Returnil Questions..

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by WindBlade, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindBlade

WindBlade Registered Member

Hi!
    I have some questions about Returnil..

1. Does it have any conflicts with any software? Cause I saw the Shadow Defender has conflict with Comodo /w Defense+ and since Returnil is kinda based on the same technology, I was wondering if there is such a conflict as well?

Any idea why Shadow Defender has such a conflict?

2. If i'm not wrong, in terms of the effect to the OS, rebooting your PC in sesssion lock mode is equivalent to cold-rebooting your PC in normal mode? Cause when you reboot in Session Lock mode, although the PC does a normal reboot routine, but none of the changes done int he "reboot routine" is written to disk.. Not sure if what i'm saying makes any sense.. lolz..

Thanks.. :)

In order words, if Windows were able to "detect" cold reboots somehow, then even by a normal rebooting when in session lock, Windows should detect it as a cold reboot?

My point is, will this "damage" the OS in anyway?

3. I', not sure if anybody tried, but will the disk cache bring up the image size of ATI by a lot? When I compress my current Disk cache of 5 GIG with WinRAR, it ends up to be about 4 MB.. But this is on a fresh Disk Cache... Thus, I was wondering if the Disk Cache is "emptied" on every reboot or something? Maybe someone who has used installed big programs when in Session Lock can try to RAR their disk cache and see whats the size?

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

1. I can't comment on all software obviously, but I have used Returnil with Comodo Firewall 3 and all my other software without apparent problems.

2. Returnil redirects file changes to either memory or disk cache. There is no 'reboot routine' used by Returnil. You should be fine if doing a cold reboot, since none of your real files were actually changed, other than possibly Returnil disk cache.

3. I don't know much about the disk cache option, but if there's a problem with increased image backup size then maybe try the memory cache option instead.

3. WindBlade

WindBlade Registered Member

ColdMoon dun wanna answer my Questions.. :(

Hmm.> Also, I was wondering if there is an option to switch between DIsk mode and Memory mode?

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello WinBlade,
    I did not reply the other day because I thought MrBrian's reply was good. You can switch between disk and memory caching by using the repair feature in the uninstaller. You can find more information in the User's Manual on the Product Support > Returnil Repair page.

HTH

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.