against unauthorised access by drive-by downloads while surfing the web.

RVS File Protection is available in both the free and paid versions.

If you are worried about viruses then you could also consider enabling RVS Anti-Executable Protection, which makes it harder for malware to penetrate the virtualised system partition when RVS Protection is enabled. RVS Anti-Execute is launched as a separate program in Version 2 but I believe it will be fully integrated in Version 3.

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Kamy and pegr,

Your AV/AS/other scanners will still update and work as you expect with RVS virtualization on. The only difference here is that the updates will revert to the signature version that was installed at the time you turned RVS protection on. One good way to deal with this is to schedule a maintenance day where you do the following with RVS protection off:

1. Update your scanners to the latest signature version
    2. Any defragmentation you feel is required
    3. Install Microsoft security and other program updates

@pegr:

The scheduler in RVS 2008 is a simple implementation rather than a service so will only work when you are logged into your account. Further, this has been discontinued in RVS 2010 as we are working to develop a more robust scheduling capability that is not account dependent in a future version. This is why we recommend using the maintenance day or days (as applicable) as described above.

Mike

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Mike,

Oh yes, I forgot about that. :oops: I don't use the scheduler in Version 2 myself, as I prefer the maintenance day approach.

Congratulations to you and the rest of the team for creating a great application. I'm really looking forwards to the next version of RVS. :thumb:

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.